User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-30, 02:25

In that I have decided to wait another year to upgrade, I am not now collecting the current crop of iPhone 13 rumors here.

- top end memory goes to 1TB
- new Apple modem
- 120Hz refresh rate for screen
- fingerprint reader returns
- portless device

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-30, 10:39

- A15 will read your thoughts …

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-10-30 at 11:06.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-10-30, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
In that I have decided to wait another year to upgrade, I am not now collecting the current crop of iPhone 13 rumors here.

- top end memory goes to 1TB
- new Apple modem
- 120Hz refresh rate for screen
- fingerprint reader returns
- portless device

Think that is it.
¡Damned!

2020-10-30, 17:40

There was some bit about the notch being smaller, but that's been a rumor every year since the X.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-30, 17:47

I've gotten so used to the notch that I don't eve care anymore.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-30, 19:07

I could not care one bit less about a notch. That is an industry-driven non-story kept alive by a bunch of prolls who have nothing, and I mean NOTHING, better to talk about.

That memory, and the promise of a fingerprint reader have captivated my attention.

GREY I AM NOT CALLING YOU OUT.

¡Damned!

2020-10-30, 21:33

WELL YOU SHOULD BECAUSE MOST OF THE TIME I AM FULL OF SHIT.

That said, I was a bit miffed that the iPad Air got that nifty fingerprint reader and the iPhone didn't. Sure, maybe space issues yada yada, but still. Would've been perfect to have both options.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-30, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
WELL YOU SHOULD BECAUSE MOST OF THE TIME I AM FULL OF SHIT.

I’m just wondering if I can limp by with my 7 Plus for one more year. Because these 13 rumors describe my wants.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-10-31, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
There was some bit about the notch being smaller, but that's been a rumor every year since the X.
It comes down to how much they can shrink the sensor array. And, if they can, how much they don't want to add further sensors. A front-facing LiDAR, say.

(OTOH, a good front-facing LiDAR might replace the need for the infrared camera, flood illuminator, proximity sensor, and dot projector!)

I don't understand what a smaller notch buys us, though. Either they make it that much smaller that it can just spread across the entire screen, bringing back a bezel, the way they did on the iPad Pro (but I don't think they want to do that, because the current notch is an iconic design). Or they… make it thinner and/or shorter, and… for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
an industry-driven non-story kept alive by a bunch of prolls who have nothing, and I mean NOTHING, better to talk about.
Yup. For the most part, I don't notice the notch at all. It looks a bit silly in landscape video, but that's about it.

Pundits gonna pundit.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-31, 09:44

New thought: will Apple get superstitious about the number 13 and change the way they refer to these devices? I've never considered how a company might approach naming and numbering conventions to accommodate cultural pitfalls.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-10-31, 10:41

Apple never worried about 13 with Mac OS or iOS, why worry about it with the phone name?

Of course the simple thing to do is switch to letters and drop the number all together. Each is simply followed by model year of introduction.

iPhone A & iPhone A+ (Replaces Pro & Max) 2021
iPhone B (Replaces the 12) 2021
iPhone M (Replaces 12 Mini) 2021
iPhone SE (continues with current name) 2021

Simple, and easy to remember, and having the model year attached makes it easy identify the generation.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-31, 12:54

They probably won't worry about it, but it probably IS a consideration. I know that in China certain numbers are associated with luck, and when you're trying to sell a widget every little thing counts.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-28, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Of course the simple thing to do is switch to letters and drop the number all together. Each is simply followed by model year of introduction.

iPhone A & iPhone A+ (Replaces Pro & Max) 2021
iPhone B (Replaces the 12) 2021
iPhone M (Replaces 12 Mini) 2021
iPhone SE (continues with current name) 2021

Simple, and easy to remember, and having the model year attached makes it easy identify the generation.
Why those letters at all, though?

The 2021 iPhone Pro / Pro Max
The 2021 iPhone
The 2021 iPhone mini
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-11-28, 14:48

While using the release year is cleaner, it introduces a marketing challenge... will it prompt consumers to be more or less apt to upgrade?

By attaching the year model to the product it reminds the user of the age of the machine for better or worse.

While I *feel* as if my iPhone 7 is 5 or 6 years old, in truth it's only 4 years old.

Knowing that it's still working at 4 years old (by having looked it up), I can decide to limp along for another year.

If it was just a number or a model name, reason is replaced with a dash more of desire.

chucker

2020-11-28, 15:35

Definitely, but that stops working at some point. We likely won't have an iPhone 23.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-11-29, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Why those letters at all, though?

The 2021 iPhone Pro / Pro Max
The 2021 iPhone
The 2021 iPhone mini
It's like marks on a test, A is best, etc. I just don't buy into the Pro/Max/Mini titles, but I suppose it works. It would be even better if Apple dropped the "iPhone" name altogether, and lines it up with the watch.

Apple Phone Max 2021
Apple Phone Pro 2021
Apple Phone 2021,
Apple Phone Mini 2021
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2020-11-29, 05:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben 1996 View Post
I am a fan of this firm. I look forward to every new product. Thanks to the designers and developers. https://order.studentshare.org/thesis-writing
I am hoping the new iPhone 13 is made from Toledo steel.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-29, 16:49

I sometimes like to imagine what Steve would think about the iPhone at this point.

Did he ever expect them to get this popular and change the landscape so much? He hinted at it on that 2007 introduction at MWSF, so I think he might've believed they were truly on to something. But he died in October 2011, the day before the 4s was unveiled. Which means he was never around for the taller 5 models and all that came after.

I'd love to know his thoughts on it all - all the new (and larger) sizes, the pricepoints (especially the $999+ stuff), the cameras they have, etc.

Would he have imagined the accessory and add-on markets, and the presence of these phones everywhere, including all throughout entertainment in a way even the Mac never fully enjoyed, and just everything they've come to represent?

It's a shame he wasn't around to experience that explosion for a few more years. It's a shame he's not around, period, but he got robbed on the iPhone/iPad thing, only getting four years and under two years, respectively, in a world where they existed. He missed the true explosion/growth/acceptance since 2012 and the 5/5s (that's when I started seeing them everywhere, even in the hands of people like my Dad and his old fart friends who spent years poo-poohing them and saying they'd "never own one".

Yeah, bullshit...they've owned nothing but, since.

Naming-wise, there's no telling what Steve would've pushed for. Honestly, I think he would've dug around and come up with some more cat names for the Mac. "We're not done yet...I've got this Cats of the World coffee table book. Let's see what we can find...".
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2020-11-30, 00:34

Steve walks onto the stage. "I'd like to introduce Mac OSX Aegean. Yes, it's named after a Greek cat bread, get over it, it's awesome." Following year, Mac OSX Kinkalow.
chucker

2020-11-30, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I sometimes like to imagine what Steve would think about the iPhone at this point.

Did he ever expect them to get this popular and change the landscape so much? He hinted at it on that 2007 introduction at MWSF, so I think he might've believed they were truly on to something. But he died in October 2011, the day before the 4s was unveiled. Which means he was never around for the taller 5 models and all that came after.
I don't think he knew it was going to be this massive.

We do know he wanted to prevent another Macintosh (you can see that in the same presentation, with the "and boy, have we patented it" line), where he launches a leapfrog product that ultimately doesn't become a major force.

Quote:
I'd love to know his thoughts on it all - all the new (and larger) sizes, the pricepoints (especially the $999+ stuff), the cameras they have, etc.
Good question. He may not be that happy with all those choices.

He might have veto'd the iPhone SE and Watch SE.

Quote:
Would he have imagined the accessory and add-on markets, and the presence of these phones everywhere, including all throughout entertainment in a way even the Mac never fully enjoyed, and just everything they've come to represent?
Well, he did see the proto version of that in the iPod. Remember having dock connector alarm clocks in hotel rooms?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-11-30, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
I am hoping the new iPhone 13 is made from Toledo steel.
Toledo steel has been banned by the Bad Steel Foundation of AppleNova™.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-22, 09:04

Latest rumors:

- smaller notch (who cares??)
- WiFi 6E

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-22, 09:11

Do people notice the notch, day to day? I don't own one of those full-screen models, and have never used one other than just a few minutes here and there on a store demo model, but I honestly didn't really even notice or focus on it. I suppose it isn't ideal, but it sure seems like something that isn't that big of a deal. Smaller? Great. But it would never keep me from buying one of those models (the price would, sure...but not the notch).
chucker

2020-12-22, 10:28

Quote:
Do people notice the notch, day to day?
Nope.

When in landscape to play a video, it's kind of weird how asymmetrical it is.

Other than that, I really don't notice at all.

It's weird how some are so hung up about it; in practice, it just doesn't seem to be an issue. To me, anyway.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-22, 10:42

That's the thing. I'm just conditioned, at this point, to whatever people, en masse, are squawking/whining/offended/outraged by (especially online/social media), to just automatically reduce it by about 78% of what they're trying to make it sound like. I've rarely been wrong in that approach.

The controversy du jour is rarely what many would want you to believe. And that's how this whole "notch" thing struck me, years ago when it first hit.

"This many people on Twitter and MacRumors comments whining/hysterical about something all of a sudden? I'm sure it's a life-altering crisis...". If nobody really brought it up, then I'd believe it was an actual issue.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-12-22, 13:28

THE NEW MODEMS are what have me excited about the 13.

As someone whose in home WiFi is abysmal, since my provider is so abysmal, I don't know when I'll be able to enjoy WiFi 6+ but it sure sounds swell.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-20, 21:17

Latest rumor is this phone might receive an S designation, as in 12s, instead of 13.

Should we change the thread title to 2021 iPhone?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-21, 11:58

Only if it turns out to be wrong.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-02-15, 18:22

Latest rumor:

Persistent displays.

Seems a short putt, based on the watches doing this now.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-02-15, 19:39

Samsung flagship phones have had always on displays for 4-5 years, nothing new. I don't get the point of the always on display anyway, just as waste of battery life.