Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPod Video and Cell Phone don't get along.. messed up

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod Video and Cell Phone don't get along.. messed up
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-11-13, 02:24

I just found out now that my cell phone messes up the ipod video. if i get a call on my phone and its sitting next to the ipod then the ipod goes crazy increasing and decreasing the volume quickly non stop. this is messed up.

http://www.248am.com/mark/interestin...t-like-phones/

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2005-11-13, 02:41

weird... whats actually causing this? im curious
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-13, 02:50

iPod Video has secret cellular wireless receiver? CONFIRMED!!1!11!

That is weird, though. Do you have the means to post a video of it in action?
usurp

2005-11-13, 02:54

i will record a video with a phone. please hold.
usurp

2005-11-13, 03:18

http://www.248am.com/video/ipodvideogoingcrazy.3gp

here is the video. right click and save as. its low res but will shoot better one once i get home. notice how the volume starts acting up.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
usurp

2005-11-13, 03:24

whats probably causing this is the same thing that causes monitors to filcker when the phone rings. but the problem here is that ipods and cell phones will mostly be carried together so its anoying cuz now you need to keep your phone and ipod apart.

shatteringglass

2005-11-13, 03:47

I wonder if all 5G iPods do this...

I think the 5G iPod has probably the poorest QC of any Apple product in years. I already returned three. All for different problems. Hopefully my fourth one will be a good one.
usurp

2005-11-13, 04:01

dude did u see how cheap the packaging is? Compared to the second generation 20gb ipod I had the packaging is a joke.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-11-13, 08:20

Looks to me like a problem with the click wheel... radio interference from the phone is setting off the little contacts inside it.
shatteringglass

2005-11-13, 12:15

The click wheel explanation makes sense...

Yeah, the packaging is abysmal. While I appreciate Apple cutting down on excessive packaging materials waste, this is ridiculous. The box doesn't look like it pads the back of the iPod very well. I guess there are always trade-offs when your product becomes a commodity item.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-11-13, 12:44

How close do they have to be to cause the problem?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-13, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Looks to me like a problem with the click wheel... radio interference from the phone is setting off the little contacts inside it.
Yup. And as usurp says. It's induced current caused by the strong radio field around the mobile as it steps up power for it's transceiver and connects to the mobile network at full power when making / receiving a call... The same thing that makes TVs and Radios go click click burrr burrrr click..

It's just like a mini EMP!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
shatteringglass

2005-11-13, 12:52

If you have the iPod's hold switch on, I assume this problem won't happen?
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-11-13, 13:40

Yeah.
With the hold switch on, the effect doesn't occur.
Reid

2005-11-16, 16:38

This is definitely the real thing; my RAZR and iPod do not get along when in close proximity. Appears to only work with Cingular phones, if the discussions on Apple's support forum are to be believed. Must be some conflict with the Apple click wheel and the frequency of Cingular's GSM signal.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-11-16, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
This is definitely the real thing; my RAZR and iPod do not get along when in close proximity. Appears to only work with Cingular phones, if the discussions on Apple's support forum are to be believed. Must be some conflict with the Apple click wheel and the frequency of Cingular's GSM signal.
I have a T-Mobile RAZR and it doesn't do anything overly weird to my 3G iPod, nor my brother's mini. Haven't tried using it next to a click wheel-full sized iPod yet, though.
Reid

2005-11-17, 00:44

It's only an issue with the latest generation of iPods that use click wheels designed by Apple, instead of by Synaptics. The affected iPods are 5th Generation 30 & 60GB models (with video), and the iPod nano.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-11-17, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I wonder if my Motorola V180 with Cingular will do the same thing. I'll have to try this out at the mini store with my phone when I go home for break next week. Should make for an interesting spectacle... Hope they don't kick me out.

EDIT : AI is also suggesting that this is an issue with GSM phones and not CDMA ones.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Last edited by Elysium : 2005-11-17 at 13:47.
notaclone

2005-11-19, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteringglass
I think the 5G iPod has probably the poorest QC of any Apple product in years. I already returned three. All for different problems. Hopefully my fourth one will be a good one.
Please elaborate? I just ordered mine and I need things to obsess over! (I'm actually GLAD I dropped my powerbook, now I can stop polishing it constantly. It amazing, BTW, how many times a cat can pull the keys off, and they still snap back on).
shatteringglass

2005-11-23, 00:46

The first one had a huge seam between the metal and plastic shells, almost like the robots at Apple's contractor's facility got lazy, and didn't fully put together the unit. The second one came with thousands of little scratches and pits on the screen, and had several stuck pixels. The third one was seemingly perfect, but the audio signal was extremely noisy, even when not playing music, I could hear a constant hiss coming from my headphones.

I finally got my third replacement. The click wheel seems to be placed off-center, there is a small gap between the two shells, but everything else seems fine, so I guess I'm settling with this one.