MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova Minecraft server upgrades & maintenance
Page 11 of 21 First Previous 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-11-16, 20:55

Looks like my house lost the internet connection when you guys noticed. I just got home and am troubleshooting it now. Mrs T just doesn’t mess with this kinda thing so you guys were stuck waiting. I’ll post more once I have it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-11-16, 21:25

Verizon says my ONT isn’t responding at all. They are going to send a tech out in the morning.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-11-17, 08:23

Having no internet connection while working from home sucks. Sure I'm using my phone as a hotspot, but that burns metered data. At least I got a call form the tech that he should be here in the next 15 minutes or so.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-11-17, 09:11

It isn't my gear, it's the signal to the ONT. Looks like someone damaged the line leading to my home somewhere. The tech is tracing the line out to find the fault.

¡Damned!

2017-11-17, 09:22

Sabotage!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-11-17, 11:45

hehehe

We are back up now. There are fiber lines laying across my driveway, but we are back up.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-01-04, 13:15

Looks like the Bomb Cyclone took out power long enough for the VM host machine to reboot. Sadly the VM lost it's IP and port forwarding wasn't working because of it. Now we are back up. Please let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary on the machine. I haven't had time to check yet, just get it running again.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2018-01-04, 23:34

You will rebuild.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-03-11, 18:10

Going to shutdown the server for a few while moving to a new and larger UPS for the host machine.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-04-09, 20:27

Very carefully since I haven't done this on Turtle's hardware in quite a while, I'm about to do a little dance to swap the vanilla MC server with Forge to see if we can do this biome changing thing for Ken.

Hold onto your butts…

edit: Fifteen nail-biting minutes later and I figure out that I'm a big dummy for missing a file, and I finally get things started up again.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-04-09, 21:22

Should this be safe for maps or should I pause the maps for now?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-04-09, 21:26

Also, I didn't snapshot the server anytime recently so we would just have to resort to backups. No big deal if something goes wrong, I have them as far back a 6 months I think.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-04-13, 18:02

Whoops! Sorry I missed your message.

I'm pretty sure that everything should be safe to continue as-is. If you take a look, you'll see I've followed our established pattern of creating a new "local version" folder with the jars and settings and shifting some symlinks around.

I've experimented with Forge off and on locally for a while, and it seems to be pretty darn stable right now. Of course this all goes out the window for some time following an official Minecraft server update, but we can gladly switch back to the real deal by then.

Since we're not using anything that adds or changes blocks or items, maps should be totally fine and should be none the wiser about the change.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-04-17, 07:49

So we lost power at my house last night from about 11PM until 5:30AM. Server is now back up if you were trying to play during that window.

I have not been able to log into the server to verify all is well yet so please let me know if you find an issue once you get in. The battery held for about an hour, but all night was too much.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-02, 21:33

While this isn't going to be a server issue it will effect the server. Tomorrow my breaker panel is going to be replaced. This is going to cause a total loss of power as you might imagine. Should only be during daytime hours tomorrow, but the server will be down during that time.

I'll post when we are back up.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-03, 07:24

Shutting down the MC server now. I'll post once it is back up and stable.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-04, 07:54

It was late last night before I was comfortable with power and internet being stable. Everything should be good here out. My electrician has more work to do, but the panel upgrade has been completed.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-09, 07:47

Close to 8:15 this morning the drive in the server filled. Trying to get in there to free some space and figure out what happened. Server is going to be down until this happens.

I'm stuck in emergency mode on the VM running our maps trying to figure out how I can free some space to get back into normal shell. Sad thing is I have to work too so this isn't going to get all the attention it needs right away. Anyway, I'll see what I can make happen and post here once it's back up. Worst case scenario is a restore back to a known good snapshot taken May 3rd. Of course, that means total loss of everything that has changed since then.

Last edited by turtle : 2018-05-09 at 08:02.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-09, 08:13

So on a hunch I changed the VMs RAM down to 2GB from 4GB. This actually got me out of emergency mode and the VM booted again. The drive isn't full though ESXi said the drive was. Now I'm going to be looking into the ESXi drive.

The game server is up right now, though it is limited to 2GB still.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-09, 08:19

Seems I over-provisioned storage on the ESXi host and filled the SSD that's hosting our server VM.We have long outgrown the SSD everyone chipped in for so I've moved us up to a larger one (160GB) but am running other machines on it too. Anyway, playing Tetris with storage now then I'll reboot with 4GB again.

Edit: reboot has happened and VM running on 4GB of RAM again. Play Away!

Last edited by turtle : 2018-05-09 at 08:36.
¡Damned!

2018-05-22, 08:39

Server down, maybe? The MC login servers have been acting up this morning so it might just be that. No breakfast block-busting today!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-22, 11:01

Yeah, looks to be down. Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, work has been attention-grabbing.

Give me about 20-30 more minutes to get this resolved.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-22, 12:48

Back up. My volume on the ESXi host filled again. I'm going to have to buy a bigger SSD again. It is working now though with breathing room. I had left a snapshot in place and that nearly doubled data consumption.

¡Damned!

2018-05-22, 20:47

Thanks T! Just out of curiosity, how big is our current world?

We're coming up on another round of The Great Trimming with 1.13, so, things should get a little more stable. The last world was huge, but this world seems to have everything within 8K or so.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-05-23, 09:04

Currently the "world" folder is 4.3GB... which is pretty big.

It will be interesting to see how it trims up too. Of course with the trim everyone will be happily running to see all the new areas and such. Especially if we use a new seed again.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-05-23, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
… everyone …
Where by "everyone" he means "709".

¡Damned!

2018-05-23, 18:25

I loves me my wings.

I hope we keep the same seed after the trim. All biomes are close, it places CC between two giant oceans (especially good for 1.13) and since we pretty much know where everything is now it'll cut down on explore paths. Plus the current maps shouldn't go poof.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-08-17, 16:56

Ist der Server schlecht?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-08-17, 17:49

Yes, it is down. I was out running errands and got some alerts on my phone. Thought nothing of them until I got to my neighborhood and there were power company trucks... and no lights. I got home and there were no lights. So I'm sure in the not to distant future I'll have power again.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-08-17, 18:13

What? My cute, little Avatar could be starving to death!