User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

ADC to DVI Powered Adapters, oh and Dual Link stuff...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ADC to DVI Powered Adapters, oh and Dual Link stuff...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-04-08, 23:40

Q1 : Anyone know of anyone anywhere who has taken a non-powered ADC to DVI adapter and paired it with a bastardized Apple PSU?

I have been trawling eBay for the official Apple one because at $150 (Apple Store Price) I am not far off the price of a new monitor from wholesale outlets in Thailand... But everyone out there is nuts.. They bid these second hand sight-unseen official Apple Adapters up to close to the retail price from Apple!!

I have a lot of Apple PSUs kicking around and am toying with the idea of making one myself.. Just wondered if anyone has seen a web article about it anywhere.. I don't care about USB.

Q2 : Has anyone tried to use the MBP Dual Link adapters with anything other than Apple Monitors? I am toying with the idea of trying to mix and match an Apple Cinema Display with a BenQ DIsplay of the same spec and running them off a Dual Link Adapter.. But from what I read around and about it doesn't seem that it's that simple..

Anyone done this? Any Feedback Appreciated. Thanks.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-04-08, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Q1 : Anyone know of anyone anywhere who has taken a non-powered ADC to DVI adapter and paired it with a bastardized Apple PSU?

I have been trawling eBay for the official Apple one because at $150 (Apple Store Price) I am not far off the price of a new monitor from wholesale outlets in Thailand... But everyone out there is nuts.. They bid these second hand sight-unseen official Apple Adapters up to close to the retail price from Apple!!

I have a lot of Apple PSUs kicking around and am toying with the idea of making one myself.. Just wondered if anyone has seen a web article about it anywhere.. I don't care about USB.
Given that an ADC screen would, by now, have lost much of its brightness, it doesn't strike me as a good investment. (Even without that, $150 for an adapter is obviously not a particularly great deal…)

Quote:
Q2 : Has anyone tried to use the MBP Dual Link adapters with anything other than Apple Monitors? I am toying with the idea of trying to mix and match an Apple Cinema Display with a BenQ DIsplay of the same spec and running them off a Dual Link Adapter.. But from what I read around and about it doesn't seem that it's that simple..

Anyone done this? Any Feedback Appreciated. Thanks.
You mean from mini-DisplayPort, yes?

Apple says:
Quote:
Use the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter to connect your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air to a 30-inch display that includes a DVI connector, such as the 30-inch Apple Cinema Display HD.
Typically, when they want to imply that only their own hardware is supported, they write it that way — the "such as", to me, suggests that it should work with any display that has dual-link DVI in. Perhaps the firmware update helps?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-04-09, 00:02

Well I generally agree with you on your answer to Q1, except this Cinema Display probably has less than 100 hours use on it.. It's my G5s monitor which has become a headless home server and occasional iPhoto / IMovie editing suite. I am more interested if anyone has seen anyone getting their soldering iron out and adapting a non-powered adapter and a bog standard PSU. It strikes me as an interesting weekend project. That's all.

On the Dual Link stuff. I have read that, and again agree Apple try to drive you to their gear.. But I have been reading that it's really flakey with a lot of third party monitors which *should* be ok. So was hoping for some anecdotal evidence from anyone who had done it. Again, splashing out $50 on a piece of plastic from Apple to find it doesn't work for some reason, would be frustrating!

Also because I am developing multi-screen OpenGL stuff I want to have as much generic gear as possible to catch any issues which may not show up on a "perfect" setup. It's not that I am cheap or anything!

The FW update didn't do much for me.. Even the slight second monitor flicker I thought was probably just age on that display turned out to be just that, and nothing to do with Apple AFAIK.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt