User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

"Giving back"

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Giving back"
veryamusing

2008-05-21, 23:51

I'm wary of posting this thread, but I did so anyway because I'm genuinely curious. Let's try not to embitter the board.

Now then, I [regretfully] asked my mother to whom she "gives back," and why. I also asked her who had ever "given" her anything. She really couldn't tell me, and I told her that I think the idea of "giving back" is absurd for that very reason. By her reaction, you would've thought I had just shown her my new Prince Albert. Instead, I suggested saying "giving," which garnered a horrific blank stare.

<sigh>

So I'm asking y'all. What does "giving back" really mean, if you've never really "gotten" anything from anyone? Why don't we say "giving"?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-05-22, 00:14

riiiiight...

it is an idiom.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-05-22, 01:34

I've always assumed that it means that we are all indebted to society, our families, etc. for what we have to some degree, so in helping others, we are "giving back". Something along those lines.

Of course, all I've gotten from society and my family so far are chronic fatigue and my first grey hairs at 25.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-05-22, 03:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
I've always assumed that it means that we are all indebted to society, our families, etc. for what we have to some degree, so in helping others, we are "giving back". Something along those lines.
Dingdingding.

It stems from the traditional view that we owe those who taught us, raised us, etc. Parents, friends, society at large, deities (if you happen to be a theist), Jack Bauer…
veryamusing

2008-05-22, 06:49

Interesting.

Another question to think about: How has being/not being more or less "fortunate" contributed to your success or failure?

I think "fortune" had very little, if nothing, to do with where I've gotten (which isn't all that far). But poor people, the unemployed, etc., are all said to be "less fortunate." Especially here in America (I just can't speak for other countries), most of us are born with many, many opportunities, and I think we all just choose to capitalize more or less on them.

Thoughts?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-05-22, 07:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryamusing View Post
Interesting.

Another question to think about: How has being/not being more or less "fortunate" contributed to your success or failure?

I think "fortune" had very little, if nothing, to do with where I've gotten (which isn't all that far). But poor people, the unemployed, etc., are all said to be "less fortunate." Especially here in America (I just can't speak for other countries), most of us are born with many, many opportunities, and I think we all just choose to capitalize more or less on them.

Thoughts?
I'm from a definite working class background. My father was a coal miner, and I was the first from his side of the family to go to university as far as I know. Everything I have whether it be experiences or possessions have come from my own pocket. I've paid every penny of every holiday I've ever been on, every computer I've had since the age of 16, my first (and current) car was paid for entirely by me. I've never been given an extravagant gift by anyone in my family and I feel happier for that. I may have excessive student debts, but I'd rather that than have the feeling that I haven't earned everything I cherish.
billybobsky
BANNED

2008-05-22, 10:06

Quote:
Interesting.

Thoughts?
wow. you clearly don't understand the dynamics of social mobility.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-05-22, 13:58

Maybe it's just a physiological semantic misunderstanding...

Let's try substituting other body parts and see if it means more...

Giving chest... nope
Giving legs... nope
Giving arms... nope
Giving feet... nope
Giving hand... maybe lend one, but I'd want it back.
Giving blood... fits, but perhaps not the charity you meant.
Giving skin... Soul version
Giving face... Asian version
Giving neck... nope
Giving head... Ding Ding Ding!¡! Oh wait... wrong forum.

And probably just as well you didn't ask your Mom about that. Ew.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2008-05-22 at 16:10.
apple007
BANNED

2008-05-22, 14:50

Quote:

Thoughts?
In the U.S. in particular, I'd say it's less a matter of economics than home life and parenting. The U.S. is chock full of very successful, very rich people who grew up dirt poor, and very unsuccessful people who grew up rich. Just a guess, but money probably provides a nice head start but isn't necessarily predictive of one's place at the finish line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
wow. you clearly don't understand the dynamics of social mobility.
Worldwide, or in the U.S.? If talking about the issue from a worldwide standpoint, I'd agree that the average person who is born poor will die poor. It's certainly true for most of South America, Asia and Africa. But the U.S. offers massive opportunities for upward mobility for even its absolute poorest people. It's the poor kids who also have the misfortune of having miscreant parents who generally get shafted/left behind.