Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Using a Palm as an SD card reader

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Using a Palm as an SD card reader
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-08, 19:29

I've had a Palm Tungsten E for about a week now, and I've been learning how to set things up. Just today I got a 256 MB SD card for storing MP3s. But I'm having problems transferring them. They take WAY too long when using the standard HotSync Manager - I let it sit for ten minutes, and only about 2/3 of one song transferred. It shouldn't take longer than a minute to transfer an average MP3 over a USB connection. I downloaded Real Player for my Palm and it said that I had to directly access the SD card to put files on it. My Palm doesn't show up as a USB mass storage device, and I couldn't find any applications to allow it to show up in that way. I want to avoid buying an SD card reader if possible - I mean, I already have my handheld with an SD slot and a USB port, why can't I just move them over?

I'm going to try giving it a huge amount of time, way more than is really needed. After letting it transfer for a long time, I was able to read part of the song, but it cut out after a certain amount of time. So I know it's putting the MP3s in the right place, it's just taking forever to do so. If anyone has a suggestion for how to move these files over faster, or if there's an application that will let me directly edit the contents of the SD card instead of having to go through Palm's software, I'd really appreciate it.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-09-08, 19:37

Buy The Missing Sync version 4.0 from Markspace. It's a totally re-written HotSync manager that is WAY better than Palm's. It's a shit ton faster too, and provides wireless sync capabilities as well. Missing Sync will also make your SD card show up on the desktop. Really, just go check it out: http://www.markspace.com/

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
HOM
The Elder™

2004-09-09, 08:39

Softick's Card Export II will do just that for less than the Missing Sync.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-09-09, 09:22

It's, uh, not Mac compatible. Yet. They say it's under development but that could mean two weeks or two years for all I know.