User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Airport Extreme "N"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Airport Extreme "N"
macmac

2007-03-19, 11:35

I just set up my new AE and love it but have a quick question. I hooked up a 4 port USB2 hub and plugged in a couple hard drives, a printer, and my ipod. I can access the hard drives, print to the printer, and my ipod even mounts on my desktop. For some reason, itunes does not recognize the ipod. It wont sync or even pop up in the itunes menu bar. Any ideas?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-03-19, 11:44

That's not supported. Don't think you'll ever get it to work without Apple specifically adding support.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-19, 11:56

The short answer: an AirPort Extreme isn't intended for that. It supports sharing USB printers and USB hard drives, and that's all.

The long answer: the AirPort Disk feature mounts disks as network volumes (I don't have one, but I strongly suspect so), whereas iTunes works with local volumes. Someone might be able to find a workaround, but I'm fairly sure this is why.
macmac

2007-03-19, 12:05

That makes sense. My itunes library is on the external drive that is plugged into the AE but itunes uses it and streams music and video to my laptop anyplace in the house so that is very nice, just wish it would sync the ipod. Hopefully there will be a workaround soon. Thanks again for the info!
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-03-19, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The short answer: an AirPort Extreme isn't intended for that. It supports sharing USB printers and USB hard drives, and that's all.

The long answer: the AirPort Disk feature mounts disks as network volumes (I don't have one, but I strongly suspect so), whereas iTunes works with local volumes. Someone might be able to find a workaround, but I'm fairly sure this is why.
It's not so much the local vs. network volume as much as it's a "network ipod" I think.

Apple has weird iPod mojo in iTunes as far as what will load/work/play/etc.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-03-19, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
It's not so much the local vs. network volume as much as it's a "network ipod" I think.

Apple has weird iPod mojo in iTunes as far as what will load/work/play/etc.
Well, with features such as turning off disk mode (where the iPod isn't actually mounted at all, and iTunes works with it directly), it makes sense that iTunes expects it to be a locally-connected device. Apple probably never will turn the AirPort Express's USB port into a general network-shared USB hierarchy, since there's too much complexity and too little market for it.