Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Advice on buying a Print Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Advice on buying a Print Server
chimerical

2005-05-19, 03:16

Hi,

I'm an newbie to the world of apple and have just moved across from MS but have just bought a powerbook, 15" 1.67Ghz. I'm really impressed and very happy with it. I now want to connect my usb Epson printer to a print server so my desktop computer doesn't have to be switched on inorder to print etc..

I am using WIFI from the powerbook to my 3com wifi router. I want to add a print server directly to this router to allow me to print over wifi also.

What experiences do you guys have with this kind of setup. Any print servers that you really recommend or any that you have had problems with. It also has to support MS XP/2000 as well - so my wfie can print to it from her laptop also.

Many Thanks in advance,
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-19, 06:46

An Airport Express can be a USB print server. Shouldn't have any problems with Windows clients.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-05-19, 10:32

I have battled through getting a Belkin and a Linksys print server to work on the Mac. The biggest thing I found was Mac didn't support the drivers to enable the network printing. Do a search on the forum for "print server" and you will find a thread I started and ended up getting the network printer working. FYI, I have an Epson connected to the USB print server. I am currently using my Linksys print server though. I like the fact I get more ports with it. Read my thread and if you still have questions get back with me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
JoshL75

Send a message via AIM to JoshL75 Send a message via Yahoo to JoshL75  
2005-05-19, 15:57

I'm a big fan of epson printers, but have found that an HP 6840 with its built in wifi works great as a substitute to a print server. Its rather inexpensive, worked quickly and flawlessly and is fast decent printer.
My 2 cents.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-05-19, 18:53

I just bought a HP 1020 and a network print server. The printer is detected and installed using USB, but it is not possible to manually select the driver for IP printing. This was very depressing, and I ran out of time to fix it and just stopped. My HP Laserjet 5MP was a sinch to set up on the network.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-05-19, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
... but it is not possible to manually select the driver for IP printing.
Have you tried the method I talked about in my post? It should allow you to do this.

This is the Link.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-19, 22:17

Advice... buying...

Sounds like a perfect candidate for the appropriately-titled Purchasing Advice forum. MOVING!
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-05-19, 22:53

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have no problem connecting to the print server. It supports Rendezvous (or that new word I can't spell) so all the ports (2 parallel, 1 USB) magically show up. The problem is with the HP software. The printer driver dissapears, never to be found, if the printer is not using direct USB. I tried using gimp drivers, but I guess it is a newish printer.

BTW, I have a cheapo $20 Airlink server.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-05-19, 23:09

From the documentation listed for your print server it doesn't support that HP LJ 1020. The other thing I must throw out there is I could connect to my print servers through Appletalk and IPP but it wouldn't print correctly due to the print drivers not supporting network printing. That is where Gimp-print comes in for drivers that allow network print support. Connecting to the print server isn't the real hurdle as you have found, talking to the printer *through* the print server is the issue.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.