User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

"Plus this, plus that..." What do I really need?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Plus this, plus that..." What do I really need?
socreative

2006-07-09, 09:28

Okay, I'm pretty much sold on the iMac 20 inch core duo.

The salesman said, "And for $X you can add ProCare, and for $X you can add .mac, and for $X you can add an extended warrantee."

I understand the warrantee, and find it would probably be worthwhile. The ProCare package seems like a "nice to have" but not necessary.

.mac is what I'm really wondering about. It seems all the things they are trying to sell me with a .mac account I already have for FREE

For example:

email -- hotmail.com

blogs -- wordpress.com

photosharing -- kodakgallery.com

moviesharing -- jumpcut.com

macsyncing -- I have no need for this

ichat -- instant messenger (I never chat anyway)

backups -- I own an external USB drive that I currently back up to

.mac group -- groups.yahoo.com

Can someone explain to me why I would want to or should pay an annual fee for what is already free? There must be some good reason?

Thanks!

Jo-Anne
A PC User, Wanting Badly to go MAC
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-09, 09:40

ProCare is unnecessary for consumers, I think. It's good for businesses, but I don't think it's that necessary for individuals. AppleCare is very important, and I definitely recommend it.

.Mac is a personal choice. The nice thing about .Mac is the integration with iLife. Personally, I prefer to do my websites on my own, but for people who don't have the skills for that, .Mac is really nice. That's about the only advantage I see to it, personally.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-07-09, 09:54

Yep, .mac is mainly about integrating all the aspects together. You can do everything available with .mac for free, but Apple's aim is that you don't have to get 8 different programs to do it all.

Still, I'm not advocating .mac. It's nice to have from a convenience perspective, but is that convenience and integration worth the price tag? Only for those who don't see $99 as a lot of money, really.
socreative

2006-07-09, 09:57

Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
but is that convenience and integration worth the price tag?
Being new to Macs, do you think that I should purchase .mac for their online tutorials? I'm thinking I could learn just as much for free by stopping in at forums like this one?

Agree or disagree?

Jo-Anne
A PC User, Wanting Badly to go MAC
socreative

2006-07-09, 09:58

Thanks for your reply!
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-07-09, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by socreative
Being new to Macs, do you think that I should purchase .mac for their online tutorials? I'm thinking I could learn just as much for free by stopping in at forums like this one?

Agree or disagree?
It'd be cheaper to just get a couple of books on OSX and/or the iMac if you have no problem learning a new operating system and computer in that way. "The Missing Manual" series is a good one from what I've heard. Others can suggest more recent suitable titles; a search of these forums should bring up a few hits too.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-09, 10:06

If you're unsure about .mac see if there's a trial for it.. I am sure there was 30 day trial before...
socreative

2006-07-09, 10:08

Not a bad idea. Thanks!
socreative

2006-07-09, 10:09

Ludwig: Thanks for your honesty!
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-07-09, 11:54

You can edit you post by clicking "edit" instead of posting 2 replies next to each other.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-09, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Yep, .mac is mainly about integrating all the aspects together. You can do everything available with .mac for free, but Apple's aim is that you don't have to get 8 different programs to do it all.
Bingo.

Plus, no advertisements and you can use any client for your e-mail, not just hotmail.com's (et al) crippled web interface or Microsoft Entourage.

Also, reliability:
Quote:
I just checked this website and got a huge laugh when I saw this JSP exception on the opening home page.
Attached Images
File Type: png kodak.png (15.1 KB, 50 views)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-09, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
ProCare is unnecessary for consumers, I think. It's good for businesses, but I don't think it's that necessary for individuals. AppleCare is very important, and I definitely recommend it.

.Mac is a personal choice. The nice thing about .Mac is the integration with iLife. Personally, I prefer to do my websites on my own, but for people who don't have the skills for that, .Mac is really nice. That's about the only advantage I see to it, personally.

How is AppleCare very important? It is a proven fact that retailers like Apple profit anywhere from 50-95% on extended warranties. I'm not disputing that its not important, I am just wondering.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-07-09, 15:49

Well I for one got Applecare auto enroll because there was a deal at the shop I went to, get Applecare when you get your machine, and if you never have to use Applecare, the shop will give you the money back!
jondaapplegeek

Send a message via MSN to jondaapplegeek Send a message via Skype™ to jondaapplegeek 
2006-07-09, 15:52

Quote:
I was new to Macs about 10 months ago, I learnt from no books or magazines, but purely from this very forum. a) this forum is so helpful, b) OSX is so easy to use! But, if you feel the need for a book of some kind, check out the 'Missing Manual' series, had a look at one and they are very good. Heard people who have used them give them praise as well

Jon Hole
http://www.jonhole.co.uk
15" PowerBook G4 Combo, 1GB RAM
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-09, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
How is AppleCare very important? It is a proven fact that retailers like Apple profit anywhere from 50-95% on extended warranties. I'm not disputing that its not important, I am just wondering.
I would definitely want one on a laptop. But yes, for a desktop, it's more of a gravy than insurance, though.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-07-09, 16:42

I'll second (third?) the recommendation for the Missing Manual series. Whenever a friend buys a Mac, I buy them the Missing Manual. They're great books.

As for AppleCare: Many people recommend to get it on notebooks, but not on desktops. The iMac is somewhat unique, of course. It's not subject to the wear and tear of a notebook, but I'm sure it still costs more than a typical desktop to repair, because of it's closed design. I bought it for my iMac, but that's because I knew I wouldn't have my iMac for long and AppleCare boosts the resale value.

But the buyback guarantee sounds like a safe bet.

As for .mac, that's a personal choice. It's very nicely integrated into the whole Mac/iLife experience, and you do get a $30 discount if you buy it with a Mac. I'm still deciding whether or not I will buy it with my second Mac, a MacBook/Pro.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-09, 17:49

wait wait wait, if you never use AppleCare they give you your money back? That's incredible. That would sway me in the other direction.

I agree on the laptops and the need for AppleCare. Especially if you use it unplugged a lot. It sure would be nice to get a brand spanking new battery 2.5 years into use of the machine!! I don't have it on mine but thats because I follow the trends of the machines pretty well, and I always sell a pretty nice set-up for maybe 100 dollars less than a brand new one (when the next revision comes out a week later usually).
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-07-09, 18:15

Quote:
It sure would be nice to get a brand spanking new battery 2.5 years into use of the machine!!
The battery is considered a "consumable" and won't be replaced simply due to the normal degradation of capacity over years of use.
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-09, 19:36

Hmmm, thats odd. At best buy they even do that, atleast thats what we were trained to say.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-07-09, 20:23

From the AppleCare Protection Plan (PDF file):

Quote:
1. Repair Coverage...
b. Limitations.
The Plan does not cover: ...
(ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship...
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-09, 20:26

Interesting, at Best Buy we were informed to tell customers that an average battery ran about one hundred dollars, and they were designed to hold a charge for fifteen months. Interesting. I wonder if they were actually covered? I've found BB to be full of shit on many occasions.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-09, 21:19

I wonder if BB told you to say that to encourage/confuse people into thinking battery is under warranty but *only* if battery is broken to a poor workmanship, as you can see Applecare will cover battery under such circumstances.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-07-10, 02:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
wait wait wait, if you never use AppleCare they give you your money back? That's incredible. That would sway me in the other direction.

I agree on the laptops and the need for AppleCare. Especially if you use it unplugged a lot. It sure would be nice to get a brand spanking new battery 2.5 years into use of the machine!! I don't have it on mine but thats because I follow the trends of the machines pretty well, and I always sell a pretty nice set-up for maybe 100 dollars less than a brand new one (when the next revision comes out a week later usually).
The deal I got was not from Apple, but a local Mac only dealer, which I bought the machine from.... again NOT FROM APPLE.
Partial
Stallion

2006-07-10, 02:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
I wonder if BB told you to say that to encourage/confuse people into thinking battery is under warranty but *only* if battery is broken to a poor workmanship, as you can see Applecare will cover battery under such circumstances.

That's what I'm thinking. That's bullcrap. As fun of a job as that was, I always felt really bad having to sell machines based on a margin sheet versus needs and lie to consumers to make a sale. It is a great place to get started working as a teen, as they have great benefits, pays well, loads of hot girls, and is a ton of fun, but boy, is it ever an ethical struggle.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-10, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
It'd be cheaper to just get a couple of books on OSX and/or the iMac if you have no problem learning a new operating system and computer in that way. "The Missing Manual" series is a good one from what I've heard. Others can suggest more recent suitable titles; a search of these forums should bring up a few hits too.
I used to think that way (and had a lot of books - big ones - on various Adobe apps, the Mac OS, Macs in general, etc.), but stuff changes so fast...and these books are all so expensive, it seems. $29.95-$59.95 for many of them (go to Barnes & Noble or Borders and see for yourself). So you drop $100 or more and BOOM! 4-8 months later, there's a new OS, or a new version of this or that.

It finally dawned on me that I was spending a lot of money for very little usability and longterm use.

I'm much rather seek it out online...help, tutorials, how-to's, Q&A, specs, overviews, etc. I haven't bought a Mac/Adobe-oriented book in over five years. And recently I went through my old ones and tallied up how much money I've spent on them (and factored in how long they've been completely useless and dormant) and I nearly vomited.

As for .Mac, I've had it for about four years now (jumped on the pre-$99 version they used to have and loved it). But, then again, I'm a real believer in consolidation, streamlining and efficiency...it just goes completely against my grain to use 6-8 half-ass, differently designed/interfaced apps or solutions if there's something that does it all for my modest-intermediate needs in a really tight, integrated and easy package.

Plus, Brad mentioned the "ad free" aspect of it. I never realize I appreciate that so much until I'm sitting with a friend who is signing on to their Hotmail or Yahoo! accounts...jeez. Banner/pop-up city, this stuff! And frankly, they're a bit ugly and cluttered, and no fun to deal with. To me, it's almost worth the $99 a year to NOT see and wade through all that nonsense.

I gladly renew my .Mac every October, and can't foresee a time when I don't.

YMMV or whatever.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2006-07-10, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I used to think that way (and had a lot of books - big ones - on various Adobe apps, the Mac OS, Macs in general, etc.), but stuff changes so fast...and these books are all so expensive, it seems. $29.95-$59.95 for many of them (go to Barnes & Noble or Borders and see for yourself). So you drop $100 or more and BOOM! 4-8 months later, there's a new OS, or a new version of this or that.

It finally dawned on me that I was spending a lot of money for very little usability and longterm use.

I'm much rather seek it out online...help, tutorials, how-to's, Q&A, specs, overviews, etc. I haven't bought a Mac/Adobe-oriented book in over five years. And recently I went through my old ones and tallied up how much money I've spent on them (and factored in how long they've been completely useless and dormant) and I nearly vomited.

As for .Mac, I've had it for about four years now (jumped on the pre-$99 version they used to have and loved it). But, then again, I'm a real believer in consolidation, streamlining and efficiency...it just goes completely against my grain to use 6-8 half-ass, differently designed/interfaced apps or solutions if there's something that does it all for my modest-intermediate needs in a really tight, integrated and easy package.

Plus, Brad mentioned the "ad free" aspect of it. I never realize I appreciate that so much until I'm sitting with a friend who is signing on to their Hotmail or Yahoo! accounts...jeez. Banner/pop-up city, this stuff! And frankly, they're a bit ugly and cluttered, and no fun to deal with. To me, it's almost worth the $99 a year to NOT see and wade through all that nonsense.

I gladly renew my .Mac every October, and can't foresee a time when I don't.

YMMV or whatever.

Actually you make a lot of very good points here about .Mac membership. I hadn't thought about it quite like this. I was thinking of not renewing next time. But. Now i might just have to. Damn you pscates . (If you send me the membership fee i might just forgive you )

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
LiquidSpace

Send a message via AIM to LiquidSpace  
2006-07-10, 10:08

Quote:

I understand the warrantee, and find it would probably be worthwhile. The ProCare package seems like a "nice to have" but not necessary.

i would disagree that consumers wouldn't benefit from the pro care service. Most people unlike us that browse this forum are not as sharp as the rest of the tools in the shed, so pro care is a good way to get 1 on 1 training on anything from turning on the computer or how to make a movie in iDVD ect, even for people who have been using apple computers for a long time can gain something from it, including training on pro apps like final cut and logic ect.... so even for the long time apple user pro care can still be beneficial imo

Quote:

.mac is what I'm really wondering about. It seems all the things they are trying to sell me with a .mac account I already have for FREE

For example:

email -- hotmail.com

blogs -- wordpress.com

moviesharing -- jumpcut.com

macsyncing -- I have no need for this

ichat -- instant messenger (I never chat anyway)

backups -- I own an external USB drive that I currently back up to

.mac group -- groups.yahoo.com

Can someone explain to me why I would want to or should pay an annual fee for what is already free? There must be some good reason?

I think the value comes with the ease of use factor and intergration of applications. While you could get a bunch of free apps to do your mail, blog, hosting ect the .mac account gives you simplicity.

Backup - while you have an external drive this app lets you schdule automatic backups of certain folderrs, drives ect, so you never have to think about backing ish up its just done

Mail - 5 e mail addresss with the ability to create alias address which is killer when you give out your e mail for random ish or junk sign ups... can still route hotmail and yahoo accounts through your mail app

Hosting - if your using iWeb you can use the .mac account to host your pages, pictures ect straight from iPhoto / iWeb without having to do anything else, one click and your done. Have access to any document, file, image ect from any computer at any time if its on your .mac account. Public folders to allow anyone to upload files to you as a nice little FTP site ect ect

Learning Center - .mac allows you access to a great learning center that covers every topic with a QT video to illustrate the lesson

Discount - if your a student you get 30% off of .mac with a new computer purchase