User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad OS
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-03, 16:41

It appears that Apple may have added mouse support to iPad OS.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 17:06

Wow. They really are shaping these iPads up as a true ultra portable. I'm looking forward to so many features in the new OS. File Sharing is a huge one for me! I can read files on my network without a separate App to integrate in.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-03, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
It appears that Apple may have added mouse support to iPad OS.
https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/features/ doesn't seem to suggest that.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-03, 18:12

That's why I said "may".
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 19:36

I thought about installing the beta build but just can't deal with the bugs it brings this early to the game. Plus I would have to install the beta macOS too...nahhh. I'll wait this one out. Plus, I don't need mouse support. Files though...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-03, 20:34

So, it looks like there is mouse support as of right now. At least that is what some users are reporting.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-06-03, 21:51

It seems like mouse support is there, and as rumored, it’s part of an accessibility feature.

I like the route that they’re taking. Having it available, but it’s not the primary user input.

Now, fi they could only support extending the display and using external monitors...

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-06-03, 23:09

I'm glad they're forking iOS. The iPad is increasingly being positioned as a laptop replacement, which is not a role the iPhone is designed to take on.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-06-03, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'm glad they're forking iOS. The iPad is increasingly being positioned as a laptop replacement, which is not a role the iPhone is designed to take on.
They've still got some UI use-ability hurdles to climb through. Dude's struggle to copy/paste on stage is a clear example. Sure, it was a demo, but still …

I write quite a bit, and the iPad is not my doohickey of choice because of the relatively useless editing tools. Still a long way to go.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Dave
Ninja Editor

2019-06-03, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
They've still got some UI use-ability hurdles to climb through. Dude's struggle to copy/paste on stage is a clear example. Sure, it was a demo, but still …

I write quite a bit, and the iPad is not my doohickey of choice because of the relatively useless editing tools. Still a long way to go.
Agreed. They've been hobbled in the past, though, with an OS originally designed for a 3.5" screen running on a nearly 13" screen. UI elements designed for a screen that small will feel out of place on one that big, and ones designed for a screen that big will be useless the on the small screen. There really does need to be separate (or at least augmented) SDK for devices with a screen sizes over a certain threshold (off the top of my head, "can't generally be used one-handed" seems like a good starting point).

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-06-04, 18:33

I'm willing to bet that internally, iOS for iPhone/iPod Touch and iOS for iPad has been "forked" for years now, this is just more of a public showing up it.

That said, I'm hyped for the new features, and really glad my Air 2 made the cut.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-24, 13:11

Apple released the beta for iPadOS if anyone want to check for mouse support.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-06-24, 15:12

“Mouse support” of sorts exists as an accessibility feature.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-06-25, 11:01

How buggy is this build? I could get away with running a dev build on my iPad.
chucker

2019-06-25, 11:49

My iPad is too old to run this.

It's quite buggy on iPhone 8.
lukejamie07

2019-07-17, 17:20

ohh ,great news.Happy to hear.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-09, 19:05

So how solid is the beta now? For both iOS and iPadOS?

I'm tempted to upgrade but not sure I'm ready to upgrade my MBP just to do it.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2019-08-09, 20:17

I've been using iPadOS 13 Beta 3 for my iPad Air 2 and honestly I haven't had many issues. I've had a few hiccups with Mail but other then that no real issues. Haven't tried on my iPhone. Waiting for that one.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-06, 21:23

How close are we to gold masters yet? I haven't been following but I would love to get a jump on the new OS (for iOS and iPadOS). I logged in to the dev account but it wasn't very clear and I didn't spend much time looking. The fact that 13.1 beta 2 is already out has me wondering if I should wait until it is live.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2019-09-06, 22:27

There are still some major Mail hiccups on both iOS 13.1 and iPadOS.

Doesn't seem ready for prime time, but I guess they still have a couple of weeks before it's actually out in the wild.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-06, 22:28

Mail wouldn't bother me if that were the only issue. I use Spark for my mail. However, if one of the major staple apps is having issues I'll stay clear. I use my phone in production. I could get away with my iPad, but I'll wait until everything is released I guess.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-01, 13:35

What gives with this idea that widgets on the iPad home screen is a good idea. After updating my iPad it dawned on me how crappy that really is. Didn't we lear from Tiger and Windows Vista how much that sucks in reality? It seems like a good idea at first but then we see how cluttered everything is and how bad it sucks. Maybe I'm the only one who limits what's on my home screen.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-10-01, 13:59

Maybe you are. Which is why it can be turned on/off.

Just.

For.

YOU!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-01, 14:18

I mean, I know I'm one of the few. Helping people with computers I see how cluttered their desktops are. Still, all the OSs moved away from the idea of putting all the widgets and such into the background or even making it an app all its own that can be called up with a pinch on a trackpad.

I know it makes iPad OS stand out from iOS, but I would rather be able to swipe over and see more than a single column. Why not make it two columns to actually use the space for the widgets better rather than cluttering up my home screen?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-04, 11:55

Anyone mess with Sidecar yet? I'm really trying to find out if the iPad works as a touchscreen while displaying the "second screen" for macOS. I want to assume it does, but wouldn't be shocked if the screen is actually just a dumb screen.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-04, 13:47

After spending some time searching I found an article the talks about it. Touchscreen does work but differently than normal iPadOS only. This article seems to really go into good detail about it.

constharper

2019-10-30, 13:45

Great news! Now iPad will have more fans, I think.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-02, 11:51

Yeah, that's great news!
addabox
Veteran Member

2019-11-04, 11:22

I though fanless operation was a selling point?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-11-04, 13:23