User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

MAC mini ram upgrade

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MAC mini ram upgrade
rdioz

2005-04-28, 19:56

Hi everyone.I'm a new user for MAC(after spent 7 years with PC).
My MAC mini
1. 1.42 G4
2. 256RAM<---too slow
3. Combo Drive
4. R9200 32Mb
i want to know that if i want to upgrade the ram form 256 to 1Gig(cuz it's kinda slow).How much will it cost between let apple upgrade it for me and i do it myself?What tpye of ram that mini use PC2700 or PC3200?
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-04-28, 20:22

either type of ram will work... just get what is cheaper.

And as for installing it... well it's drilled though our heads that it must be done by a certified apple tech. But if you feel up to it, give it a shot.

I've done everything from installing RAM, Airport/Bluetooth kits, and a logic board replacement on the mini. Once you pop it open once or twice it becomes really easy to do.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
rdioz

2005-04-28, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers
either type of ram will work... just get what is cheaper.

And as for installing it... well it's drilled though our heads that it must be done by a certified apple tech. But if you feel up to it, give it a shot.

I've done everything from installing RAM, Airport/Bluetooth kits, and a logic board replacement on the mini. Once you pop it open once or twice it becomes really easy to do.

thank you so much...well i thinking that i'm gonna go and buy a row of ram tomorrow but...one question...where can i find Airport and Bluetooth kits...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-28, 23:06

It should take a standard AirPort card that's available from the Apple store. I don't think you can buy an internal Bluetooth kit, though. You can get a USB dongle instead.

Wickers has done all that because he works as an Apple servicer.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-04-28, 23:14

well, i don't work at apple and i've done 3 or 4 already. however, apple will charge $30 to do it, and will put in RAM from other sources, which might not be a bad idea.

check www.crucial.com for pricing. last i checked it was around $140 for a 1GB chip.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-04-28, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Wickers has done all that because he works as an Apple servicer.
Yah, that I guess should be pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
It should take a standard AirPort card that's available from the Apple store. I don't think you can buy an internal Bluetooth kit, though. You can get a USB dongle instead.
Sadly, this is not true.
You need to buy a kit. A standard Airport Ex won't work inside the mini without an adapter board that also provides a space for bluetooth.

I think I remember us talking about the mini service manual from apple, well how there is a copy floating around online now. If you look in that PDF under upgrades there is only one listing, the kit, and you should be able to see a pic of it. Mind you I'm only going off the one I have access to, which might be different from the one floating around the net.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!