User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 79 of 103 First Previous 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83  Next Last Thread Tools
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-09-10, 17:13

GotG2 is one of my favorite MCU films. Great character interactions. Loved the emphasis on family and father/son relationships.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-09-10, 19:57

@Pscates

Dude, if you still exist, check out What Happened To Monday.

Netflix original.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-09-10, 20:32

I actually went to a theater today (!) and saw Logan Lucky.

This film is *hysterical*. Dry humor all around, one of the funniest films I've seen in a while. The prison hostage scene where they're debating the state of Game of Thrones is a genius bit of writing.

It's way, way more than just "redneck Ocean's 11". I was afraid it might be, given that it's the same director, but this is a whole different game.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2017-09-11, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 last night. Possibly *the* most boring movie of the entire MCU.
Wow, that's saying something.

(I am not a fan of Marvel movies.)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-09-12, 11:26

You know it's a boring movie when Mrs T sits through it with me and never gets up. She doesn't do suspense or tense scenes, she gets up and leaves. She watched the whole thing as best as I can recall.

That being said, I still enjoyed the movie.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-12-10, 23:54

Just got home from Thor: Ragnarok. Without spoiling anything, it leans much closer to the original Guardians of the Galaxy than it does the previous Thor films—this is a good thing. They brought in a lot of the humor that made the first GotG so great, right down to a classic rock fight montage.

"I request safe passage through the anus" is an actual line from this movie.

Also, Jeff Goldblum.
Dr. Bobsky

2017-12-16, 19:28

Spoiler (click to toggle):
The Last Jedi is a joke filled with misdirected humor and holes a reanimated Leia would easily fly through.

Movie for what: if you can turn your light speed moving ship into a weapon, why not do it sooner than later, like let's say at the beginning of a 2.5 hour movie rather than 3/4ths the way through. This would allow more exposition and ruminating conversations on plots that are interesting rather than constant and boring.

If you ask if it is entertaining -- sure, for about the thirty seconds I can suspend disbelief and believe me the movie begs suspension so frequently that by the end, you will just give up and accept stupid plot twists as if they were the most obvious thing in the world. Cheap laughs outweigh any sort of character development. The most we learn is that Rae is strong and capable of balancing all of the force, she has (at this point) no psychological wounds that naw at her (she evidently accepted her parents failures and their deaths a long time ago -- the scene where she asks the dark side who her parents were she is shown herself). This was the *only* part of the movie that was interesting or useful. The skywalkers remain a brooding useless bunch. Hell, the jedis/siths are all assholes even yoda and his bullshit ghostly return.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2017-12-16, 19:48

Much anger in this one I sense!

I love you Bruce - but I got the memo forty years ago about suspending disbelief. The franchise is a space fantasy!

It was better than I expected although I found some of the humour too base for my liking. Obnoxious cuteness or silliness was thankfully dialled back too.
Dr. Bobsky

2017-12-16, 19:59

It feels like two movies -- there are scenes of semi-coherence and then the rest. Remove the silliness (which is most of the film to be clear) and let Luke slip into the darkside as he clearly is implied to have done so a bit, and the movie would have been awesome. But it wasn't; it was bad.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2017-12-17, 00:20

Saw it. My feelings are coalescing into one of "meh".

Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-12-18, 00:28

A big wet farty "meh" indeed.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-12-18, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Spoiler (click to toggle):
The Last Jedi is a joke filled with misdirected humor and holes a reanimated Leia would easily fly through.

Movie for what: if you can turn your light speed moving ship into a weapon, why not do it sooner than later, like let's say at the beginning of a 2.5 hour movie rather than 3/4ths the way through. This would allow more exposition and ruminating conversations on plots that are interesting rather than constant and boring.

If you ask if it is entertaining -- sure, for about the thirty seconds I can suspend disbelief and believe me the movie begs suspension so frequently that by the end, you will just give up and accept stupid plot twists as if they were the most obvious thing in the world. Cheap laughs outweigh any sort of character development. The most we learn is that Rae is strong and capable of balancing all of the force, she has (at this point) no psychological wounds that naw at her (she evidently accepted her parents failures and their deaths a long time ago -- the scene where she asks the dark side who her parents were she is shown herself). This was the *only* part of the movie that was interesting or useful. The skywalkers remain a brooding useless bunch. Hell, the jedis/siths are all assholes even yoda and his bullshit ghostly return.
Agreed 100%!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-12-18, 15:17

I have a friend who is a huge SW fan and he said it was terrible.

So far, I have to take all your words for it. My kid and I are going the first week of January.

I was excited, but now much less so. I have not heard a good report from any SW fans.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-05-01, 22:32

Just saw Infinity War last night.

Will have notions of a review once the other half drops.

In a year or so.

SmartLJ

2019-01-29, 11:51

Are there any Vikings fans here? I just love that TV show! Katheryn Winnick's character (Lagertha for those who don't remember) is my favorite. She is an example of a real woman and has just an awesome hairstyle I even tried to make such a hairstyle as she has in Vikings but I was too afraid to dye my hair blonde (I never dyed it before). However, I even found some tips on how to dye it without chemicals:
https://mystraightener.com/question/...my-taint-tuft/
Maybe I'll do it once. Can't wait till the final of the last season...
Dr. Bobsky

2019-02-01, 03:15

wow... the long con...
murbot
Hoonigan

2019-02-25, 23:22

Wow, no doubt. This lady is an absolute unit.

Wait, did I do that right? Or is that just for guys? Maybe she chonk? or is it thicc

anyway, that was pretty majestic, ya spammin' taint smear. Good on ya.
1claire

2019-02-27, 00:04

I can still see her post, I think she has been banned but her post still exists.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-02-27, 11:49

I can still see her post, too. Oh, no!

Will February be Spammer Banner® month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
… ya spammin' taint smear …

Murbot, I think you're gonna have a few of those to deal with. There's one over in this thread, and I can just smell another one brewing here.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
murbot
Hoonigan

2019-02-27, 17:23

I think you're right, Claire.

Damn, these fools are more refined than spammers of old.
¡Damned!

2019-02-27, 17:37

tfw murbot changes a spam link to something that you've been looking for but were too afraid to put in your Google history.

murbot
Hoonigan

2019-02-27, 18:01

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-02-27, 18:03

Murbot should change his tag line from "Bush Pilot" to "The Cleaner".
1claire

2019-02-28, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Murbot should change his tag line from "Bush Pilot" to "The Cleaner".
Do you like the tagline suggestion @Murbot?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-01, 12:02

The words of Randy Travis keep ringing in my ears.

"It's just a matter-er-er o-of tiiiiiiiiime."
Dr. Bobsky

2019-03-02, 02:40

I kinda don't want these things to be machine learning language processors/advertisers, but I kinda suspect they are, and I fear our future where forums like applenova are filled with bland AIs talking to each other about subjects we started decades ago...

Maybe murbot's pizza dough will become embedded for all time as a machine meme...
murbot
Hoonigan

2019-03-03, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1claire View Post
Do you like the tagline suggestion @Murbot?
You are making me quite uncomfortable, @1claire.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-03-04, 13:41

I watch the membership increase daily, and yet there isn't anything useful added by any of our new "members". Just these single-line posts that make little sense.

No "here's what I think of the new MacBooks" followed by two or three paragraphs of somewhat meaningful thought. Just "I seen movie on Netflix like very much what you guys think?"

Then, a month later, a quick post and a link to some site selling knob polish.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-03-05, 14:56

It’s because I don’t have Netflix.
Dr. Bobsky

2019-03-05, 17:38

the bots are tracking you here, chucker?