Color Photography Sharing Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Color Photography Sharing Thread
Page 1 of 94 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-07, 13:18

This thread is meant to compliment The Black and White Photo Thread though not just to be a color version of your B&W posts there. This is a place where you can share some of your best shots and get feedback. This isn't meant to be a debate on best styles of shooting images or best camera to use. Let's keep this thread image-centric.

All shots you post direct images of (using [img] tags for or attaching for you admin/mod types) must be your own shots. If you wish to share a photo that you don't hold the copyright to, please only post a link to that image rather than imbedding the image here in this thread.

Any images posted here are fair game for comments and concerns. Please limit comments and concerns of images to constructive opinions. "It sucks" isn't appropriate, instead say what you dislike about the image and why. Of course, everyone loves getting complimented, but please be descriptive in your comments. "It's cool" doesn't give enough detail of why you like it.

So now on to the photos:

Scorned

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2006-12-07, 14:31

I like that! You should totally put a bullet in the chamber so that it looks like it's about to come out!

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-12-07, 14:53

I am not such a fan of photoshopped pictures.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2006-12-07, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Ah, then you must prefer this one:

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-12-07, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
[Freaky image]
Uh, and a good morning to you too...
Disturbing in a way.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-07, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I agree for the most part, though I have to qualify this with all images should have basic level adjustments made in post processing. Color and White Balance correcting is all I really do, other than an occasional crop or horizon adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
Uh, and a good morning to you too...
Disturbing in a way.
This was a project I had to come up with an unusual angle shot. Rather than laying on the ground to take a picture I took it to be seeing an angle you don't normally see. It was kinda interesting taking that shot too. I wasn't freaked out at all. I kept reaching around and adjusting the gun so it would point better into the camera.

Steve, I like the second shot more than the first. The first shot does seem to have too unnatural of color to it and the reflection in the left is hard to get past. It distracts me from the beautiful patterns made by the fish. The second one is far more peaceful and better balanced. While you can't change it, the trees on the far right are a little distracting to me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2006-12-07 at 16:40.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-12-07, 16:23

(click for bigger)

Not much to say about it, really.
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-12-07, 16:39

I love it turtle. I think it is *more* then a bit disturbing but I love it.

I also really like the second one stevegong posted. You have some great shots on your web page. I think the West Virgina series is awesome.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2006-12-07, 17:10

From a photographic point of view, I like the "scorned" picture: Nice DoF - the person is just barely visible. I hope I will never have to see this view in real life, though...

I think the colors of the fish picture are maybe a bit too much, but somehow I like it (I have a weakness for strong colors ).

(Click to get to the correspondig flickr-page for bigger sizes)

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-12-07, 17:18

I'm no photographer, but here are a few I've taken this year that I liked.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-12-07, 17:51

Not great but I like it.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-12-08, 08:24

turtle2472, looks like your gun could do with a cleaning.

Robert Appleby, an English photographer living in Italy, spent some time in Mumbai, Hebron and Pakistan a few years ago, shooting in colour as is his habit (I think he has made some pretty derogatory comments about clichéd black and white documentary photography in the past, but don't quote me on that). The result, available as PDF downloads here, is reminiscent in aesthetic quality to a story in the National Geographic magazine, but without the NG's colonial overtones and condescending fascination with primitive cultures. His pictures capture the dignity and vivacity of his subjects despite the crushing hardship of their daily lives. The collection is therefore not as heavy going as one might expect. Plenty of humour and hope in there!

Really worth taking a look at.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-12-08, 09:45

I love the way the colors pop out: (This one's not mine, but I'm hosting it, so I guess it's OK )

Evil house?:

Crap moon (which was what I wanted) but I love the lights (and cassiopeia is visible):

Converted 07/2005.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Not much to say about it, really.
I like this image of the leaves personally. While it might not technically perfect, it's a nice image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpotter View Post
From a photographic point of view, I like the "scorned" picture: Nice DoF - the person is just barely visible. I hope I will never have to see this view in real life, though...

I think the colors of the fish picture are maybe a bit too much, but somehow I like it (I have a weakness for strong colors ).
Yeah, it's the wrong end to be on for the gun shot. And for all those wondering, it's my wife Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
I'm no photographer, but here are a few I've taken this year that I liked.

Dragon

Squares

Flower
These are nice images, I rather like the dragon too, have to you tried to crop out the guy walking away in the background?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltond View Post
Cityscape

Not great but I like it.
Yeah, I do like this one after getting past all the window bars. It must have been a great view in person. Can you get one looking down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
turtle2472, looks like your gun could do with a cleaning.

Robert Appleby, an English photographer living in Italy, spent some time in Mumbai, Hebron and Pakistan a few years ago, shooting in colour as is his habit (I think he has made some pretty derogatory comments about clichéd black and white documentary photography in the past, but don't quote me on that). The result, available as PDF downloads here, is reminiscent in aesthetic quality to a story in the National Geographic magazine, but without the NG's colonial overtones and condescending fascination with primitive cultures. His pictures capture the dignity and vivacity of his subjects despite the crushing hardship of their daily lives. The collection is therefore not as heavy going as one might expect. Plenty of humour and hope in there!

Really worth taking a look at.
Actually the gun is just well used. It isn't dust in the barrel, it's corrosion from thousands of rounds going through it. I generally clean after every shooting, but use is use.

I enjoyed seeing most of his work. Some of it was to dark for me, but then again that was just the message he was portraying to us. I didn't understand some of his images, but then again I don't watch the news or read the paper either. I guess if I were in the loop I would know better. Since I'm actually going to be taking Photojournalism 1 in the spring (starting January 8th) these images serve well to help me get a better feel for what I'm after project wise. Thanks for the input Dorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
I love the way the colors pop out: (This one's not mine, but I'm hosting it, so I guess it's OK )
Cars

Evil house?:
Clouds

Crap moon (which was what I wanted) but I love the lights (and cassiopeia is visible):
Streaks of light
Yeah, you really shouldn't put the image of the cars up since the copyright isn't your, but it's an interesting photo.

There certainly are some bright colors in it. I like the clouds over the building too, can you brighten up the lower half a little? A bit more detail there would be awesome.

I do like the image of the streaks. I tried once to get some pictures like that and I just didn't like the way they came out. I found myself to close to the road causing the on-coming headlights to blow out my images. Since I like in a city I don't have the opportunity to see a clear dark night that I cant get the moon, stars and cars in. Nice shot though.

Ok, here's a few more I have taken recently:

Alc, I see your bug and raise you one.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-08, 13:42

Some nice snapshots here.

Ryan, even though you don't have "much to say", to me it's both technically and aesthetically a very good shot. Nature abstracts are an acquired taste -some people don't care for them- but I for one find it one of the most fascinating areas of photography. The only thing that might improve it is a little better light to work with (not in your control here), and I might've gotten a little closer to bring the beads of water more into the frame.

Stever,

I was looking at your web site with the natural perceptions page, and in reference to what bobsky was saying about "Photoshopped" images, I have to agree somewhat. The best images on that page - and there are some very good ones - are the ones where you don't notice the digital enhancements. In particular I think you get a little carried away with the saturation controls.

The "Road Behind My House" is a great shot and the reason is, as you examine it, you have to ask "was it retouched?" You don't immediately know because the colors in the foreground are subtle enough that they could be the result of the vapor lamps overhead and/or moonlight, and so you really look at the whole scene and enjoy the contrasts, etc.

The Moonlit Beach shot is nice too except I might actually crop down to make an almost panoramic format (short and wide) image. Having just a sliver of the moon pulls my eye to the top of the frame instead into the picture as a whole. With moon shots like that, it has to be a wide enough angle, "off in the corner" type of thing IMO, to show the moon and at the same time not have it distract from what the picture is really about.

Your Snow Temple shot above is really cool too, thing about that one is it's a little flat (because of the light). I'm guessing you retouched parts of this image too, though it's not obvious / doesn't detract from the overall image. In particular some of the foreground and middle ground look like they've been smoothed a bit to add that ethereal effect. As far as the flatness, you could tweak in ACR (if you shot RAW) and elsewhere to make it a little more contrasty but not "Photoshopped". But otherwise a cool / unexpected scene.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-12-08, 14:19

Quote:
There certainly are some bright colors in it. I like the clouds over the building too, can you brighten up the lower half a little? A bit more detail there would be awesome.
That would require fiddling with Photoshop and I'm not really sure I'm ready to try that yet. But you're correct, it needs more light in the bottom. That was the best iPhoto could handle And thanks.

Converted 07/2005.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2006-12-08, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post

Ryan, even though you don't have "much to say", to me it's both technically and aesthetically a very good shot. Nature abstracts are an acquired taste -some people don't care for them- but I for one find it one of the most fascinating areas of photography. The only thing that might improve it is a little better light to work with (not in your control here), and I might've gotten a little closer to bring the beads of water more into the frame.

Stever,

I was looking at your web site with the natural perceptions page, and in reference to what bobsky was saying about "Photoshopped" images, I have to agree somewhat. The best images on that page - and there are some very good ones - are the ones where you don't notice the digital enhancements. In particular I think you get a little carried away with the saturation controls.

The "Road Behind My House" is a great shot and the reason is, as you examine it, you have to ask "was it retouched?" You don't immediately know because the colors in the foreground are subtle enough that they could be the result of the vapor lamps overhead and/or moonlight, and so you really look at the whole scene and enjoy the contrasts, etc.

The Moonlit Beach shot is nice too except I might actually crop down to make an almost panoramic format (short and wide) image. Having just a sliver of the moon pulls my eye to the top of the frame instead into the picture as a whole. With moon shots like that, it has to be a wide enough angle, "off in the corner" type of thing IMO, to show the moon and at the same time not have it distract from what the picture is really about.

Your Snow Temple shot above is really cool too, thing about that one is it's a little flat (because of the light). I'm guessing you retouched parts of this image too, though it's not obvious / doesn't detract from the overall image. In particular some of the foreground and middle ground look like they've been smoothed a bit to add that ethereal effect. As far as the flatness, you could tweak in ACR (if you shot RAW) and elsewhere to make it a little more contrasty but not "Photoshopped". But otherwise a cool / unexpected scene.

Well thank you for your thoughts. I think I will pull off the so called "photoshopped" images when I have a chance.

the "Snow Temple" was actually not photoshopped at all, and everything I do I do in Camera Raw. I never do any touching up.

That was shot simply with an infrared filter, and it's not snow.

I really want to focus on photojournalism, so a lot of the other stuff are just stuff I've done in the past. Of course, photojournalism must be true to the scene, and I think you can see it in the ballet story I shot the other day.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 14:45

I had to go out and within 1 1/2 hour take a documentary photo. I couldn't caption the photo or even give an explanation surrounding the photo. In other words the image had to stand on it's own. So here is the image. I would REALLY like some feedback on this one since I'm moving into the photojournalism route myself. Don't know if I'll make it my "profession" or not, but I would love to improve all my photographic skills. I did after all change my major to Photography.

No adjustments were made other than a crop. f/11, 1/250, 55mm

Steve, I like the ballet show images. I watched the slide show and I did enjoy most of them.

Last edited by turtle : 2006-12-08 at 15:00.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-08, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
the "Snow Temple" was actually not photoshopped at all, and everything I do I do in Camera Raw. I never do any touching up.

That was shot simply with an infrared filter, and it's not snow.
DOH! I thought it was frost, actually. That explains it.

Quote:
I really want to focus on photojournalism [snip]. Of course, photojournalism must be true to the scene, and I think you can see it in the ballet story I shot the other day.
That's a great series, Steve. You're a talented kid....

I would actually say that what you have there is a mix of documentary and fine art photography. Some of those shots of the women rehearsing, in BW especially, would be great for fine art prints. Of course the only difference between photojournalism and documentary, is what the publication will and won't show, and the subject. If the ballet was the story, it's photojournalism. If you're telling the story of the ballet through a series of pictures, it's documentary. Actually I like documentary a fair amount too, I just live in a place that's too boring to qualify. Great shots though. Sadly I don't think any group of young women would invite me and my camera into their lockeroom, but they should.

Seriously, I always wonder how the guys who photograph these beautiful naked women all day -say for a fine art coffee table book (no prOn)- can stay uh... focused. I'd take like three shots and say "so, you look tense... how about a tasteful massage?".

stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2006-12-08, 15:56

Quote:
Seriously, I always wonder how the guys who photograph these beautiful naked women all day -say for a fine art coffee table book (no prOn)- can stay uh... focused. I'd take like three shots and say "so, you look tense... how about a neck rub?".
Actually, you'd be surprised. Because I'm trying to get as good and perfect of a shot so I focus on what things don't look good and try to get them look better. So I concentrate a lot on the faults. But I don't care much for fashion photography.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-12-08, 16:45

Quote:

Thanks. I cropped out the right side in another version that I printed out, and I prefer it that way. The right-most tip of the leaf is cut off and the entire thing is enlarged (the joys of eight megapixels...). Maybe I'll post it later.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2006-12-08, 16:52

Quote:
I had to go out and within 1 1/2 hour take a documentary photo. I couldn't caption the photo or even give an explanation surrounding the photo. In other words the image had to stand on it's own. So here is the image. I would REALLY like some feedback on this one since I'm moving into the photojournalism route myself. Don't know if I'll make it my "profession" or not, but I would love to improve all my photographic skills. I did after all change my major to Photography.
I'd be interested to seeing a set of pictures to go with this. Can you provide a link maybe? Just going out for such a short time to look for a subject sounds hard. What did your peers come up with?

A lot of the pictures I took while travelling I now find lacking because they don't complete a story. This is why I've been trying to do things like shooting that ballet story.

The other thing I learned about photojournalism is appreciating how close the photographer can get to its subjects without disturbing the scene and being intrusive. Taking a picture point-blank really gives an intimate feeling as if one were there. That too is what I tried to do with the ballet story.

Tomorrow I am going to take pictures at a $20,000 birthday party of this really preppy white girl who's turning 21. I'm pretty sure everyone at the event will be rich, white and preppy, and Greek (of the sorority/fraternity type). As an international student, this sort of thing fascinates me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-08, 17:00

I wish you the best with the party, have fun. Though when I shoot events I am never a part of it and so I end up missing the whole thing, unless you count seeing the even with focus points in your way.

I don't have any other images to go with that documentary image. My assignment was to take and submit only one shot to tell the whole story. It wasn't easy for me. That was the one I came up with. I was going to see about going to the courthouse and take a picture of a disgruntled family coming out of court.

stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

2006-12-08, 17:13

Quote:
I wish you the best with the party, have fun. Though when I shoot events I am never a part of it and so I end up missing the whole thing, unless you count seeing the even with focus points in your way.

I don't have any other images to go with that documentary image. My assignment was to take and submit only one shot to tell the whole story. It wasn't easy for me. That was the one I came up with. I was going to see about going to the courthouse and take a picture of a disgruntled family coming out of court.
Haha, that would have been cool.

Oh, I'm not invited to the party, oh of course not, I'm ethnically asian. I am the photographer for the event. I originally planned on getting away with doing the minimum possible but upon hearing the details and nature of the guests, this is becoming a photo story! And, I already know I won't know anyone at the party.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-12-08, 17:16

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-08, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong View Post
.... But I don't care much for fashion photography.
Me neither, but I do approve of any fine art photograph that includes ripe, round breasteses. And other things that shall go unmentioned here (but I bet if Murbot checks the thread he'll mention it).

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-12-08, 19:20

The castle shot is impressive, Bryson. Wish I'd seen a shot like that in Wales but the weather was mostly overcast and the castles not so beautifully isolated as that one. Which is that?

Also I saw those planes (+2 at least) while driving on the M4 in August. Went right over the motorway. I like it when aerobatic teams practice directly over my planned trip route.

Foj
Veteran Member

2006-12-08, 23:03

A picture I took today while testing out my dad's new digital camera.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-12-09, 01:32

I still love this image.

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-12-09, 02:09

Porsche 911 Targa 4S at the L.A. Auto Show.