AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D — June 19

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D — June 19
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-13, 18:16

Nintendo just announced that the 3DS's first killer app (sorry, Steel Diver), The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, will hit North American stores at the end of the 3DS's first quarter on the market, on June 19. That's one of those Sunday releases Nintendo is so fond of. In fact, it's Father's Day!

In addition to 3D graphics, Ocarina of Time 3D will feature the remixed "Master Quest" version of OoT, previously available only on that Wind Waker pre-order bonus disc. Also, the new touchscreen interface should make swapping equipment much easier, making That God Damn Water Temple slightly less god damn.

It's nice that Nintendo is working on ensuring a steady stream of quality 3DS titles, rather than that ~6 month post-launch lull we usually see with new hardware (and are seeing now with the Kinect). Cave Story 3D also comes out the same week.

With Ocarina of Time 3D this summer and Skyward Sword this holiday, it's going to be a Zelda-y year for Nintendo. Appropriate, given that it's the classic franchise's 25th anniversary.

If anyone wants to pre-order OoT 3D like right now, here it is on Amazon. No word on a special gold system bundle yet...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-13, 18:24

Meh. Call me when they rerelease a special edition of ALttP or Link's Awakening. OoT is overrated. There. I said it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-13, 18:28

Also, I will never understand all the whining about the water temple. I never had memories of that level being particularly difficult when I originally played it back in the 90s, and I felt the same way when I replayed the GC disc on the Wii a couple years ago.

Seriously, what was it that I missed? Or do I underestimate my Game Master status?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-13, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Meh. Call me when they rerelease a special edition of ALttP or Link's Awakening. OoT is overrated. There. I said it.
I actually agree, in that it's not the best game ever. (Majora's Mask is better by any metric. OoT was just first.) But it's still really really good, and now it's really really good and portable.

I'd love to see a collection of 2D Zeldas on the original DS. That way, all Nintendo's systems would get a "new" Zelda this year.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-13, 18:34

Quote:
Also, I will never understand all the whining about the water temple. I never had memories of that level being particularly difficult when I originally played it back in the 90s, and I felt the same way when I replayed the GC disc on the Wii a couple years ago.

Seriously, what was it that I missed?
From what I gather, there's a point in the temple where you have a key and there's two accessible locked doors, so it's possible to use the key on the "wrong" door and make completing the temple much more of a hassle? But of course not everyone does this. That, and switching iron boots on and off is tedious, since you couldn't just set them to a C button. I think it took me longer than any other OoT temple, but I don't remember it being that awful — I just mentioned it because its awfulness is a meme.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-13, 19:23

Joystiq's preview is up.

The graphics look much more colorful and vivid, and the sharper textures are a huge improvement over the original's muddy look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystiq
Seeing it side-by-side with the GameCube port made some changes seem even more dramatic. The 3DS version of Hyrule looked more vibrant and alive, with more complex building models and livelier townsfolk giving the impression of an actual castle town, as opposed to the barren, lifeless square encountered before.

The titular 3D effect was pretty subtle: moving models such as enemies, their projectiles and Link stand out, but the environments and the rest don't really pop that much. In the end, I think the less pronounced effect ends up doing right by the game. I didn't have to shift the device at all to try and get the full effect, nor did I feel any strain on my eyes from the prolonged play.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-14, 01:35

Got my pre-order in.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-14, 03:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Got my pre-order in.
Do you have a 3DS, or are you planning on buying one June 19?

The 3DS is the first Nintendo system in forever that I didn't buy at launch, a testament to how broke I am. But I have a hunch I'll end up with one before the end of the year, somehow. The DS is my favorite system ever, after all.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-14, 10:59

June 19th. I leave the 20th to get my stuff back from Vancouver. I need something for the trip. A nice glitch run through OoT will make it more enjoyable through North Dakota and Eastern Montana.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-14, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
June 19th. I leave the 20th to get my stuff back from Vancouver.
Good timing. You'll need the help...Montana is almost as empty and boring as OoT's Hyrule Field!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-14, 11:22

Been through it before, so trust me, I know!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-14, 11:32

It's Big Sky Country. Why is it not surprising that Montana's only marketing point is that they have a sky?

"We have ground, too. With rocks and everything!"

It's like how Utah's old slogan was just, Utah! Like, there's nothing else that can possibly be said.

(I made that joke before, and then a very offended Utahn informed me that Utah's slogan is now Life. Elevated., or some other bullshit. So nobody get offended. I know Utah now has a hipper new slogan, with words! )

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-14, 11:44

Utah's slogan should be something about Mormon underwear.

Montana is awesome in the western half of the state, but the eastern half is pure boredom.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-22, 16:43

Quote:
*calls Brad*

Miyamoto teases 3DS edition of LttP

It sounds like he's talking about a depth-added port, like the other "3D Classics" that will be available in the Nintendo eShop. But given the significance of the title and the anniversary of the franchise, I wouldn't be surprised to see any handheld Zelda ports released in a retail box set first.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-22, 17:30

Optimism slightly improved. Slightly.

All I can say is that if this happens, it better as hell be an actual proper remake, not a crappy rerelease like Wii's Super Mario All-Stars, or there will be blood.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-22, 17:36

Also, appropriate image in the comments:

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-22, 20:37

Quote:
Also, appropriate image in the comments:

Quote:
All I can say is that if this happens, it better as hell be an actual proper remake, not a crappy rerelease like Wii's Super Mario All-Stars, or there will be blood.
I'd prepare for disappointment, on that one. I don't think we're going to see full remakes of any of Nintendo's NES, SNES, or Game Boy games anytime soon, except maybe Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire in a few years.

A collection of all seven 2D Zeldas would still be pretty rad, though. In fact, it'd probably be too rad for Nintendo. They'll break it up into two three-game sets, and Minish Cap will be nowhere to be found.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-22, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

I'd prepare for disappointment, on that one. I don't think we're going to see full remakes of any of Nintendo's NES, SNES, or Game Boy games anytime soon, except maybe Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire in a few years.

A collection of all seven 2D Zeldas would still be pretty rad, though. In fact, it'd probably be too rad for Nintendo. They'll break it up into two three-game sets, and Minish Cap will be nowhere to be found.
This. Gonna guess that's the case, unfortunately.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-25, 10:39

title screen video

man oh man oh man
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-25, 18:25

Want. Badly. Is it June 19th yet?????
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-25, 19:18

omg check out those pixels! Those graphics would've been super rad on consoles ten years ago!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-05-25, 23:54

Australian OoT pre-orders come with a fucking ocarina.

Nintendo of America, you're officially on notice.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-17, 20:54

Well, we never did get that ocarina. But the game's pretty good.

Anyone planning on picking up a 3DS now that it has, you know, a game?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-06-17, 20:55

Still getting mine Sunday.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-06-19, 17:10

If anyone else is thinking about picking up a 3DS now that OoT is out, it comes with a free $25 gift card at Target this week. It's like cheap pants.

Also, anyone buying OoT at Target gets 50% off on any other 3DS game, even if they've already purchased the system.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-06-22, 22:49

So, I'm getting the early registration gift - the FULL redone soundtrack, as the audio is vastly improved. I'll take it as a "pre-order".