User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Cell phone/land line for long distance.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cell phone/land line for long distance.
Jerman

2005-11-08, 18:31

I looked through the forums a bit and did not come up with any helpful threads. Basically here is my situation. I am at college and getting married this May. My fiance does not have a cell phone, and my plan is about to expire. (I am on a family plan with my family). I want a plan that can have a second line for very little more. Thing is, we are trying to decide if we even want/need a land line. If we got one we could get an unlimited long distance plan, but it seems like an unnecessary expense. This year I am in the dorms so I do have a land line, so I can use a phone card for my long distance. (About 2 cents/minute). So what is the best thing to do? We certainly want a cell phone for each of us, but also need to do long distance during the day. Sheesh, phone companies are total jerks. 60/month for just 700 minutes!?

As far as mobile goes, I use Cingular and their coverage is excellent here in Arkansas. Sprint seems to be really good as well, so I want to choose between the two. I know Cingular charges 5 cents per KILOBYTE of data transferred on their data services, and Sprint, well, I don't know about Sprint. It would be nice to be able to connect via bluetooth as I do now and not be charged a buttload of $. Anyways, some help would be appreciated. Thanks!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-11-08, 18:45

I haven't had a landline in 3 years. My wife and I both have cell phones. Long distance? What's that?

Yes, cell phones are a ripoff for the minutes you get, but with in network calls being free, it's actually a pretty good deal. I can't speak much to data plans, as I don't have one but cingular has several unlimited data plans. They don't "allow" reverse DUN (dial up networking) technically, but it's doable with little problem. Look at howardforums.com for details.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
shell

2005-11-08, 23:51

Most unlimited data plans are $ expensive $; way more than a college student could afford. T-mobile by far has the best prices, although coverage can be iffy. You might want to test it out before you commit to a plan.
Jerman

2005-11-08, 23:59

Ya, data isn't too big a deal. Just thought Sprint had some cheap unlimited plan, but I must be mistaken. Gosh, they are so expensive for just a few minutes! Perhaps I should get very few minutes and get a land line for long distance... My buddy from Europe told me today just how cheap their service is there, it's ridiculous!
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2005-11-09, 00:20

Cingular is definitely overpriced.. I HATE IT! But, they do have the best service where I live, and everyone I know, practically, has Cingular so.

I still would go with the whole cell phone idea.

Deal with it.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2005-11-09, 01:11

if you do want a landline for long distance, look into vonage or some VOIP. $24.99 for unlimited local and national
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-11-09, 05:09

Skype.

Use it everyday internationally for free to all my Skype mates...

Have used it to call real phones too.. Very good.