User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad 3
Page 1 of 13 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-03-20, 18:41

Now that the iPad 2 is in the hands of the people (sort of), and reviews from both amateurs and the major sources have trickled in, I think we can begin to nitpick the shortcomings or little inadequacies that we perceive to be limiting the iPad from being "perfect." To some people, the iPad IS perfect. To me, it is still far from perfect for the following reasons (that may not bother other people at all):

1. I still need to plug this into a PC? What's post-PC about that? iPad needs "cloud stuff" added.

2. I should be able to take phone calls from it if I have Verizon or AT&T and a 3G iPad.

3. It'd be nice if Apple had a iPhoto app with editing and book making tools.

4. iWeb on the iPad might be nice.

How about y'all?

Do you think the retina display is coming? What about hardware is lacking?

There is an interesting article from a source that I forget, which talks about Apple leaving specific features as add-ons through external connectors etc, so as to cut cost and keep size/weight down (further reinforcing the idea of iPad as post-PC).

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-20, 19:00

#2 and #4 don't matter to me at all, but I think #1 and #3 would be very nice.

At some point, if Apple would like to see this thing in the hands of more and more people, they're going to have to make it a bit more self-contained.

It should be able to do both, ideally...if you want to use it as a satellite device and sync to your main computer, as is currently the method, fine. But there should be a way that lets you buy an iPad and do all the set-up, registering (and configure an AirPort Express base station) from the iPad itself if you don't already own a computer. I don't know if that would be a preference setting, or something you'd choose the very first time you turned the thing on (probably the latter).

So many people could "join the world" and connect to it (I'm thinking of the elderly or those confined to their homes because of illness or disabilities) if this would happen. Bring someone an iPad and an AirPort Express, spend 30-45 minutes setting it up and showing them a few things...and you've changed someone's life.

As for the other, if Apple can put all that graphics and processing muscle behind video editing and music creation, there's no reason they can't roll out an iPhoto app for the iPad for basic cropping, one-click enhancing and red-eye removal. There's no way those tasks could be any more demanding or complex than iMovie and GarageBand.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-03-20 at 19:12.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-03-20, 19:39

There's a rumor I saw somewhere that iOS 5 will include something like an "Air Finder", which will include an exposed directory structure and file system. If I'm recalling correctly, it sounded a little like DropBox on steroids, hooked into Apple's servers.

Probably nonsense, of course.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-03-20, 20:35

I've already mentioned this a few times but Retina Display. I expect it sometime in the next 12 months.

That's the only thing missing for me
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-03-20, 20:41

Retina Display
Thinner/Lighter (thanks to a carbon fiber enclosure?)
Faster (A6 Chip)
Greater storage capacity
LTE

Honestly, those are the only hardware changes I can see happening. What else does iPad need? Most of the gripes are software limitations that can be resolved by iOS 5 or 6.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-03-20, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
Retina Display
Faster (A6 Chip)
Greater storage capacity
LTE

Honestly, those are the only hardware changes I can see happening. What else does iPad need? Most of the gripes are software limitations that can be resolved by iOS 5 or 6.
This, but I'd also say more RAM and more storage; ie: moving to a 32gb, 64gb, and 128gb.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-20, 20:55

At some point that base model will be 32GB (well, it is Apple...they might keep it around forever and offer 16, 64 and 128GB).

But, as someone said above, most of my (mild) complaints are addressed via software (an iOS update or new app). Hardware-wise, I really have no gripes. I imagine if it had 1GB RAM it would feel more peppy for certain tasks. I'm sure that'll come on the third or fourth model. But they really did a nice job on this second model. It actually manages to make the first one look a little clunky. Which would've been impossible to imagine, prior to March 2.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2011-03-20, 22:02

Quote:
Retina Display
Faster (A6 Chip)
Greater storage capacity
LTE

+1 My wish list and the reason I did not upgrade to the iPad 2.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-03-20, 22:19

Scates, there are apps out there that do a good job of photo editing, like PS Express, but of course I think you and I are referring to an Apple iPhoto solution with the same-as-Mac features we enjoy.

As for the comment about how a disabled or elderly person's life could be changed, you are spot on. The current way to get he iPad on and going is not right. I had to sync my father-in-law's iPad with my Mac and then show him the ropes. He's never synced it since day 1 and will probably never need to. However, if he needed an update, etc, he'd have to connect it to a Mac and that's just ridiculous. And yes, it did change his life in such a positive and powerful way.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-20, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
3. It'd be nice if Apple had a iPhoto app with editing and book making tools.
You know what I'd really love? If Apple not only put their iPhoto prints service on the iPad, but if they made it accessible to developers, with some sort of revenue-sharing model.

There's other print services that developers can use, but they're harder to use — you'd have to input billing information and go through this whole checkout process, and developers wouldn't see as many takers. But Apple already has all that information. They could make ordering a print just this one-click in-app purchase. Developers would be able to see way more impulse print purchases, and Apple would get a new revenue stream.

That's more of a software thing, though.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-03-20, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
You know what I'd really love? If Apple not only put their iPhoto prints service on the iPad, but if they made it accessible to developers, with some sort of revenue-sharing model.

There's other print services that developers can use, but they're harder to use — you'd have to input billing information and go through this whole checkout process, and developers wouldn't see as many takers. But Apple already has all that information. They could make ordering a print just this one-click in-app purchase. Developers would be able to see way more impulse print purchases, and Apple would get a new revenue stream.

Still, I love the idea!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-20, 23:30

See, I can have good ideas.

If my "fun with photos" app idea was an actual thing, instead of an idea of a thing, I would be begging Apple to open up their iPhoto print service. I'd give away the app and make money by selling prints and extra "sticker packs." Because everybody loves stickers!

Yeah, that's pretty much the whole of that business plan. Don't steal it, now.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
JohnnyTheA

2011-03-20, 23:35

I agree, that I cannot see any major h/w improvements for the 3rd rev other RAM and speed. The Apps side of the house and the server side of the house is another matter. I mean even the e-book concept has yet to really mature beyond digi-versions of the paper ones. When you add in what is going on with newspapers, magazines, streaming video, there is so much that is on the s/w side that is coming fast. Its a exciting thing. The only thing I don't like is that it is such a controlled business model. So unlike the 80s computer revolution when there was so much more openness. But there is good and bad for both open development (old PCs) and the iPad.
Wrao
Yarp

2011-03-20, 23:38

Quote:
Retina Display
Faster (A6 Chip)
Greater storage capacity
LTE

Yup, the most drastic change I could see occurring would be if they changed the screen size slightly. 9.7" is pretty much perfect, but who knows, maybe if/when they put a retina display in there it will make sense to make it a little bigger(or smaller?). Other than the above, I mostly expect future iPad revisions to improve the product's overall value and price/performance-features ratio. They're already pretty much leading the way after the Xoom snafu(generally more expensive and not as powerful as advertised), and I doubt Apple will let off on that front. 32/64/128gb storage seems like a given, but I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if they always keep a 16gb wifi model around to keep the introduction price as low as possible. Doubt we will ever see an SD card slot, and higher quality cameras seem iffy as well. The cameras will probably improve, but not be cutting edge.

The only other major change/improvement that I'd like to see would be a consolidation of models. If possible, make a single model that supports GSM and CDMA, beyond that, if possible, eliminate the $130 extra charge for 3g(or 4g by then). It may not be feasible to do so, but I really think Apple is going to try and keep the iPad value assessment as favorable as they can.
Wrao
Yarp

2011-03-20, 23:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

I think this is a good idea, but given how good the iPad is as a digital picture frame/sharing device, I wouldn't expect Apple to be in a rush to implement something like this. I know they made a bit of a deal about the photo printing services in the Lion preview, and it has been a quiet, but interesting service for some time now. But, I just think so much of the iPad's strength is directly tied into that "here, look at this" moment when you hand it to someone to see a: chart, email, video, website, picture...etc. That creating a service that sort of pulls that out of the device seems sort of obsolete?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-20, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I think this is a good idea, but given how good the iPad is as a digital picture frame/sharing device, I wouldn't expect Apple to be in a rush to implement something like this. I know they made a bit of a deal about the photo printing services in the Lion preview, and it has been a quiet, but interesting service for some time now. But, I just think so much of the iPad's strength is directly tied into that "here, look at this" moment when you hand it to someone to see a: chart, email, video, website, picture...etc. That creating a service that sort of pulls that out of the device seems sort of obsolete?
Maybe, but we're still a few years away from kids being able to tape up iPads inside their lockers.

Apple made a pretty big deal out of their new letterpress cards. I think they realize that there's still times when you wouldn't want to just e-mail someone a jpeg. We may be in Apple's brave new post-PC world, but the post-paper era is a ways off yet.

Wrao
Yarp

2011-03-20, 23:54

Man, all those kids have Androids and iPhones anyway, probably don't even know what tape is.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-20, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh View Post
Scates, there are apps out there that do a good job of photo editing, like PS Express, but of course I think you and I are referring to an Apple iPhoto solution with the same-as-Mac features we enjoy.
Exactly. I have PS Express on my iPhone, but on an iPad, with the bigger screen and all (and knowing the other two key iLife apps have made it over to iOS) I'd prefer a nice homegrown solution from Apple - either pre-installed or another $4.99 optional purchase - that mirrored the basic iPhoto tools.

I wonder if that's something that could possibly be a part of iOS 5? I hope so...
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2011-03-21, 07:09

I'm not sure I see the iPad ever dropping below $499. I suspect the margin on the $499 model is very low, which is made up by the higher capacity versions. It doesn't cost anywhere near $100 to increase to 32GB from 16GB.

We're so used to technology prices dropping, but it can't continue forever. At some point inflation will catch up, and the price will slowly creep up. We've seen that with the Mac mini and iMac, and I think we're at about the lowest point we'll see for the iPad. Tech prices are almost like a reverse bubble--people expect them to drop forever, but that just can't.

As memory prices drop, it would make sense to keep the 16GB model at $499, but made it 64GB at $599. Everybody wins--Higher capacities at lower prices for consumers, and a bigger difference between the two models provides an extra incentive to spend the extra $100.

Last edited by screensaver400 : 2011-03-21 at 10:44.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-21, 10:09

If iPad 2 is any indicator, then iPad 3 will be available in 3 storage sizes, 3 carrier options, and eleventysix color choices. It will be the inventory nightmare from hell!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
wtd

2011-03-21, 11:41

No no. Apple likes being mercurial. The iPad 3 will only be available with 8GB of storage, the casing will be anodized bright green, and 3G service will be solely available through Sprint.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-21, 12:37

Seriously, it would be neat if there was some sort of hybrid 3G thingie that would do both AT&T and Verizon. That would immediately cut the offerings in half, right? And, not only that, couldn't the customer, based on where he/she was traveling and who was offering the better rates, sign up for either company's 3G service as needed? Since no contracts are required, and people can add/stop the service as needed, that would make for a really handy device.

At that point, all you'd have to decide is capacity and color (and you'd have some options and flexibility on the 3G front).

I'm sure this will happen at some point. It's technically possible, right? This type of thing is (or will be) available, won't it? It would certainly simplify manufacturing and streamline inventory/shipping.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-03-21, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Seriously, it would be neat if there was some sort of hybrid 3G thingie that would do both AT&T and Verizon.
Qualcomm has had a hybrid chip ready to go for some time now. I was expecting it to make it into the iPad 2. There must be some implementation issues that we are not aware of.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-21, 13:22

Maybe next time around?

16, 32 or 64
white or black
WiFi or WiFi + 3G (no "AT&T or Verizon" choice)

I guess the ultimate goal, someday, would be the hybrid thing included in every iPad.

My fantasy iPad lineup, since this seems to be the thread for it (Apple and stores would love me for it):

Black only, 16 or 64GB (or, down the road, maybe 32 and 128GB?), hybrid 3G chip in every model (whether you use/need it or not is up to you).

Your only choice? Capacity.

Stores just have to stock a sensible number of each size...a bunch of the 16GB, a bunch of the 64GB. Everything else is no longer an issue. Only one color available, and every model does WiFi and 3G, out of the box.

Choice/options are overrated.

That would be my ideal iPad 3 (or 4) lineup. Talk about everyone's lives getting simple...manufacturing, shipping, stocking/inventory, stores, Apple, online ordering, gift-giving, etc.

"What size would you like?". Boom. "Happy birthday...enjoy!"

Short and sweet. Right now, it's a little ridiculous...color, capacity, 3G and carrier. Seriously?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-03-21, 13:53

I'd like the Photos app to allow editing of albums which could then get synced back to iPhoto on my MBP.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-21, 13:55

In all seriousness, how do you make these things better? I'll look at a few things and see if I can decipher why they might make the iPad a better product for the intended audience, and why they might make the thing a kludge. Here I go. My opinions, only, so try not to read too much into it.

Retina Display: If there is one aspect of the iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4 that people seem to be really pleased with, it is the screen sharpness. A retina display on the iPad would be an incredible advancement that competitors will struggle to match, and that will give the iPad the sharpest, most advanced screen available. However, the power draw and video processing for such a screen may have a negative affect on performance as well as battery life, and possibly cost. But the offset in terms of super-rich media content and resolution independence make the retina display a game changer, no matter what product it lands in.

Storage Capacity: The iPad 3 will likely need to double available storage capacities for three reasons: 1) To maintain pace with spec-whoring competitors who think they have a more useable product simply because it can store more crap; 2) people are buying apps/movies/music in droves, and they Just Need™ the space to carry all that junk around; and 3) some developers want to shoehorn gigantic pieces of bloated software into the iPad. Of all the things the iPad 3 needs, this is the second to least important, IMO.

File System: I cannot get on board with this one. Sorry. One of the reasons that the iPad is such a hot seller is the lack of a file system. They are just flat simple to use. One of the great troubles I see with people who struggle on the average desktop computer (including the Mac) is that they get lost in the file system. Adding this level of complexity to the iPad will only serve to make it more difficult for the target audience to use. Control-types can download file-system apps, or they can hack away, but I cannot see the need for the average user. And I don't think Apple sees the need, either. IMO, this is the absolute, least necessary concept for the iPad/iOS devices.

A6 Processor: Yep. Quad-core is coming to the iPad. Why? Who the hell knows!

RAM: Going to double, again, if only to keep up with the insatiable needs of developers who want to squeeze Photoshop onto the thing. This will be good for developers, but bad for consumers. Excessive RAM leads to sloppy coding and software bloat. Soon enough the iPad will be driving apps as bloated as MS Office and consumers will wonder why their iPad is running so slowly. I think that tempering the RAM will maintain good quality apps that are actually useful. This type of device just doesn't lend itself to the massive apps that have plagued the desktop for years. The focus on the iPad was minimalist. Changing the iPad into a Mac Pro replacement is bad news for the product. And, honestly, do we really need to run Call of Duty 4 on these things? In retrospect, I suppose that the gaming market—all by itself—will drive this "need".

USB Ports: Ain't gonna happen. If Apple wants to support USB devices, they can do it through the dock connector. It is clear that Apple is working on a driverless-printer model of sorts, and they are clearly focused on document syncing rather than document storage, thus negating the need to cart around an external hard drive or USB flash drive. The folks who seem to need these things are those who are still stuck in the PC-era file-system days. The iPad is a post-PC device and it has a new interface without file-systems and no genuine need for flash drives. It is a flash drive. Also, Apple's focus on the iOS devices is that of a wireless world, which leads to the Next Big Thing™.

Wireless Syncing: Yes, this will finally show up, but it will not debut on the iPad 3. It will debut with the iPhone 5 this summer. The iPhone 5/iPod Touch 5/iPad 3 will all retain their dock connectors, but all three will gain the ability to wirelessly sync through local Wifi. I don't buy into this "syncing over the interwebs" thing and think it is a bad idea. We have enough trouble with identity theft and such, and all those songs/videos/photos/apps streaming around on the web are going to open up some serious piracy issues as well as knock available bandwidth into the toilet. This is why I think that wireless syncing will only be available on your local (home) wifi. As a side note, I could see Apple providing a "push to push" button that would send a file from the iPad to a copy of iTunes residing on any wireless network. That would be cool.

Cameras: iPad 3 will gain minor, generational upgrades to its cameras, but Apple will continue to focus these cameras on FaceTime video rather than trying to squeeze a Nikon D model in there. This will be both good and bad for consumers. It will be good for 95% of all iPad users who feel the thing makes a damned foolish camera, and it will be bad for the other 5% of spec-whoring consumers who feel an 8 mega-pixel camera is a must for their tablet, not because it is useful in any way, but because it would be there so they can brag about it.

Adobe Flash: and

iPhoto: Apple will introduce iPhoto for the iPad. It will not be very powerful, but will allow you to organize your photos directly on the iPad and will allow for some minor color correction and edits. It's biggest features will involve organizational tools and the ability to build custom slideshows that you can then show on your TV. It will cost $4.99.

MobileMe: By the time the iPad 3 is released, MobileMe will have been a free product for nearly a year. MobileMe on the iPad will be an app that allows for video/photo/file sharing and data syncing that will add a lot of value to the device. That is the extent of my imagination on MobileMe. It will be cool, but I cannot wrap my brain around why.

That's it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-21, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I'd like the Photos app to allow editing of albums which could then get synced back to iPhoto on my MBP.
Exactly. There should be some really nice back-and-forth between Mac iPhoto and a (mythical) iPad iPhoto. Syncing/mirroring (time saving), but also a way to cut out extra work or unnecessary round-tripping.

1. You're on vacation for the next six days, away from your Mac, with just your iPad, digital camera and camera connector cable

2. You take 45-50 photos throughout the day (beach that morning, miniature golf three hours later, dinner at sunset, etc.).

3. Load them into iPad that evening, where Events splits them out as expected.

4. Go into each, perform basic sweetening/enhancing/cropping as needed

5. E-mail, upload to Facebook, Flickr or MobileMe gallery from your Wi-Fi'd hotel room...red-eye gone, horizons straightened, colors popping, composition cropped for maximum impact/focus, etc. Everyone's happy (sender and recipients), pics look as good as they would had you done all this back home, a week later, in iPhoto).

6. When you arrive home a week later and dock iPad to your Mac, those edited events are synced back to your Mac, in the proper place (based on date/time) and you're given the option to keep or remove the photos/events on your iPad (just like on the iPhone).

7. Yay!

8. Repeat on next outing

Are you listening, Apple?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-21, 14:08

Quote:
Black only, 16 or 64GB (or, down the road, maybe 32 and 128GB?), hybrid 3G chip in every model (whether you use/need it or not is up to you).

Your only choice? Capacity.

Stores just have to stock a sensible number of each size...a bunch of the 16GB, a bunch of the 64GB. Everything else is no longer an issue. Only one color available, and every model does WiFi and 3G, out of the box.

Choice/options are overrated.
I could easily get on board with that idea. But Apple is getting a little too big to keep it that simple. They are starting to bump heads with the "choice" crowd.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-03-21, 14:21

Well, it's the snob in me that prefers to keep choice out of the hands of the disgusting rabble and riff-raff who don't own iPhones. I've been outed/figured out, so I have to start copping to this stuff.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-21, 14:40

Quote:
Well, it's the snob in me that prefers to keep choice out of the hands of the disgusting rabble and riff-raff who don't own iPhones. I've been outed/figured out, so I have to start copping to this stuff.

Too bad it's come to that, you frickin' snob!