Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple iOS/OS X in cars?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple iOS/OS X in cars?
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2011-04-09, 11:30

This recent story of MS teaming up with Toyota, and their association with Ford got me thinking whether or not Apple would ever go down this route with another car manufacturer. There were rumours that Apple and VW were in talks a while back although I'm not sure how real that was.

Although, Apple's not known for too many joint projects, I'd love to see them develop a similar system to that of Ford's SYNC and myFord touch with VW or Audi.

Microsoft Corp and Toyota Motor Corp unveiled a plan on Wednesday to work together on bringing Internet-connected services to Toyota's cars across the world.

The world's biggest software company and the biggest automaker said they were investing about $12 million (1 billion yen) in Toyota Media Service Co, a Toyota unit that handles its digital offerings for customers.

Toyota is planning to set up a network based on Microsoft's Azure "cloud computing" platform by 2015, which would allow customers across the world access to Toyota's digital services, such as GPS, multimedia, and managing power on electric and hybrid vehicles.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-09, 12:57

Microsoft Auto is pretty much the standard — it powers Kia's Uvo, Fiat Group's Blue&Me, Ford's Sync (and MyFord/MyLincoln Touch), and now whatever Toyota is doing (so, the next generation of Entune and Lexus Enform).

I can't really see Apple wanting to break into this market (and I'm sure car companies have tried to get them to). They wouldn't have complete control over the experience.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
noone
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2011-04-13, 14:31

Audi did a good job with its MMI - but I sometimes wish Apple had had a hand in it, it would have been even better ... (Apple, are you listening )