AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Tiger feature? (old-style Apple menu)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger feature? (old-style Apple menu)
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2005-04-06, 23:15

It's good to see you're keeping an open mind... I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by Spotlight -- it's rather like an Apple menu that has everything you want hidden away, w/o having to arrange it, at a touch of a few keystrokes. If not, there's always Docked folders or FruitMenu.
admactanium

2005-04-07, 00:16

command-space would be a bad option since it will override the most commonly used key command in all adobe graphics apps. to be fair, adobe claimed it first.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-04-07, 00:56

Adobe apps also use other Apple keyboard shortcuts. This is why Apple lets you change them (unlike Adobe).
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2005-04-07, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by admactanium
command-space would be a bad option since it will override the most commonly used key command in all adobe graphics apps. to be fair, adobe claimed it first.
Well, Apple's used it for toggling language sets for a quite a while now -- something I've always thought was a disappointingly specialized use for such an extremely handy key command.

Anyway, I'm going to assume that general users outnumber hardcore Photoshop jockeys who rely on command-space instead of command-+/- oh, say, four thousand to one, and the latter group will just have to choose something else for Spotlight.
jouster

2005-04-08, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk173
Thanks for the responses. I'll try the Dock option described above but I prefer the old Apple Menu option where you could navigate strictly by trackpad/mouse (vs. control-clicking a Dock icon).

I don't understand the "Thankfully, no" comment above. How would an Apple Menu-type option be obtrusive to people who didn't want it? It would not be much different from the current "Recent Items" menu.
Indeed. I find that the "Recent Items" works admirably, and seems to include most of the functionality you want. It requires only a click and release to open an app or file. How would the Apple menu improve on that?

Also, this is more or less one of the things the dock was designed for.

Edit: teh spelingz

Last edited by jouster : 2005-04-08 at 16:21.
jsk173

2005-04-08, 16:36

That's exactly my point -- I'd like the same functionality of the Recent Items menu but for my whole Home folder (I'd settle for just my Documents folder). I don't understand why that would be difficult (or obtrusive for people who don't want it; there's no big uproar over the existence of the Recent Items menu).

They added the Go menu to the Finder but then cut off the functionality by making people open the folder instead of cutting straight to the desired doc/app. Very non-Mac OS X, if you ask me.

(As discussed above, Spotlight might make this moot, but I don't see how having a fully one-handed, non-folder-opening, trackpad-based method of navigation is such a horrendous idea.)
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2005-04-08, 17:17

Quote:
I'd like the same functionality of the Recent Items menu but for my whole Home folder (I'd settle for just my Documents folder). I don't understand why that would be difficult (or obtrusive for people who don't want it; there's no big uproar over the existence of the Recent Items menu).
For Christ's sake, put the Documents folder in the Dock. It will be accessible from every App i Mac OS X, through right click or ctrl-click. This is What the Dock was desinged to do and it's more easy to use sine it's a larger target to click and is reached directly and not through some sub menu.

Put in Finder's side bar too (in fact, it is already there if you've not removed it) so you can reach it easily from every open/save dialog.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-04-08, 18:44

Quote:
(As discussed above, Spotlight might make this moot, but I don't see how having a fully one-handed, non-folder-opening, trackpad-based method of navigation is such a horrendous idea.)
You know, instead of right/control-clicking, you can just click and hold on the icon in the Dock. I do it all the time on my PB. That's perfectly one-handed and trackpad-based.