Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Safari caching issue...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Safari caching issue...
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-01-21, 21:13

Hello, I am using Safari under jaguar on a Rev C iMac with 512MB of ram. Ok, I am poor and can't yet afford to update to Panther. I will, I just can't do it yet.

So on with the problem. On occasion Safari loads a cached page when it should be loading a new one. It is very random, and even if I dump the cache and continue surfing, I have to force the updated page. I have a cable modem and don't really need to cache anything. But I can't find any pref's for this.

A little more detail, earlier today I was on a non-mac related web site posting a reply to a friend and I noticed an error with my post (spelling) and went to edit, fix and resubmit. When I resubmitted the error was still there, I thought this odd and after three edits, I look at my wife's screen and noticed that the error was fixed (she was in the same thread). I had, after the second failure to fix the error, hit Empty Cache, and then tried the third time to edit with no success. Normally, if you make a post on a board, when you hit submit it will refresh the page to show the change. It wasn't until I hit the refresh button that the page refreshed. I am on this other site a lot and have edited many a posts (I suck at spelling) with out this issue ever coming up on that site. This issue has been totally random and has occurred on other sites including, um, this one.

Now I do know that some browsers have cache controls of sorts, but I have never seen them in Safari beyond "Empty". Is there something that I am missing? I have seen similar issues in Safari under Panther with a page failing to refresh at work. Any thoughts? Any insight? Did I provide enough information?

Thanks in advance OMF

Mile 1

Last edited by oldmacfan : 2005-01-21 at 21:16. Reason: space before a comma... Missing "the"
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-01-21, 21:17

Well, I just hit the edit button twice and it worked both times.