New TV...1080 or 4K

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New TV...1080 or 4K
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-01-21, 22:56

The feet are typically plastic, and there isn't much to them, so drilling is out. Guess it really depends on the type of stand it comes with. I used to use the original stand for my TV, had it on a DYI bookshelf I made in high school, it was just deep enough for the stand with no room to spare, on soft carpet. It was fine, but I don't have pets, so I cannot say if these modern stands would hold up against that.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-21, 23:23

Even a little 1” “U” bracket would probably do just to hold the legs in place. I’ve got enough crap in the junk drawer/box. I’d be afraid to drill into plastic I guess.

Maybe it’s heavier/more stable than I think, but I think I’d feel better if it was secured. We don’t really get earthquakes here, but I know the day after I get this we’ll get a 5.8 right through Nashville/Chattanooga.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-21, 23:59

Always Over-spec.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-22, 00:29

What do you mean?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-22, 01:28

I mean that I generally pop for the next level of what I need "right now" because the "next level up" features almost always pay off in the long run. Specifically, with my laptops I get a higher end graphics card and max out the memory, which initially seems wildly frivolous but withstands a raft of OS updates and unexpected demands from software.

This makes sense when you're spending thousands of dollars, less so when you're spending less than $600 – but the general idea still applies.

Thirty bucks for 4K? I would do it.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-22, 06:24

Oh, definitely. That was the primary focus of this thread, and I’ve decided on the 4K based on suggestions and recommendations given here.

For the same price ($228), I can get a 40” 4K or a 43” 1080 (43” 4K is $278 and that’s just way closer to the $300 side of things than the ~$200 I was wanting to stick around). And with the space/placement factors discussed upthread, it was pretty much always going to be a 40”.

In fact, I was at the store yesterday, where four boxed 40” 1080 models for $196 were sitting right there. I could’ve easily picked one up and had it up and going for last night’s Jeopardy, The Chase, etc. but I just felt that was “settling” and maybe going a bit “bare bones” and I simply wasn’t feeling it in my gut. Even though it was a step up from what I’ve got, I thought going with the 4K might be the better choice for “down the road, 2-5 years from now” reasons.

There were other 40” 4K models present (HiSense, TC), but I wasn’t familiar with those brands and neither blatantly showed or made clear (via packaging or their on-screen, looped demos) that Disney+ was one of the built-in services. Which, when it comes down to it, is 90% of the reason I’m even getting this thing

This is primarily gonna be my Andor/Boba Fett/Kenobi/Ahsoka Tano/Mandalorian/Rangers of the New Republic watching machine, once all those things start to arrive, beginning later this year. The packaging, online spec listing and Mom’s two models all make it clear that Disney+ is already onboard and part of this brand/model.

I’m happy with the picture quality on hers, the online reviews are excellent/positive and, silly as it sounds, I’m already familiar with the remote and navigation/workings of Vizio because of the time I’ve spent using hers these past 1-2 years It’ll all be instantly familiar.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-22, 11:34

If you're worried about the kitty tipping things over, there are lots of anti-tip security devices available for console mounted TVs. Some depend on the TV being placed near a wall, and some work by securing the TV to the cabinet itself. I don't recall if you mentioned whether the console is place against a wall or in the middle of a space, but there are plenty of cheapish options to get the job done, you could probably come up with an every bit as good solution with a careful look through the hardware store. Cats are inquisitive. I think you can get a good deal of security by making sure you neatly route an affix any wires they'd be tempted to tangle up with. A cable wrap and some zip ties should do the trick there, or velcro cable wraps. Looking at the typical splayed pair of feet (four contact points) on the vizio stand, one easy solution might be to drill a couple of small pilot holes into the console top to either side of one or two of the feet, and then loop a heavy duty zip tie through from the bottom and cinch it down tight.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-01-22, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Always Over-spec.
This is how I get 6-8 years out of MacBook Pros. XD

"God, that's expensive, and I'm never going to really need X, Y, or Z..."

(Kickaha ages ungracefully)

"Good lord, X, Y and Z are *completely* inadequate for my needs, better upgrade... God, that's expensive, and I'm never going to need X', Y' or Z'..."

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-22, 11:43

I must have missed this, is wall mounting not an option in your place? There are TV mounts for $20 that would easily prevent tipping and provide all the hardware. You could hide cords and stuff if you want but basic mounts are cheap now.

Alternately, you could used the VESA mount screw holes to strap the high side to the wall with a short strap, and couple of screws.

Edit: Found this one for $12!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-22, 12:51

Thanks for all the advice/input. It's all been read and taken into account.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-22, 16:02

Can we close this case??

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-22, 16:34

This be Paul's thread. If he's satisfied, it can be closed. Otherwise, it remains until the cows come home!

Whenever that is.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-22, 16:39

Sure. It was all decided a couple of days ago. It's just finding one and the shipping, etc. and figuring out a good way to secure it to the platform.

I figure four of these, spray-painted black(?), and anchoring each little "foot" of the two-piece stand would secure it to the platform? The guts seem to be low-centered and the legs are just over 8" front, to back, so it would probably take some effort/doing to topple the thing to begin with. So I shouldn't need anything excessive or elaborate or true earthquake-proof. Just nudged-by-a-curious-kitty-proof. Four of the above over each foot kinda locks it down and in...it couldn't fall frontwards or backwards with four of them, I wouldn't think. And if I took the extra 25 seconds to shoot them with a bit of black, I don't think they'd be all that noticeable.

PS - Close it or just let it stand for any additional info/updates, regrets, second-guessing, etc. I don't care. Barring a meteor strike or getting hit by a bus, I kinda know what I'm after now.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-22, 17:03

Same idea as the zip ties. Which also come in black. No painting required.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-22, 17:37

At Paul's request, this bad boy is closed. Thank you all for helping him figure out his thing, whatever it was. Should it need to be reopened in the future, PM me and we can make that happen.

This thread has been closed for your convenience!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)