User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

AssaultCube - a surprisingly addictive 23MB game (free!)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AssaultCube - a surprisingly addictive 23MB game (free!)
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-06-17, 10:46

AssaultCube is a free game for Windows, Mac and Linux and I just downloaded it after seeing it on Digg. It's bloody amazing, the graphics are (relatively) good and the gameplay is fast and furious. It kind of reminds me of Doom...

So, I'm thinking if lots of us download this, we could have some online gaming action? I'm not really sure how you do it, but I'm sure you can.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-06-17, 10:48

Too bad you didn't find this a couple days ago. I'm at home right now, where I can play games online, but I'm heading back to school this afternoon, and most online gaming can't get through the firewall on the network there.

I'm downloading it to play single player now, though. Thanks for the link!

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-06-17, 10:55

Okay, I just played it for a few minutes, and it's pretty decent. It's much better than I expected, especially for such a small download. Looks like a great way to kill a few minutes. Thanks!

[edit] No post merge? WTF?

I like this game, but the icon is terrible. Luckily, I managed to find a much better one on Interface Lift.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-06-17, 11:14

FYI: It's a universal binary. It doesn't say anywhere obvious on the site that I could find.

It plays pretty well on my G4 Mini; I've not tried it on my MacBook yet.
rampancy

2007-06-17, 12:42

Heh, at first I thought this was another Cube mod alongside ActionCube, and then I realized that this *is* ActionCube (renamed due to complaints from the ActionQuake people).

I've been toying with this mod for a while after I got turned to it on the Cube forums - I'm sure multiplayer is fun but the bots aren't all that hot. I wonder when they'll change over to the newer Sauerbraten (aka Cube 2) engine.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-06-17, 19:39

So you saw that page with all the free games too.

After looking through the entire list I've still yet to find the game I've always been looking for.

It's a lot like Escape Velocity, 'cept its MMO. You can ferry cargo between systems, take on missions, be a pirate, join the police, explore the outer rim, etc. It's 3D, but top down, so you can play it with mouse and keyboard effectively, no joystick necessary. Very shiny and pretty, lots of colorful graphics. There are lots of AI and player police ship in the inner systems so newbs don't get ganked too frequently. There are all sorts of crazy and interesting things in the "outer rim" systems to keep advanced players busy forever.

There are two or three governments which you can charter your ship under. You pay taxes based on income and obey that governments laws regarding cargo and commerce and whatnot, and you get the benefit of police protection, and slightly discounted repairs and upgrades from that government. Or, you can go freelance, pay no taxes, play by your own rules, but always fend for yourself and always pay the full price.

Or, you can be a pirate, and prey on the weaker players ferrying cargo and hope to high hell that the police don't catch you, or that you can outgun them if they do. Find enough other pirates and form an organized interstellar crime syndicate; impose protection fees on smaller colonies, traffic narcotics, slaves, and firearms on a black market, and catch and kill those pesky, self-righteous police players.

If you really hate those damn pirates, you can join your governments police force. Get a commission for blowing pirates out of the stars, get even further discounted repairs and upgrades, and help the galaxy be a more peaceful place. But don't abuse your power by extorting the less fortunate... the governments don't look kindly upon that.

If you just cant get enough combat, join your governments military. Fight for money, get free ships and upgrades, and rack up the kills. It's a dangerous life, but it sure is fun.

I know there are lots of games like this. But they suffer from over-complexity. It's possible to make a game this rich with relatively simple controls and basic concepts, just look at EV. And there are also games like EVE: Online but on top of being extremely complicated, the full 3D doesn't do it for me. Something about top-down is a lot more enticing, and a whole lot easier to just pick up and play.

If anyone knows of a game like this please let me know. The closest thing I've ever found was Sid Meier's Pirates! but I want a game set in 2680, not 1680. I've been dreaming of a game like it forever.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2007-06-17 at 22:28.
rampancy

2007-06-17, 22:54

Have you tried Vega Strike? Or how about Privateer: Gemini Gold (the WC: Privateer remake using the VS engine)? There's also the Wing Commander Saga game that just released a demo a few months ago, using the Freespace 2 Open engine. If you're looking for something simpler, you may be interested in Oolite.

However, the one game that immediately comes to mind is Terminus, a game which pretty much was a 3D EV in the sense that it was highly open-ended. It had a lot of interesting innovations, like dual-joystick support and a true Newtonian physics flight model. There was an OS X port of it that was very rudimentary, but that seems to have disappeared into the ether.

X2 and X3 also fall into that general genre, though X2 was notoriously buggy on both the PC and Mac. (Sadly, the last three games I mentioned aren't freeware).

EDIT: Oops, I forgot you mentioned MMO - there's a game called Vendetta: Online which is like that.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-06-17, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy View Post
Have you tried Vega Strike? Or how about Privateer: Gemini Gold (the WC: Privateer remake using the VS engine)? There's also the Wing Commander Saga game that just released a demo a few months ago, using the Freespace 2 Open engine. If you're looking for something simpler, you may be interested in Oolite.

However, the one game that immediately comes to mind is Terminus, a game which pretty much was a 3D EV in the sense that it was highly open-ended. It had a lot of interesting innovations, like dual-joystick support and a true Newtonian physics flight model. There was an OS X port of it that was very rudimentary, but that seems to have disappeared into the ether.

X2 and X3 also fall into that general genre, though X2 was notoriously buggy on both the PC and Mac. (Sadly, the last three games I mentioned aren't freeware).

EDIT: Oops, I forgot you mentioned MMO - there's a game called Vendetta: Online which is like that.
Yes yes, good suggestions, good games here. But I am looking for a game with a top-down perspective, much like EV.

Like I said, my ideal space trading game is a cross between Elite, Pirates!, and EV.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.