AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Safari Color Problems

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Safari Color Problems
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-02-08, 23:30

I am using css to make a background a solid color. I also made an image in PHP with a solid background color to match. It does in firefox (win/mac) and winIE, but in safari, as you can see, it does NOT match...

http://www.swigg.net:2222/ast3r3x/

Any reason Safari displays png's with a weird color profile? If I make the image gif, it displays correctly.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-08, 23:37

Stealing ideas from John Gruber, are we?
ast3r3x

2005-02-09, 06:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Stealing ideas from John Gruber, are we?
Indeed. I had to write it all my own though...

Quote:
<snip>me sucking up</snip>
I'm writing a site much like xanga.com only exclusively for friends of mine, and I was wondering if I could use parts of your CSS file for a pre-made template that my friends can pick from. I love the clean minimalist design of your site and would appreciated if I could get your permission to use it. Thanks in advance for your reply, if you'd prefer I don't, I understand, you put some time and effort into making such a great design and to not want someone to just grab your hard work is understandable.

then his reply...

Quote:
It's not so much that I don't want to share, as it is that I deem
the look and feel of DF to be a significant part of the brand. So,
while I very much appreciate your kind words regarding the content
and design of the site, I must say no to your request.

However, two additional points:

1. I don't mind at all that you asked, and I appreciate very much
the care you took to state up front that you wouldn't mind if my
answer is "no". I tend to get these requests once or twice a
month, and most times, they're stated along the lines of "You
wouldn't mind if I copied your CSS, would you?"

2. I very much encourage you to think about what it is that you
like about DF's design, and to derive your own CSS
implementation of these ideals. A few suggestions:

+ There's no need to draw boxes around text. Text itself
naturally forms boxes on its own, as does the browser window.

+ If you're designing a site that is meant to be *read*,
fewer columns are better. Two columns are better than three.
One column is better than two. If you must use two columns
(and I do), put as little in the secondary column as
possible.

+ Try to use as few fonts, in as few sizes, as possible.

+ Keep the columns relatively narrow.

In short, I would not mind at all if you created your own stylesheet
that was inspired by DF's design.

Regards,

-J.G.
Still too close? I mean, I used all my own code. Well ok, I did steal out right his article divider....and the background color I'm using will be one hex digit off

I'm writing a multi user blog system, and that was just the first theme I made. I'm going to let people choose from different themes and edit their own CSS files. Eventually I'll make a page to simply edit the colors used in your CSS.

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2005-02-09 at 07:01.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-09, 07:02

Still too close? Before the page even finished loading, I already thought it was a direct rip of DF. But, hey, it's your web site. Do what you please.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ast3r3x

2005-02-09, 07:08

Well I know it's very close. I mean, do you think that he would be upset with how close it was? I thought he was saying I could use the design, but I had to do it myself. Besides the background color, I coded everything myself and didn't look at his CSS file so I couldn't copy it.

Well I don't want to do what I please, I mean I'm not trying to be an asshole. It's not like ever blog will be this design either, this was just one of the more simple designs I could pump out quickly. My site (http://www.swigg.net:2222/) looks nothing like his, I just liked his style for a blog.

http://www.apple.com/logic/ -
I'm glad you guys changed the background to make it darker...more green?

I'm just saying, he said I couldn't copy it, but I could make a site inspired by DF's design. What does that mean?

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2005-02-09 at 07:14.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-02-09, 10:44

It's kind of like doing a cover of a song. You don't want to play it exactly like the original artist. Instead, you want to become inspired by it and re-shape it around yourself; use the original to give birth to your own creation.

Just because you figured out the chords without the sheet music doesn't mean you win the key to play the song. Likewise, just because you figured out the code without using his source doesn't mean you get to use his design. He wants you to learn from the design principles he employed and create your own.

*smack*

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
ast3r3x

2005-02-09, 12:15

Damn you and your quality analogies.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-10-01, 00:21

Bump, and with a question, because this is the only thread that came up on a search for the terms background image color match:

A user on another forum (barely computer-related) has the very same question about an image & background on his website:
http://aahhhhchu.cmonace.net/

I mentioned that it was probably an embedded ColorSync profile in the jpeg, which won't apply to the hex background color. Funny that it shows up with the same differences on my computer, though.

So -- what's up with it? What can I go back & tell this guy?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-10-01, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
Bump, and with a question, because this is the only thread that came up on a search for the terms background image color match:

A user on another forum (barely computer-related) has the very same question about an image & background on his website:
http://aahhhhchu.cmonace.net/

I mentioned that it was probably an embedded ColorSync profile in the jpeg, which won't apply to the hex background color. Funny that it shows up with the same differences on my computer, though.

So -- what's up with it? What can I go back & tell this guy?
That camera image (index.jpg) has no embedded color profile.

Although, from what I can see, there's no problem visually with that page. The background color of the JPG (#181818) is the same background color of the HTML (#181818). The colors match in Safari 2.0.4, Shiira (my custom build), and Camino 1.0+.

Perhaps he's fixed it between the time you last contacted him and the time you posted it here?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-10-01, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Perhaps he's fixed it between the time you last contacted him and the time you posted it here?
Yes, he has -- one of the other forum members over there pointed this out:
Quote:
Looks like there's definitely some color issue with the JPG you're using in your layout. The problem with JPG images is that they do not use indexed color. This means that you cannot always depend on the color you create in Photoshop to end up in the JPG after compression. GIF on the other hand uses a color table, so a background of a specific color will match pretty much 100% of the time.

Having said that, I did get this image to work. When you export images from Photoshop for use in web layouts, you don't want any color profile information. I opened the JPG in Photoshop and then used the "Save for Web" item under File to export a regular JPG image. I used the preset for JPG high quality. Don't embed an ICC profile.

I've attached the image in case you want to use it. Alternatively, you can export a GIF 128 with dither. The background color carries perfectly, but you do get some color banding in the subtle shading of the camera grip.
Screenshots of the differences were posted here:
Firefox:
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/404/firefoxue1.png
Safari:
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6986/safarifn3.png
ast3r3x

2006-10-01, 12:12

Just for the record, I never made the site I was talking about, but I did change designs so it wasn't like his at all then. It was a completely different look. Just saying so I don't look as stupid as this thread shows