Color Photography Sharing Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Color Photography Sharing Thread
Page 92 of 94 First Previous 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-30, 20:40

I did a set photo shoot a little while ago and thought this was a cool shot.

I managed to catch the ball and jugs in flight. The guy you see there is the director of photography for the shot. It was loads of fun. Not sure when the video is going to be released. It stars this guy though:

Ok, this guy really:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-10-30, 20:50

Uh-oh. Scary clown. Beware.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-10-30, 20:56

Yeah, I'll see about sharing a link to the video once it's posted for those who might be interested n watching it. It's not a very happy ending I can tell you that.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-30, 11:15

I can't come up with a better place for this question:

I've been using Tinypic for years to host images to post to Applenova. I have no use for online photo hosting otherwise. However, Tinypic is shutting down. Anyone know of a reasonable place to host photos that is still free?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-30, 12:45

I host my own but Imgur seems pretty popular.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-10-24, 12:22

This was for a different thread but I happen to really like how this one turned out.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-06-18, 22:17

Eldorado Canyon, Colorado.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-18, 23:01

That's a really nice photo. Good job!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-19, 09:55

That is nice! Thank you for sharing. The dynamic range in that is really good. Was it an iPhone shot? Just curious.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-06-19, 14:52

Looks like a long exposure, with way too much dynamic range for an iPhone. Could be wrong, but it seems unlikely.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-06-20, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
That is nice! Thank you for sharing. The dynamic range in that is really good. Was it an iPhone shot? Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Looks like a long exposure, with way too much dynamic range for an iPhone. Could be wrong, but it seems unlikely.
Canon T6s dSLR with a 10-18mm lens, shot at 18mm, 1/8th second exposure at f/14 and ISO 100. Handheld, no tripod.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-06-20, 18:28

Those are some steady hands you have there. If I took a shot like that at 1/8s, I think it would have been burly, even with stabilization.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-06-20, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Those are some steady hands you have there. If I took a shot like that at 1/8s, I think it would have been burly, even with stabilization.
This lens has four stops of image stabilization, so 1/8s was well within this lens' capability for shooting handheld. I've gotten sharp results up to a half-second at super-wide angles.

Canon is advertising *seven* stops of IS on the latest RF bodies when combining their new in-body stabilization with in-lens stabilization. Might have to make to plunge and upgrade to RF later this year.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-06-20, 22:22

Been using high end DSLR's (FF) and lenses for years now, but I do have to say that it is easier with wide angel lenses like the 16-35mm F4 VR (I'm a Nikon shooter), but I'm not that good, at least I don't think so.

[edited] Just put the 16-35mm F4 on my D750 for giggles, 1/8s wasn't that hard at all at 16mm. Been so long since I've tried that I forgot. I personally like the effect of shutter speeds slower than 1s for this type of shot, but 1/8th works well enough.

This one, post here years ago, is how I do it, at around 30 seconds.

Last edited by PB PM : 2020-06-20 at 22:35.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-21, 09:45

I need to get out and try some of those. Sadly I've never upgraded my Canon Rebel XT. I keep going back and forth on going mirrorless or another full frame DSLR. I'm fairly certain I'll stick with Canon, but not even requiring that now. At this very moment, my iPhone 11 Pro gets more camera time from me than anything. It feels so dirty to be talking photos like that.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-06-21, 10:48

Quote:
I need to get out and try some of those. Sadly I've never upgraded my Canon Rebel XT. I keep going back and forth on going mirrorless or another full frame DSLR. I'm fairly certain I'll stick with Canon, but not even requiring that now. At this very moment, my iPhone 11 Pro gets more camera time from me than anything. It feels so dirty to be talking photos like that.
I used a Rebel XT for years. I'm not sure the upgrade is worth it for landscape, but I love the high ISO performance for urban shooting. The tilt/swivel screen with live view is more useful than I expected though.

I'm tentatively thinking about making the jump to full-frame RF this year. My problem is 3 of my 5 lenses are EF-S and replacing them all at once would cost thousands. Until Canon starts releasing lower-end RF lenses I'll probably wait. I need a f/4 wide zoom and ideally an RF replacement for the 24mm pancake.

The 15-35/2.8L looks amazing, but it's $2300 and weighs almost 4x as much as my current 10-18mm. f/2.8 is wasted on me at this focal length—I'd rather not carry around that much extra weight on long hikes.

I don't really want to buy any more EF lenses right now, otherwise I'd just get the 16-40/4L and 70-200/4L and mount them with adapters.

I think my decision will be forced somewhat by how the pandemic plays out over the rest of the year. I'm supposed to fly to Japan for a two-week photography workshop in November. If that happens, I'll probably buy the Canon RP with 24-105/4L kit to dip my toe into full-frame mirrorless, but keep my Rebel for landscape photography until Canon's RF lens lineup catches up. If not, I'll wait till 2021.

For that Japan workshop, the 24-105/4L should make a great walkaround lens, plus I can put my 50/1.8 on with an adapter for low-light shooting. It's all urban and portrait shooting.

Here's another water shot, this time in Fiordland on the south island of New Zealand, also shot handheld:

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-06-21, 12:56

Quote:
The only big changes from the XT to modern cameras are dynamic range and high ISO performance, both have leaped a lot since mid 2000s when that camera came out. They've added video and better live view too, but from the point of it being photographic tool not much has changed. The newer Rebels also have better viewfinders, auto focus and stuff as well.

Full frame really isn't that big of a deal, but the marketing departments are working overtime to make you think they are. When I moved to full frame in 2011 it made a big difference, the same cannot be said now. My Father has a modern DX (crop) Nikon camera and it's very good, so close to my full frame cameras (D750/D810) that if I was in your place, I wouldn't bother going full frame. Mirrorless is the way to go if you are upgrading in the next few years, unless you already have a good collection of DSLR lenses. The DSLR lines will slowly be killed off over the next 4-5 years I suspect. That said if you want to have the option to get less expensive high end lenses in the future, as people make the switch, a DSLR isn't a bad choice. I've take advantage of people switching to get some great lenses for half of retail price, and it is in mint condition. Haven't bought a "new" lens or camera in 5 years, no need, because there is so much high quality used stuff out there that people have hardly even used. You just have to be careful who you buy from. I've got most of my stuff used from local camera stores, which is great because it helps local business rather than big online retailers.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-06-21, 18:52

Spent some time this afternoon in the garden, lots of action happening now that summer has come. Nikon D810+105mm F2.8G VR
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-08-14, 00:07

Colors courtesy of the wildfires over on the western slope.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-14, 11:09

Hey, get off my lawn!

Seriously, in my dreams I have a cabin right over there on the right. So, technically, you're on my lawn!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-08-14, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Hey, get off my lawn!

Seriously, in my dreams I have a cabin right over there on the right. So, technically, you're on my lawn!
There is a campground just to the right. Or you could get a job at the horse stables right over there.

This was up in Rocky Mountain NP. Moraine Park meadows.

Another shot a little later when the colors got a bit stronger:

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-14, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Or you could get a job at the horse stables right over there.
Hmmm …
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-08-17, 00:39

Shot this just outside town this evening a little ways up the canyon. All the wildfires in the state have left a huge amount of smoke settled over the Front Range. Tragic but does open some interesting possibilities for photography. That's a consolation prize I guess?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-17, 14:10

I really like the look of those shots with the motion in the water. I need to figure out how to shot those and do a good job of it. I know I can with my DSLR, but wondering if I can with an iPhone. It doesn't seem like you get enough exposure control.

I like how the second one up you can see the bottom of the water on the left and it is pretty clear where there is little motion.

I think I want to practice this at the creek near my house. This should be fun.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-08-17, 19:31

You’d need an iPhone tripod, or something to lean it on, and a third party camera app that allows for manual control of the settings. I think there is a free app from Adobe that does that, but don’t recall.

Set the lowest ISO, choose a shutter speed of 1/8 or better yet 1s+. It’s kind of easier on a modern DSLR with a histogram in live view so you can see if you are going to overexpose everything or not. And your best bet is before sunrise and after sunset, without using ND filters that is.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-08-17, 19:33

Quote:
I really like the look of those shots with the motion in the water. I need to figure out how to shot those and do a good job of it. I know I can with my DSLR, but wondering if I can with an iPhone. It doesn't seem like you get enough exposure control.

I like how the second one up you can see the bottom of the water on the left and it is pretty clear where there is little motion.

I think I want to practice this at the creek near my house. This should be fun.
When I was on sabbatical in New Zealand last year I joined a three-day workshop on long exposure water shots. Came back with shots like this from Tongariro National Park.

There are some apps for iPhone that let you control exposure, but you'd also need a tripod and ND filter. The shot I posted last night used an 8 second exposure.

Right now I have 3 circular ND filters that fit on my super-wide lens but I'm considering investing in a Benro drop-in set.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-08-17, 20:09

And it's a useful technique for getting all kind of cool shots. Posted this one years ago too, but same principal applies.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-18, 08:54

Canon! Nice shot!

I have a GorillaPod that works well with my second gen Glif to keep my phone stable. I'm going to have to find my Glif though, I am still missing a bunch of things from me move.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-09-14, 10:37

I just got back from a three-day offroad photography workshop in the San Juan mountains of southwest Colorado, based out of Silverton. The guide is both a great photography *and* offroad Jeep enthusiast. He took us up lots of old mining roads to some awesome locations.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-09-14, 14:12

Beautiful shot. Been sticking close to home, and too busy to travel, so I’ve mostly been taking macro shots as of late.

Last edited by PB PM : 2020-09-14 at 19:06.