User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

MacBook Pro means MacBook? What about the iBook...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Pro means MacBook? What about the iBook...
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2006-01-11, 13:14

Here's my radical idea...

The iMac G5 became the iMac, so the iBook G4 should become the iBook when it switches to Intel. Yet Apple introduced the MacBook Pro, which indicates a MacBook (w/o the “Pro”). Maybe Apple is going to introduce a new product, the MacBook, alongside the iBook.

It’ll be aluminum, but it will be tiny. Heck, maybe even a tablet computer (unlikely). I think that it will be a super-small laptop, smaller than the iBook but for the professional market as a companion for someone’s desktop computer. Any way you look at it, consider the idea that an MacBook will be introduced along side the Intel iBook. Maybe a middle-ground laptop between the iBook and MacBook Pro. Whatever you like, think about the possibility of having three notbook computers offered from Apple.

Discuss.
Baylor8306

2006-01-11, 15:38

Quote:
but for the professional market
Why would they have a MacBook Pro and then introduce a MacBook for the "professional market" and it not have "Pro" in the name? Isn't that the reason for having the Pro in there in the first place?

PowerBook G4 1GHz www.baylor.edu
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-01-11, 15:47

The super high price of the MacBook Pro does suggest that there should be an inbetween.
Baylor8306

2006-01-11, 15:48

I'm not saying that there won't be an inbetween, but why would they make a MacBook that was for profesionals but didn't include "Pro"
Dima

Send a message via ICQ to Dima  
2006-01-11, 16:04

wonder how intel powermacs will be named... MacMacs?
what a stupid naming policy...
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-11, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876
The super high price of the MacBook Pro does suggest that there should be an inbetween.
Your hypothetical in-between, however, practically moves the iBook to sub $1200, which I find unlikely, unless there is only one iBook model.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-11, 16:10

There's always "in between" space in Apple's line-up it seems. Never winds up being a huge problem or deal-killer.

Maybe the iBook will be more of a tiered thing, spanning the $899-1399 space?

Does there HAVE to be a laptop costing $1699 or so, if 99% of the population's needs are met by a consumer-oriented iBook in the $1,000 neighborhood, and then a full-featured, power-packed model for "pros" starting at $1,999?

There's no desktop currently in the $799-1199 range, you know?

People get a Mac mini. Or make an effort (save a bit longer, sell one of your kids, etc.) to step up to an iMac.

Since the eMac was yanked, there's no intermediate step, and we've lived.

What, theoretically, could be the kind of feature or capability that could realistically differentiate a nice ~$1299 Intel iBook and the $1999 MacBook Pro?

BTW, I'm still of the opinion the 17" laptop is gone, and ain't coming back (if it did, they're gonna be pricing it in that high-$2,000 ballpark anyway). I think, instead, they'll just make the new MacBook Pro the standard, and keep improving it to ridiculous degrees.

It's got the resolution the 17" has had all these years, AND it connects to any DVI or VGA display in existence...
Mac Donald

2006-01-11, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876
Huh?!? Same price as a 15 inch G4 Powerbook.
Mac Donald

2006-01-11, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
BTW, I'm still of the opinion the 17" laptop is gone, and ain't coming back (if it did, they're gonna be pricing it in that high-$2,000 ballpark anyway). I think, instead, they'll just make the new MacBook Pro the standard, and keep improving it to ridiculous degrees.

It's got the resolution the 17" has had all these years, AND it connects to any DVI or VGA display in existence...
I am going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. The current PB G4 15 inch also connects to any DVI or VGA display that I know of (the 30 inch cinema display is no problemo so I assume other 30 inchers would also be ok). Moreover, the 17 incher was a VERY popular model, a big seller which I am sure generates a higher profit than the 15 incher. Thus, I would almost guarantee they release a 17 inch MacBook Pro -- the reason they did not yesterday is simple. The 15 inchers sell more, and are more in demand (17 inch while popular and profitable is more of a niche market), and Intel cannot guarantee enough chips for a while for Apple to fill orders. So, they only announce the 15 inchers and wait until Intel can guarnatee more chips to announce the 17 incher, and I am guessing a 12inch or a 13 inch. Never understood those who think that Apple will abandon the 12 inch (or not make it widescreen at 13) --- again there is a real demand for pro machines in a smaller form than 15 inches, and I don't think Apple has a problem getting a core duo in one. Mark my words: This all will happen. Just like I was pretty sure Steve would announce an iPod licensing program yesterday as well.

Someone hacked my signature. I demand an investigation.
MacGregor

2006-01-11, 17:25

I don't see an advantage with this new naming policy either, but I think the iBook is gone too. Jobs clearly states that he wants "Mac" in the name of every computer Apple makes from now on to separate it by name and design from other intel boxes. A little over the top, but it may be consistent if the iBook becomes the MacBook and the PowerMac becomes the MacStation or some such thing.

The "Mother of All" Flip-flops.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/
Support the Freedom of Information Act by using it ... support the troops by being an informed electorate!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-11, 17:29

You two Mac guys are BOTH on drugs.

LAmezq3984

2006-01-12, 03:29

yeah, the iBook is gone, it will become the MacBook, as the PowerBook has become the MacBook Pro. the Mac Mini is set already, as is iMac, and the PowerMac will just be PowerMac. It really isn't that hard.
MacGregor

2006-01-12, 03:36

But wouldn't "PowerBook Core" been a cool name!?
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 03:51

Yeah, but if someone is running windows on it, no one(outside of the mac world) would even say "Hey isn't that suppose to be running OS X?" They'll just think it's a new Windows laptop.

Mac=OS X
Mac=Not Windows

Even Grandma can remember that. And maybe that's what is the point is here, more exposure for the Mac brand name, so next time Granny is at Wal-Mart, she'll see the Mac mini and buy it for her Grandkids over a Gateway or Dell.

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 04:28

...MacBook Express...? :smokey:
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-01-12, 04:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Donald
Huh?!? Same price as a 15 inch G4 Powerbook.
which are extremely expensive
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 08:09

Didn't Steve say he wants the word Mac in every computer's name now? That way the iBook becomes the MacBook (which is a bit cheesy, but they could have done much worse). I think the PowerMac will remain the PowerMac (or maybe the iMac Pro?), and the Mac mini will remain the Mac mini.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-01-12, 08:53

iMac---MacTower Pro
iBook--MacBook Pro

mac mini
xServe (perhaps MacServe)
cinema display

those will be the apple computer products
and all the iPod variations

g
originalpckelly

2006-01-12, 09:30

Why didn't they just call the powerbook replacement the iBook Pro, iBook is an established brand, and sounds a lot better. I just hope they don't mess up the powermac replacement name to much.

They also could have gone with Port-O-Mac, because it is full of c**p.

Last edited by originalpckelly : 2006-01-12 at 09:36.
maverick808

2006-01-12, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalpckelly
Why didn't they just call the powerbook replacement the iBook Pro, iBook is an established brand, and sounds a lot better. I just hope they don't mess up the powermac replacement name to much.
The didn't go with iBook Pro because Steve said he wants the word "Mac" in the name. He also said they dropped the "power" because "we're kinda done with Power".

The new iBook will definitely be called just MacBook and I bet the PowerMac just becomes "Mac Pro".
mwe

2006-01-12, 11:48

So when do you think we'll see the new MacBooks (iBook)? I'm thinking that they could be announced anytime soon now that the MacBook Pros were announced first (perhaps as soon as the Pros start shipping).
neiltc13

2006-01-12, 11:50

Jobs said in the keynote they want the word "Mac" in all of their computer names. I guess that means it's going to be Macbook.
maverick808

2006-01-12, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwe
So when do you think we'll see the new MacBooks (iBook)? I'm thinking that they could be announced anytime soon now that the MacBook Pros were announced first (perhaps as soon as the Pros start shipping).
I would guess we'll see them by the end of the first quarter.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 13:41

Yeah and both the iBook and Powerbook will get the biggest makeover. In two places:

*Size
*Speed

Both will stay the same color(iBook white, Powermac Silver) but that's about the only thing they will keep from the PPC days..

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-13, 10:55

I'm seeing now that the new Intel iMac supports spanning and digital video out.

Forgive a stupid question, but is that more a function of the graphics card they went with, OR something more as a result of the Intel guts and all?

What I'm getting at is: would this have ANY bearing at all on the possibility of spanning also coming to the iBook?

If the MacBook Pro is going to start out at $1,999 I think it makes some sense to allow spanning in the new Intel iBooks, realizing that TONS of people who need that feature aren't all going to be able to shell out two grand for the honor.

I just found out about the iMac, so I was curious if that could be taken as any indication of how a future iBook might go...
Reid

2006-01-13, 13:12

I think MacBook Pro is a silly name, but it does give me an idea of a future Apple product matrix that isn't just chopped into 4 quadrants. Come to think of it where does Mac mini fit in with that antiquated model? I think that was the machine that began to lead us into a new era.

What if we don't try to predict what they'll "rename" the iBook? Instead, I think Apple really envisions a broader spectrum of products than they currently offer. A spectrum that isn't as easy to wedge into a Power___, i___ naming scheme.

You'd have, on the portable side:
- MacBook Pro: high performance dual cores, big 15-17" screens
- MacBook: single core, low power usage, mid-sized 13-14" screens
- MacBook mini: ultra-thin and ultra-portable, maybe even using 1.8" drives and a small 12-inch widescreen; miniaturazition may mean it's more expensive than MacBook (VERY common in the Windows PC world)

On the desktop side:
- iMac: the icon of Apple, a powerful but simple all-in-one PC
- Mac Pro: the big, expandable, multi-processer towers
- Mac: a mid-range "headless" iMac, maybe with one expansion slot
- Mac mini: entry level, single-core, limited if any expandability

And then, of course, there's the capper:
- MacPod: the living room Mac designed for media storage and playback

EDIT: In this scenario, you wouldn't really have to worry about "cannibalization" between product lines, when iBook performance encroaches on PowerBook performance, etc. People will just choose the product that best fits their needs. Because they'll all be using Intel chipsets with a variety of processor choices, there won't be as much overlap and each will be refreshed as bumps become available. Thoughts?

Last edited by Reid : 2006-01-13 at 13:22.
Dr_LHA

2006-01-13, 14:07

Quote:
- Mac: a mid-range "headless" iMac, maybe with one expansion slot
This is my dream machine. Especially as I already own a 20.1" Widescreen LCD display that I'm currently plugging my PB into. A low cost decent headless Mac is really what I'm after.