User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Software Update: Did Apple just fix a long-standing bug?!?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Software Update: Did Apple just fix a long-standing bug?!?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-13, 05:15

MacRumors seed notes for 10.5.1/9b16:
Quote:
[The release] lists only a few updates since the previous build. These include updating applications even if moved out of /Applications
If they mean what I think they do… woot!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-11-13, 10:13

Wasn't this mentioned in another thread a couple of days ago? Good if it is sorted in any case.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-11-13, 10:38

How could this be considered a bug?

Seems to me that it's perfectly expected for an application to break (if only in sense of keeping it in update) once you move it out of Application folder. Same is true for any files in a library folder or system folder, no?
Shades of Blue

2007-11-13, 10:41

It also breaks if you organize your Applications folder into subfolders. That, to me, is the bug.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-11-13, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post

Seems to me that it's perfectly expected for an application to break (if only in sense of keeping it in update) once you move it out of Application folder. Same is true for any files in a library folder or system folder, no?
Yer new around here, ain't ya?

MacOS 9 let you move applications anywhere you wanted, and it found them just fine for updating. This restriction of putting everything in /Applications was seen as a huge step backwards. And it was. It's a silly limitation.

OTOH, I use it to my advantage... I have /Users/Shared/Applications that contains all of the apps *I* installed. A link to it is /Applications/UserApplications. Now, except for that link, /Applications is pristine from Apple - which means I don't have to back the damned thing up if space is tight.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-13, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Wasn't this mentioned in another thread a couple of days ago? Good if it is sorted in any case.
You sure? I haven't heard of this, and it sounds like it's new in this build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
How couldn't it!

Quote:
Yes, but you hardly have any need for organizing stuff in those. You don't really manually add stuff there anyway. You do, however, in Applications.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-11-13, 11:03

I'm glad they fixed this because I used to want to sort my applications into subfolders, but I had to go with a really cumbersome system involving aliases. Now with Stacks, you're practically REQUIRED to sort your applications into subfolders, as the new "feature" of Stacks will only allow you to see a limited number of items in your Applications folder, without any way of scrolling through them short of the "Reveal in Finder" button.

I'm going to try this again now. Should be useful. I'm glad they FINALLY fixed this. It had been so long I didn't even remember; only Stacks made me think about it again.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-13, 11:44

What sorts of situations would you want your applications to be somewhere other than the Applications folder? Is it a true bug, or is it more a case of people just not wanting to feel "constricted", or unable to put things wherever you want? I know how us Mac types can be such "go against the grain" rebels, and not want to be told where to put stuff or how to do something.

And what about the sub-folders in the Applications folder? To group apps from particular companies (all the Adobe stuff together, all the Panic apps together, etc.)? Or to group certain types of apps together (graphics, scientific, business, media, etc.)?

It's never really bothered me that my applications were in the Applications folder. That's kinda where I'd expect, and want, them to be. Where else are you wanting to put your apps, if not in the Applications folder? No, I'm not "new around here". Just genuinely curious...it's never occurred to me to want to put them somewhere else.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-11-13 at 11:55.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-11-13, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Where else are you wanting to put your apps, if not in the Applications folder?
The apps I download I put in ~/bin
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-11-13, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
And what about the sub-folders in the Applications folder? To group apps from particular companies or something (all the Adobe stuff together)? Or to group certain types of apps together?
That's what I'd prefer to do. Put office-type apps in one subfolder, multimedia in another, internet in yet another, etc. I do it that way on a Windows computer instead of using default paths and haven't run into problems (granted that I don't use Windows much), and I'd like to do the same hassle-free on a Mac.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-11-13, 11:57

pscates, normally I want all my applications to be in the base level of my applications folder. However, Stacks changed that so that when you click on that folder in the dock, it only shows a limited number of applications instead of the scrolling list of previous OS versions. So now, I can immediately launch anything up to and including Microsoft Office, but anything that begins with an N or later in the alphabet is hidden. Pretty stupid.

Now, if Apple had done virtual stacks; that is, stacks that you can customize however you want like the dock without having to actually move files around on your hard drive, everything would be fine. But they didn't. Instead, stacks are just a new (and I would say less useful) method of displaying folders in the dock. If you want application subfolders, you have to make them in your applications folder and organize everything into them.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-11-13, 11:57

I see, Capella. Cool. Okay, I understand that one (subfolders)...

I used to do that with my Dock (gotta watch those vowels). I had a little folder for Apps, Utilities, Web, etc. But about a year ago I just dragged the entire Applications folder to my dock, figuring that was just as quick for me.

Luca, that sounds like a pretty boneheaded limitation, that they'd limit the number of items like that.

Weird. Seems to go against the whole idea of having Stacks (to easily show/hide everything in a particular folder). That strikes me as more of a bug or something to be irked about than the other thing.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-11-13, 12:18

Yeah... Stacks is limited by screen space, so if you have a small laptop screen (like me), you can only see 40 or so items in grid view, and less than 10 in fan view. I have over 80 things in my apps folder, though. And instead of having a little scrollbar, like it should (they could even do a smooth-scrolling animation for it, make it look real slick), they just put a button there saying "X more in Finder." Click that and it opens the folder.

So yes, it's definitely a step back. Previous versions used a menu, just like a menu bar, and you could even navigate into folders. The only advantage stacks has (other than a pretty interface) is the fact that you can drag and drop to and from it.
Reid

2007-11-13, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Now, if Apple had done virtual stacks; that is, stacks that you can customize however you want like the dock without having to actually move files around on your hard drive, everything would be fine. But they didn't. Instead, stacks are just a new (and I would say less useful) method of displaying folders in the dock. If you want application subfolders, you have to make them in your applications folder and organize everything into them.
I fully agree. Stacks make very little sense in their current implementation. I have a feeling the original idea was for them to be "virtual" as you described, but they ran into some sort of limitation that they couldn't get past. Or maybe they tested with users and discovered that most people couldn't grasp the concept of a stack as originally intended. Regardless, it's a feature I've been interested in since first reading about "piles" years ago, and it's too bad they came out with such a backpedaling version of it in the final release. It really is less useful than just a simple pop-up menu.
Shades of Blue

2007-11-19, 07:49

So does anybody know if 10.5.1 actually solved this problem? I'm wondering whether I can finally organize my Applications folder into subfolders.