Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac 2021
Page 4 of 11 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-04-30, 08:08

Ordered the orange iMac this morning.

16 GB ram & 2TB SSD.

Basically the same computer as the 2 MPBs that we got for the business in the fall.

Should be here in about 3 weeks.

Honestly, sometimes I think I started my own company strictly so that I could buy myself new Apple products each year and expense them.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-30, 08:41

You wouldn't be the first/only, I'm sure.

Can't wait to see that big slab o' tangerine.

Lots of sexy pics, baby!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-02, 23:17

Another reason why at least one front/side USB port would be a good thing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-18, 05:34

…and here we go! Unboxing video of yellow 24” iMac.

Edit: Direct link, which may or may not work when you click…seems there’s been some back-and-forth from the unboxer making the video private, etc. As of 7am ET (5/18/2021) it’s up.

- Even the packaging (box handle, inside markings, etc.) are color-matched! What an enormous hassle/waste of effort. Apple’s primary goal with this model seems to be “how much of a logistical/manufacturing/packaging flaming pain-in-the-ass and extra, unasked-for effort can we make for ourselves?” I’m guessing they’re succeeding beyond their wildest expectations!

- I’d wondered, since day one, if that new magnetic power cord stays securely connected when tilting the iMac. He seems to show a bit of wobble/movement when doing so, but I don’t know what he’s saying about it (if it’s not enough to matter or if it’s a potential issue). Sure hope it isn’t the latter. I look forward to hearing more about this in other unboxing/review videos. I’d hate for there to be any sort of “disconnectgate” situation brewing. Unlike with a notebook or iPad, the power cord unexpectedly popping/falling out of your iMac, mid-usage, would not be fun. Surely that was tested/addressed early on, but it was interesting to see the slight movement in the video. Maybe it’s designed in such a way to allow for some slight flexing/movement?

- If I ever wound up with one of these, a) yellow is a color I’d never consider, and b) I believe I’d be very tempted to put one of the included(?) white Apple logo stickers dead-center on that chin, just to break up that large area of colored aluminum. I bet a lot of users wind up doing this very thing.

- It looks great (anodized piss yellow aside). So sleek, so thin, nice large display, etc. I wouldn’t mind one of these on my desk at all!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-18 at 06:18.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-18, 08:18

Looks like one of the Techcunch guys got a yellow one too.
¡Damned!

2021-05-18, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Can't wait to see that big slab o' tangerine.
Jason Snell over at six colors got an orange one. Looks really, really nice imo. They even come with matching white and [iMac color] stickers!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-18, 09:20

I like how Jason snuck "the Magic Mouse charging method is still silly" pictures in there.

The intense reflection at that angle is a bit worrying, though.

Other than that, it looks fun and classy!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-18, 09:38

I am going to require a line of coloured t-shirts that will allow me to virtue-signal my ownership of the M1 iMac to the outside world.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-18, 10:04

Okay, that orange is really nice.

Shocking, I know, for me to say that.

Still, I think I'd be happier with the silver, over the long run (and with me, owning computers is a long run...4-6 years, minimum). I think silver will age better, and I'd feel better about it all, 3-4 years down the road. The colors just looked better on that translucent, rounded plastic two decades ago than they do on aluminum, IMO. It's just not the same to me, in overall appeal. The jellybean shape probably had a lot to do with it, as well. With the G3 iMacs, you had the overall shape/roundness, translucency, glossiness, little accent areas (the foot, speaker covering, logo), etc. all working together so nicely. Just making something flat/straight and opaque a color seems a bit "less than", IMO. It's missing a lot of what made the jellybean iMacs so gorgeous.

I think all that is why I'm not totally sold on the 24" iMac coloring. They look nice, but they just don't grab me as those original iMacs did. It seems a bit lazier and less inspired (is that the right phrase?). I was also ~22 years younger too, so that factors in as well. At 52, I don't see anything the way I once did, at 30.

Believe 'dat shit.

But it's sure nice to look at, no doubt. I just don't think I'd want to own one in a color, that's all. But I like those Jason Snell pics. A nice shade of orange, but I bet it would dominate a room based on the placement and your other decor!

Nice to see these reviews popping up, and some real life pics/video. Been waiting for this for a few weeks.

PS - Yeah, Jason Snell snuck in a pic of that upside-down charging mouse every chance he got. That made me chuckle. It is weird that Apple couldn't put that Lightning charging port in the front, where a normal wired mouse cable would go, so once could actually still use the thing while charging. That's just going to be one of those things like the Apple logo being upside-down on those older G3(?) PowerBooks back in the day. Something goofy that should've been corrected immediately, but manages to hang around for years.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-18, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I am going to require a line of coloured t-shirts that will allow me to virtue-signal my ownership of the M1 iMac to the outside world.
Not gonna lie… if someone who ships to Germany (and I don't mean ships for $80) makes a series of t-shirts, I'm tempted to buy all of them.

Quote:
PS - Yeah, Jason Snell snuck in a pic of that upside-down charging mouse every chance he got. That made me chuckle. It is weird that Apple couldn't put that Lightning charging port in the front, where a normal wired mouse cable would go, so once could actually still use the thing while charging.
I imagine it's a function-follows-form thing. Someone wanted the mouse to be as thin as possible, and that meant thinner than a Lightning port + charging PCB. So, someone else had to work around that requirement by putting charging on the bottom.

Luckily, I don't really care since the Magic Trackpad is the superior input method anyway. (I'm bummed the Space Grey one is going away, but maybe it'll be replaced by whatever set of colors the higher-end Macs get?)

Quote:
That's just going to be one of those things like the Apple logo being upside-down on those older G3(?) PowerBooks back in the day. Something goofy that should've been corrected immediately, but manages to hang around for years.
Hey, don't remind us that the backlit logo is gone.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-18, 10:21

I do indeed miss that. I hope it makes a comeback with the alleged 14" and 16" redesigns that are slated to appear somewhere between WWDC and Thanksgiving of 2024.

Maybe that is also part of the redesign...they realized they acted as their own advertising much better when they glowed from across the room? Everyone immediately knew what they were looking at, and from what company. That had to make an impact. And then in a year or so, on an Air redesign, they'd appear as well.

Prediction (admittedly based on a lot of "ifs"): if a future MacBook Air gets colors like the new iMac, and if the glowing Apple logo is to make a return...the glow will be color-matched to that particular models via a thin colored veneer of plastic that makes the Apple logo glow in soft orange, pink, green, etc. The silver would maintain a white glow as before, but the colored Airs would have a colored glow.

And don't say they wouldn't go through the hassle of making six colored logo veneers...look what they just did with the iMac, color-wise (and all its accessories/packaging).

You heard it here first, remember that.
chucker

2021-05-18, 11:20

Quote:
I do indeed miss that. I hope it makes a comeback with the alleged 14" and 16" redesigns that are slated to appear somewhere between WWDC and Thanksgiving of 2024.

Maybe that is also part of the redesign...they realized they acted as their own advertising much better when they glowed from across the room? Everyone immediately knew what they were looking at, and from what company. That had to make an impact.
I mean… yeah.

But are they willing to sacrifice thinness to bring this back? Not sure.

(The iPhones and iPads never had the glowing Apple, but… an iPad is more rarely held upwards than a MacBook is.)

Quote:
Prediction (admittedly based on a lot of "ifs"): if a future MacBook Air gets colors like the new iMac, and if the glowing Apple logo is to make a return...the glow will be color-matched to that particular models via a thin colored veneer of plastic that makes the Apple logo glow in soft orange, pink, green, etc. The silver would maintain a white glow as before, but the colored Airs would have a colored glow.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-18, 11:28

You smile because you know I'm probably right. If those two things come to be (colored Airs and the return of the glowing logo).
chucker

2021-05-18, 11:38

Quote:
You smile because you know I'm probably right. If those two things come to be (colored Airs and the return of the glowing logo).
I smile because I love it!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-18, 11:48

Mine is still howling Friday Delivery from UPS, but Monday delivery on Apple's order status.

The pictures from Snell are exactly what I was hoping for with the color here. Definitely something that will stand out in a room, but not as bright as they could have gone.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-18, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Not gonna lie… if someone who ships to Germany (and I don't mean ships for $80) makes a series of t-shirts, I'm tempted to buy all of them.
I've always wanted t-shirts whose logo showcases older tech.

I'd love to walk around and explain to the younglings what troubleshooting a chain of SCSI devices was like.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-18, 15:44

Hell on earth was what it was like.

I remember sometimes losing 30 minutes a day on things like that or one app freezing up/wigging out and taking the whole machine with it. There were days were it just felt like I restarted, unplugged/replugged stuff and chased gremlins during my lunch break.

“This stuff all worked just fine this morning!”
chucker

2021-05-18, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I've always wanted t-shirts whose logo showcases older tech.

I'd love to walk around and explain to the younglings what troubleshooting a chain of SCSI devices was like.
I have a shirt with exploded iPhone 3G internals, which at this point is kinda retro. It's not really SCSI, but maybe this works: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/165085142560912017/

(There's probably someone who made a "SCSI terminators, but with Arnie's face on them" joke on a shirt?)
chucker

2021-05-18, 16:45

Quote:
“This stuff all worked just fine this morning!”
Programming is still like this
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-19, 09:26

So true.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-19, 09:34

One could spend an entire day reading and watching 24" iMac unboxing/reviews. They've all hit in the past 24 hours!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-19, 11:37

iJustine got all 7 of them sent to her

Man, to be a reviewer that Apple likes must be super fun.

I also really like MKBHD's videos in general, so here's his iMac video.

chucker

2021-05-19, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
iJustine got all 7 of them sent to her

Man, to be a reviewer that Apple likes must be super fun.

I also really like MKBHD's videos in general, so here's his iMac video.
I love it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-19, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Why?!?

I mean, besides the obvious...

Like movie/trailer "reaction" or review YouTubers, some of these iNerd types are a little easier to watch than others. If I want upspeak, "like" every third word, hyperbolic wigging out over every little thing and a vague air of condescension/entitlement, I'll zip over to my local junior high and eavesdrop on a bunch of chicks talking about "like, Brandon and Caleb".

I do prefer the more sedate, mature ones. They take some effort to find. Folks like Jason Snell, with a few years on them and maybe some grey in their hair? They've been in/around this stuff for decades, and their insights/opinions always matter more to me than some of these other goofballs.

He's quick to be an off-putting dick at times, but I kinda wish John Gruber would do review videos. He can be funny, like Jenna Stern, but still do a good job with the details and off-the-beaten-path aspects of products. But I think he just prefers to write.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-19 at 12:57.
chucker

2021-05-19, 13:13

The thing is (ask Marco Arment and Casey Liss), those videos may not look like it, but take a ton of effort to produce.

(I wonder if Gruber might consider using his podcasts to do audio reviews, though?)

I… only skimmed iJustine's video. I'm clearly not the target audience (but hey, if you do offer me all those boxes, I'll totally be toying around like that). I disagree with Marques on multiple points, but appreciate the way he laid them out. Yeah, it's a little fast-paced, but I do enjoy watching him on occasion.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-05-19, 13:24

Gruber has made comments to the affect of "The Talk Show is the Director's Commentary to Daring Fireball"

I could see that.

He sometimes goes way into products both on DF and the podcast, and other times, he just gives a few paragraphs and a few minutes on others.

I do like reading/listening to him more so than the rest. He just seems like a "regular guy who likes Apple stuff" more so than a product reviewer. (I also grew up in Philly and went to Drexel, so we have a little bit in common)

I'm not expecting much out of these videos that hasn't already been covered in the Mac mini and MBP reviews. The biggest difference is the screen and the color, and both of them will have to be seen in person to truly grasp.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-19, 14:04

Yep. I read that these aren’t much larger, side-to-side, than the 21.5” models. That’s pretty cool. I’m always a big fan of “big a screen as possible in smallest packaging”.

I know they’re popular, but every time I’ve ever sat in front of a 27” iMac, it just felt overwhelming and like it was going to eat me. I always gravitated you the 21.5”
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-19, 14:37

Stuff your face with a big screen, when it comes to working space, it’s totally worth it.

From a budget standpoint the 24” hits the sweet spot, and 4K is more than enough for 99.9% of users. If anything 4K is totally overkill for a 24” screen. Still once you’ve gone big screen it’s hard to go back. Using a notebook is painful.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-05-19, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Stuff your face with a big screen, when it comes to working space, it’s totally worth it.

From a budget standpoint the 24” hits the sweet spot, and 4K is more than enough for 99.9% of users. If anything 4K is totally overkill for a 24” screen. Still once you’ve gone big screen it’s hard to go back. Using a notebook is painful.
Yes. The 24" iMac looks very nice, but I'm accustomed to working a 27" screen now.

My biggest question about the 24" iMac is what it would be like moving from a 27 " [2560 x 1440] to a 24" [4480 x 2520] screen.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-05-19, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
From a budget standpoint the 24” hits the sweet spot, and 4K is more than enough for 99.9% of users.
The 24" iMac M1 is a 4.5K display (4480-by-2520).