AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

DIY Room Furnishing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
DIY Room Furnishing
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-09-03, 18:50

I want to make myself a new bed, because I haven't been able to find a frame for my twin that I like. I want to go simple, but I am not even really sure where to get the wood or how to do some of the type of cuts I want to do. If this goes well, I think I will try and make myself a desk too, because any desks that I think look ok are cheaply build and not very sturdy. But that is really not the point of this thread at this point. I am mostly concerned with my bed right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what type of wood to use? I'd like something with a fine grain (for aesthetic reasons), that is light so I can stain it to the two colors I want to use, and a cheap as possible. Can you pick up different woods like this at lumber yards? I've only ever really seen and bought wood for building things like picnic tables or decks.

Now seeing as I'd like to do this as simply as possible, I don't want to have too many fasteners, and I want them to be hidden. Does anyone know how you'd cut out a rectangular prism shape? I tried to mock up what I was looking for in the picture below. It's supposed to be a piece of wood with a shape like this cut out from the corner.

Keep in mind that I need something like that out out with fairly accurate precision so that it will be a very tight fit. Does this sound like something I can do?
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-09-03, 18:58

Pine for the wood, cut the notch with a wood chisel. Work slowly, use sharp tools, and remember you can't uncut what you cut.

You can get furniture quality wood at Lowes or Home Depot.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-09-03, 20:18

I did this recently with nice results. My goal was to make a bed-frame that was minimalistic but had plenty of surface area for books and alarm-clocks.

I basically built it in two pieces, all out of 3/4" MDF. The head of the bed was the part with the two shelves, which acted as a support for the second piece, which was the bed plank thing (the big flat part where the mattress sits) with the second set of legs. The flat plank is 1.5" thick. I made it so the two pieces can be disassembled by unscrewing 3 bolts. You could easily simplify this design, substituting the metal legs for wood or something. MDF gets pretty heavy so you may be better off with something less dense. MDF does have great weight capacity and is dead straight, so it is really easy to work with and cut. Just wear a mask when you are doing major cutting.

If you do something like this get a mattress pad or something. I haven't missed my box-spring, but I am not that heavy. Maybe try sleeping only on the mattress for a few days before deciding.

Good luck!
¡Damned!

2007-09-03, 20:28

I'd suggest using poplar instead of pine, especially if you're planning on chiseling. Pine is generally too soft to get a nice clean chisel, whereas poplar is much harder and stronger. It's not that much more expensive than pine either, for example Lowes has a 1x6x12 for $27 and the Douglas Fir is $19. I think you'll prefer the way poplar stains as well, and it's more knot-free than pine.

As for your diagram, may I ask what it's for? I'm assuming it's a leg, but I want to be sure.

So it goes.
ast3r3x

2007-09-03, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Pine for the wood, cut the notch with a wood chisel. Work slowly, use sharp tools, and remember you can't uncut what you cut.

You can get furniture quality wood at Lowes or Home Depot.
Thanks, I'll have to try and drop by sometime this week and take a look. I guess I'll also have to buy a few chisels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
If you do something like this get a mattress pad or something. I haven't missed my box-spring, but I am not that heavy. Maybe try sleeping only on the mattress for a few days before deciding.
That looks really good! I hope mine turns out as well as that. I do think I'm going to have it deep enough so I can have my box spring hidden and only my mattress showing though. I was thinking about doing a horizontal lined stain alternating between a light and slightly darker color. I THINK this will look good, but I am really not sure and will have to try and photoshop it before actually staining it. I like the side stands you have on yours, I wanted to do something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'd suggest using poplar instead of pine, especially if you're planning on chiseling. Pine is generally too soft to get a nice clean chisel, whereas poplar is much harder and stronger. It's not that much more expensive than pine either, for example Lowes has a 1x6x12 for $27 and the Douglas Fir is $19. I think you'll prefer the way poplar stains as well, and it's more knot-free than pine.

As for your diagram, may I ask what it's for? I'm assuming it's a leg, but I want to be sure.
Thanks, I'll look into using popler. I had originally thought pine but wasn't sure if that was too soft or not until it was recommended. I'll have to just see what makes the most sense, although a clean chisel is going to be really important I think.

Yes, that cutout is going to be for the legs/ends. I want the rails to fit snugly into them so that it's just a smooth almost uniform look. I am also trying to figure out how I want to do it, but I want to have the legs hidden so the bed looks like it's hovering off of the ground without having to worry about it tilting if I put my weight on the very edge of the bed.

Edit: If/when I get started I'll be sure to take some pictures along the way so that you can see my progress and success or failure If it turns out well, I might even consider incorporating some glass work for the shelves beside my bed.
¡Damned!

2007-09-03, 21:22

Chiseling can be a bitch, especially if you've never done it before and want something super clean. I'd suggest making the legs out of 2 boards and gluing them together. With some edge sanding and stain no one will ever know, and the notch could be cut easily and precisely with nothing more than a jig saw and a piece of wood (and clamps) for a guide. Something like this:

So it goes.
ast3r3x

2007-09-03, 21:28

Thanks for the alternate method for making those notches. It'll be nice to have a back up in case my practice chiseling doesn't go well

Does anyone know a simple modeling program I can use to try and mock this up? Maybe a simple architecture program?
¡Damned!

2007-09-03, 21:30

SketchUp. Super easy and intuitive (and free!).
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-09-04, 00:36

If you are into building your own, pick a wood that is easy to use. and then get a iron on laminate. This will give you the trendy, but more functional Ikea look. check home depot, they should be able to assist you
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-04, 00:49

And you might be able to do a lot with hidden hardware/fasteners (brackets, connectors and whatnot), saving you the trouble of carving/shaping wood. There's an entire aisle at Home Depot and Lowe's devoted to various items meant to connect to two pieces of wood in all sorts of ways. If you did it all with the hardware on the inside, hidden from view, it could look just as clean and neat as anything...and probably about 1/4 the labor and grief.

Then it just becomes a stain (or laminating) job, and less of a precision woodworking/shaping project (unless, of course, you're seeking a woodworking/shaping project...in which case, be sure to read, understand and follow all the instructions that come with your power tools. Using your tools properly will decrease the risk of personal injury. And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear safety glasses).

Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-09-04, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
in which case, be sure to read, understand and follow all the instructions that come with your power tools. Using your tools properly will decrease the risk of personal injury. And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear safety glasses).
Someone should really tell my family that. I think every power-tool that we own has had the safety removed in some way. a few summers ago my grandfather impaled himself with a saw, really. he is okay, thank god, but we all still dont learn. i think it is something in our genetics!
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-09-04, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
And you might be able to do a lot with hidden hardware/fasteners (brackets, connectors and whatnot), saThere's an entire aisle at Home Depot and Lowe's devoted to various items meant to connect to two pieces of wood in all sorts of ways.
Kreg fasteners FTW!

http://www.kregtool.com/

If I had only one tool to use to fasten wood together, I would use a Kreg tool. Well, don't take away my glue and clamps or anything...
ast3r3x

2007-09-09, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Chiseling can be a bitch, especially if you've never done it before and want something super clean. I'd suggest making the legs out of 2 boards and gluing them together. With some edge sanding and stain no one will ever know, and the notch could be cut easily and precisely with nothing more than a jig saw and a piece of wood (and clamps) for a guide.
If I put two pieces of wood together like that, are they going to be as strong? I am just worried that if I do that and I have a lot of wait on where they are joined together that it will want to separate along that edge. Is that a concern or is it going to be just as strong as if it was originally one piece. I ask because there are a couple pieces of wood that I'd like to be 3" thick, and the thickest I saw of around the sizes I wanted was 1", a few pieces were 2".

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2007-09-09 at 08:21.
digitalprimate

2007-09-09, 08:51

I admire your spirit to go about it yourself. Yesterday, I really struggled to get a MALM bed from Ikea properly constructed (it was the penultimate step that took far too long). Mine has an oak finish and is simply marvellous!

By the way, if you use MDF, you should ALWAYS give it a sealed finish, since it leaks chemical fumes into your living space. So especially if you want to use it for a bed, make sure the MDF is not sitting naked in your bedroom.
ast3r3x

2007-09-09, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalprimate View Post
I admire your spirit to go about it yourself. Yesterday, I really struggled to get a MALM bed from Ikea properly constructed (it was the penultimate step that took far too long). Mine has an oak finish and is simply marvellous!

By the way, if you use MDF, you should ALWAYS give it a sealed finish, since it leaks chemical fumes into your living space. So especially if you want to use it for a bed, make sure the MDF is not sitting naked in your bedroom.
Actually, I originally was going to make my bed like the MALM since they didn't offer it in a twin size. However I've since got a few other ideas now that I'm putting together.

Thanks for the heads up on MDF, although I don't think I'm going to be using that. I am aiming at using real wood right now since I think it'll be nicer in the end to stain instead of using veneer.
digitalprimate

2007-09-09, 11:30

Twin size, what is that?

These are the options that I know of.

90 cm width, that's one person
120 cm width, which we call in dutch "twijfelaar" or "doubter"
140 cm width, I think is the normal size two person bed (mine's this size).
180 cm width, I think is Queen size
I think they've got one in 200 cm width (and 220 cm long) known as the King size.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post
Actually, I originally was going to make my bed like the MALM since they didn't offer it in a twin size.
They DO have a twin-size MALM version, but I guess if you've had other ideas since then, I think this could turn out to be a very fun project.

Last edited by digitalprimate : 2007-09-09 at 11:42.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-09-09, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post
If I put two pieces of wood together like that, are they going to be as strong? I am just worried that if I do that and I have a lot of wait on where they are joined together that it will want to separate along that edge. Is that a concern or is it going to be just as strong as if it was originally one piece. I ask because there are a couple pieces of wood that I'd like to be 3" thick, and the thickest I saw of around the sizes I wanted was 1", a few pieces were 2".
With a good surface prep and enough area, a glue joint will be stronger than the wood it joins. With the suggestion shown, it will be stronger than chiseling a notch. If you countersink a good sized metal plate and sandwich it between the two pieces, it'll be MUCH stronger than a single board (IF I understand correctly how you'll be using it).

Surface prep is the key to a good glue joint.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-09, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalprimate View Post
Twin size, what is that?

These are the options that I know of.

90 cm width, that's one person
120 cm width, which we call in dutch "twijfelaar" or "doubter"
140 cm width, I think is the normal size two person bed (mine's this size).
180 cm width, I think is Queen size
I think they've got one in 200 cm width (and 220 cm long) known as the King size.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_%28...Standard_sizes

A US "twin" is apparently slightly wider than a Euro "single." Go figure.