Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Network Status & Built-in Ethernet

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Network Status & Built-in Ethernet
ryguillian

2005-03-10, 12:57

I have a PowerBook G4 12-inch (1.33 GHz):

I was recently having issues with my Internet connection, and while I was trying to figure out what the issue was, I plugged my PowerBook directly into my cable modem via an ethernet cable. However, to my distress, when I opened Network preferences and selected "Network Status" from the show dropdown box it read, "The cable for Built-in Ethernet is not plugged in."

I immediately thought it was a hardware problem and looked into the Ethernet port to see if one of the pins had been damaged, but no, they hadn't. So then I ran the Apple Hardware Test which is on the 1st install disk which came with my PowerBook to see if it would detect something wrong, nothing.

(Also, I tried connecting my iBook directly to the cable modem, and it did show that the ethernet cable was in fact connected.)

So now I'm thinking that I'm dealing with a software issue of some sort. Any and all help would be appreciated!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-03-10, 13:14

Let me see if I have this right...

PB to cablemodem - no network connection detected
iBook to cablemodem - network connection fine
if you're using the same ethernet cable, the conclusion would be PB problem.
(Same thing happen after restart? with alternate cable?)

Hardware test CD shows no problem with PB ethernet port. (suggesting no PB H/W issues)

If you directly cable the PB and iBook (with firewalls off) do they show up in each other's network/rendezvous list?
i.e. can we confirm ethernet port function from iBook to PBook?

Is the PowerBook's Network Status light for ethernet Red, Orange, or Yellow?
Is it first in the priority list (above dialup-modem or airport in the list)?

More troubleshooting info required for comprehensive diagnosis.
ryguillian

2005-03-10, 14:21

To answer your first inquiry: yes, I did try multiple cables and restarting the PowerBook, same result.

When I connect the two computers, it says the same thing. They don't seem to be locating eachother. (Since I can't configure their PowerBook's ethernet port)

The PowerBook's Network Status indicator is red.

I'm not sure what you mean by "priority list", but, under network status they're listed as follows:

[Green Indicator] AirPort <AirPort is connected to the network Wireless. You are connected to the Internet via AirPort.>

[Red Indicator] Built-in Ethernet <The cable for Built-in Ethernet is not plugged in.>

[Red Indicator] Internet Modem <Internal Modem is not set up.>

The problem is: when I connect the ethernet cable to the ethernet port the status for Built-in Ethernet does not change. It's as if it doesn't recognize the cable being in the port.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-03-10, 15:04

You can drag the network status (connection types) list items up and down to establish priority...
i.e. does it first try to find modem, cable, or AirPort
(You can even disable them entirely by tickbox in the configuration options.)

If you drag Built-in Ethernet to the top of the list, it will preferentially seek cabling rather than AirPort. You can also temporarily turn AirPort off via the top menu bar symbol (if enabled)

Once you've got Ethernet at the top and restart, it will seek network via cable.
Then, you can open the network status window and see if the indicator changes.

Double click on the indicator line for Ethernet to configure it (or use the pull downs).

You should see a window like this

Click the "renew DHCP Lease" button

After a minute (hopefully with some cablemodem blinkenlights), you'll get a number.

If it's a 127.0.0.1 or something in the 169.254.x.x range, it's internally generated and you're not seeing the cablemodem or some other settings need to be tweaked.

If it's anything other than those numbers, you're getting DHCP from the network (and if your AirPort is off) and your cable works. Note that if you do this from behind a router, you may get its output, not purely DSL DHCP.

If not, we're deeper into the troubleshooting process...

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2005-03-10 at 15:14.
ryguillian

2005-03-10, 17:24

OK, I will try to be as clear as possible:

This is not an issue of Internet connectivity, but rather, it's an issue of the PowerBook not recognizing that it has an ethernet cable connected to it.

Scenario:

I plug in the ethernet cable into my PowerBook, and then into my router (for example); the status light on the router turns on, indicating that the cable is in fact connected. Whereas the status indicator in the Network Status pane in System Preferences indicates that "The cable for Built-In Ethernet is not plugged in."

I cannot try to retrieve DHCP information, because, it is not recognizing the physical layer (ethernet) and thus doesn't give me any options for configuration (which isn't a big deal, because at the moment I'm just trying to get it to indicate that there is in fact a cable connected to it (and the router).

If I plug the cable between the router (or cable modem) and iBook, for example, the status indicator at least says that the cable is connected (yellow). And the said PowerBook, does not change.
ryguillian

2005-03-10, 17:26

Uh, I don't know how (cosmic forces perhaps?) but the Built-In Ethernet is functioning now. Thank you for all your suggestions.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-03-10, 18:12

Glad to take credit for whacking the cosmic box.
naashraf

Send a message via ICQ to naashraf Send a message via Skype™ to naashraf 
2005-03-10, 22:39

Ok. in my powerbook when there is no cable connected into built-in ethernet port, the ethernet port does not even show up in the network status.only when the cable is connected, either PB end or Router end it shows it status as green.i mean is it normal that ethernet not showing in the network status with unplugged cable? after reading this thread i feel there should be atleast red indicator in my PB when cable is not plugged?
Any comments?

Machine:PowerBook 12" Processor:1.5GHz PowerPC G4 Memory:1.25GB HD:100GB OS:Mac OS 10.4.8
Entertainment:iPod 4G Memory:20GB