User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Macbook Screen Behavior

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Macbook Screen Behavior
daftgem

2006-12-16, 02:30

I have noticed that my girlfriend's new MacBook acts differently than my PowerBook.

What I am talking about is the speed at which the screen dims and re-brightens. For instance, when my PB is off the battery the screen will dim after 60 seconds of inactivity. The screen will gradually dim in about a second and a half. This dimming is pleasing to the eye. The screen will also re-brighten in the same gradual manner.

In contrast my girlfriend's MacBook will also dim after 60 seconds when off AC power. But instead of gradually her screen will dim immediately. In other words its bright and then !POOF! it's dim. It is not nearly as pleasant as my PowerBook.

My question is this behavior normal for a MacBook? If I were to upgrade to a MacBook Pro would I also see this behaviour?

This seems like a step backwards to me. Any response is appreciated! Thanks!

- David in Tidewater Virginia
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-12-16, 02:35

The macbookpro dims instantly as well, although I can't say that I recall my powerbook ever dimming over a long period like you're describing. I'm pretty sure my powerbook dimmed instantly just like this one.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
euain

2006-12-16, 05:20

Can confirm that my PB (1.67, Jan 2005 model) dims instantly, no gradual fade for me. (There might be a system preference??)
Wrao
Yarp

2006-12-16, 13:05

Sometimes when my battery is really low on my macbook and I plug it in and wake it up, instead of immediately snapping back to where it was, the screen turns gray with a really low contrast imprint of the desktop, and it gradually fades back to what it was (Assumedly when the battery died). I have not decided whether or not this is a feature or glitch or whether I like it or not. But, it does happen.

I don't recall my 1st rev aluminum powerbook gradually fading in, but, in general the screen brightness was a lot more dynamic and easy on the eyes(thanks to the ambient light sensor, something every notebook should have imo)