Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone durability

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone durability
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
elvia

2007-07-08, 23:01

I was working under my ford f350 today. As I slid under the truck, I took my iphone off of my belt. It was in my Dio leather case. I slid it to the edge of the utility bed. As I finished under the truck, I slid out and absent minded, I forgot the iphone was in front of the dual wheels. My wife came out and asked if she could come with me for the test ride. Sure, In we hopped. About 3 miles out from the house, I reached for my phone. PANIC SETS IN... My phone was not on my belt..... I really did panic, did I leave it on the bumper? I pulled over and looked in the bed of the truck. No phone. We raced back home looking on the road as we retraced out path home. when we got home I went to the spot where the phone was. It was still there, but pressed into the ground by being run over by my 12,000 pound truck. My wife reached for it. I said Wait. We prayed over it. I then pulled it out of the grass and opened it up. WOW, it was not broken into a dozen parts. Turned it on and slid the slider and whaola. It WORKS. I was never so unglued about possibly seeing it in pieces.
So, a testemant for the iphone. It really is durable.
Oh, I don't plan on trying this again, I might have a heart attack.
Go Iphone

Last edited by elvia : 2007-07-09 at 08:39.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-08, 23:09

Good to know.

I'll be giving mine the "swimming pool submersion test" at some point...probably whether I want to or not. I report back here on the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvia View Post
I was never so unglued about seeing it in pieces.
This sentence confuses me a bit. So did it break a bit (but still managed to boot up and work), or did you mean to say you didn't become unglued because it wasn't broken into pieces? I can't get what you're saying here exactly.

The phone did - or did not - break into pieces?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-08, 23:11

Nice. Was it in the yard when you ran over it, hard-packed earth, soft loam... inquiring minds want to know!
elvia

2007-07-09, 08:27

the phone Did not break. It survived the rollover. the ground was grass over dirt. The grass was thick, so it acted as a cushion. But It definitely was pressed into the top soil. thank you thank you thank you
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-07-09, 08:31

Perhaps you should send a letter to Apple and maybe they will start a advertising campaign like Timex did back in the 1960s with the durability of their watches .
elvia

2007-07-09, 08:37

I did send an email to apple feedback. think that would be good enough?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-07-09, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvia View Post
I did send an email to apple feedback. think that would be good enough?
I send a photo too. You never know. Perhaps you will get featured somehow.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-09, 11:27

Definitely! Companies love stuff like this. You never know...it might even make its way into a commercial or keynote mention.

"How tough is iPhone? Well, funny you should ask...BOOM!"
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-07-09, 12:05

I know that PC World dropped it onto concrete but do you all think it can survive a 4 or 5 foot drop onto slate floors? I just moved into my new apartment and my first night there I tried to answer my phone and dropped it onto the slate floor. I have a motorola Razr and the front glass covering the screen shattered. It is still there but it is really broken. Perfect excuse to upgrade to an iPhone but at the same time I am now scared to put that much money into something I can break easily. I am normally not that clumsy with electronics. I think it is a sign.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-07-09, 12:13

I saw on another forum where they cracked the glass in the lower right hand corner after a 1 foot drop onto concrete. It really seems if the iPhone lands flat you'll be OK, but if you hit a corner you'll probably compress the glass surface beyond its ability to compensate.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-09, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
I know that PC World dropped it onto concrete but do you all think it can survive a 4 or 5 foot drop onto slate floors? I just moved into my new apartment and my first night there I tried to answer my phone and dropped it onto the slate floor. I have a motorola Razr and the front glass covering the screen shattered. It is still there but it is really broken. Perfect excuse to upgrade to an iPhone but at the same time I am now scared to put that much money into something I can break easily. I am normally not that clumsy with electronics. I think it is a sign.
Maybe get one of those padded rubber sleeve thingies to surround it? They're often a bit ugly and bulky (and negate the sleek beauty of the iPod...oops, more "stupid fanboy comments", I'm afraid... ), but it might take the occasional accidental drop.

I've dropped my current phone probably 6-8 good times in three years (and always on concrete or tile, never once on soft carpet or grass...why?!? ), so there's part of me that realizes a) it's gonna happen, or b) I need to just start being more careful and deliberate in my movements (I'll have my cell phone on my tummy or lap while lying on the couch...I'll forget about it, stand up and *BANG*, it'll fall to the floor...a hard, unforgiving tile floor, no less). If I can just quit doing stupid, forgetful stuff like that (or leaning over the swimming pool with it in my loose shirt pocket), I'll be okay.

But I know quite a few companies are selling those rubberized, form-fitting sleeves. iSkin, Speck and others.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-07-09, 13:14

Just about every time I've dropped my cell phone it's when I'm getting into or out of a car. Of course it's always from full height onto concrete. Wonder how the iPhone will handle this. With me, it's only a matter of time before my klutz gene kicks in.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-09, 13:21

For me, I often forget my phone's in my shirt pocket and I'll bend down. Normally, I don't care, but I'd be really crushed if it were my iPhone. Good to know it can withstand some abuse.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-09, 13:29

This shirt pocket thing seems to hammer a lot of us.

That's something just screaming for a cool idea or solution...

An end to the "bending over and expensive stuff falls out of your shirt pocket" era.

Wheels are turning...

Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-09, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
This shirt pocket thing seems to hammer a lot of us.

That's something just screaming for a cool idea or solution...

An end to the "bending over and expensive stuff falls out of your shirt pocket" era.

Wheels are turning...

Um... an amazing new concept for the 21st century?

Spoiler (click to toggle):

...shirt pocket with... um... 'button'?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-09, 13:41

I know, smarty-butt.

I was going to offer that up as a solution.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-07-09, 13:48

Maybe a slightly modified one of these?

Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-09, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I know, smarty-butt.

I was going to offer that up as a solution.

MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-07-10, 09:38

Ars put up their iPhone review with a section on some stress testing they did.

I think it'll answer Paul's question about what happens if it takes a dip in the pool.

It didn't make it.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...-review.ars/13
JayReding

2007-07-10, 10:55

Yeah, the fall unto a hard floor think caused the keypad on my old smartphone to get all wonky. The iPhone seems quite durable, but I'm guessing that optical glass cover wouldn't like being dropped onto a hard surface...
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-07-10, 19:25

Ah, but will it blend?

It's pretty amazing. It holds up for the first few hits... but then it's downhill once the blade hits the back. Is that the battery that explodes into the black smokey powder?

Gotta give them credit... they certainly know what will bring in pageviews.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-10, 19:34

Ha, I was just about to post that. Just saw the link to it from MacRumors.

It's cool to see. But as someone who keeps suffering little setbacks in his quest for one, it was a tad heartbreaking (and upsetting) to see.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-07-11, 00:53

Damn - the blender thing has been mentioned already.

Reminds me of a Harrison Ford quote (paraphrasing here) from Ep IV:
"Good against trucks, that's one thing - but good against a blender, that's something else."

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-11, 01:01

I'm stunned at how long the display kept functioning!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-07-11, 08:42

Damn, that glass did take a beating and it didn't give until its edge was compromised.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-07-11, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
Damn, that glass did take a beating and it didn't give until its edge was compromised.
Seems like in all the glass cracking pictures I've seen, they all start either in the corner or from being dropped on the corner.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-07-11, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
Ah, but will it blend?

It's pretty amazing. It holds up for the first few hits... but then it's downhill once the blade hits the back. Is that the battery that explodes into the black smokey powder?

Gotta give them credit... they certainly know what will bring in pageviews.
I found that mildly upsetting! What a waste of an iPhone (and several hundred dollars). I mean, they could have given it to me and I would have put it to MUCH better use.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-07-11, 09:54

I'm sure there are plenty of other frustrated would-be iPhone buyers who want to see if his hand blends.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-11, 10:05

Like goldfish in an art installation.
¡Damned!

2007-07-11, 10:09

Fuck the iPhone....I want one of those blenders!