User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Do you shut down your computer or do you put your computer to sleep?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Do you shut down your computer or do you put your computer to sleep?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-03, 16:26

Do you shut down your computer or do you put your computer to sleep( hibernate) before you go to bed? I shut my powerbook down everynight before going to bed. Even though apple reccomends putting the computer to sleep.

giggity
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-03, 16:41

Oh not this again...

Sigh...

I shut my computer down, if it is not doing anything overnight that is.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-06-03, 16:44

Sleep is not the same a windows hibernate. Sleep works, hibernate does not.

Just put your PB to sleep. Makes for quicker start-ups and is less stress on your HD.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-06-03, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
Oh not this again...

Sigh...

I shut my computer down, if it is not doing anything overnight that is.
you don't have a mac do you? I bet its a big honkin' tower that makes a lot of noise. I would shut it down too...

for laptops I would HIGHLY recommend sleeping the computer it puts MUCH less strain on the internal components that a boot-up process does....

for desktops it depends on what you are doing with it... I usually keep my machines on 24/7 and reboot when needed...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-03, 17:05

sleep my iMac...restart only with new updates

g
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-06-03, 17:55

i don't think i've shut down an Apple laptop in over two years.

sleep. restart on updates. rinse, repeat.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-03, 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
you don't have a mac do you? I bet its a big honkin' tower that makes a lot of noise. I would shut it down too...
Well I do have a mac... but the computer I use the most is my x86/Linux PC.
And yes, it's a BIG tower, but it's damn near silent. I have all the case fans running off a 5v line. The fan over my processor's heatsink only runs at 1400RPM, which I can't hear. The power supply I can hear, but it's not loud at all. I replaced the fan on my ATi Radeon 9000 Pro with a passive heatsink/heatpipe setup. The only noise that bothers me is the sound from the hard drive, but I am about fix that. . . Overall it is much, much quieter then the iMac (CRT, rev.d) sitting beside it. That thing can get annoying.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-03, 18:00

I put my old iMac to sleep every night, unless I forget to. In that case it stays on all night.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-06-03, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
for laptops I would HIGHLY recommend sleeping the computer it puts MUCH less strain on the internal components that a boot-up process does....
i think the strain from bootup is exaggerated by a lot of people. the machines were intended to be turned on after all. a good reason to keep the computer on, if you need one, is the background tasks that get run at odd times in the morning (cron jobs). failure to run them, iirc, can leave some pretty fat files on your drive.

i keep mine on unless i update the kernel, switch between osx and gnu/linux (a rare occassion, as i tend to stay on the gnu/linux side), or if i kp.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-03, 18:21

thuh Freak,

Neat, I never knew you ran Linux on your Mac. Which distro do you use?
I ran YDL and Gentoo on a slot-loading iMac for a while... it was neat but the Gentoo install took forever on the little 350mhz iMac and YDL just felt to much like RedHat (which can be a good thing, but just not for me). Then I gave OpenDarwin a shot... then I killed the CRT. Long story short, I was impressed with Linux on PPC.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-06-03, 18:22

Turned on, yes.

But each cycle of heating/cooling/heating puts thermal stress on every component and every junction in the system. Sleep mode keeps a trickle of electricity to the most critical components, and keeps them warmed a bit. Hence, less stress.

I transport my laptop everywhere, and I think I reboot it about... never, except for updates.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-06-03, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
thuh Freak,

Neat, I never knew you ran Linux on your Mac. Which distro do you use?
I ran YDL and Gentoo on a slot-loading iMac for a while... it was neat but the Gentoo install took forever on the little 350mhz iMac and YDL just felt to much like RedHat (which can be a good thing, but just not for me). Then I gave OpenDarwin a shot... then I killed the CRT. Long story short, I was impressed with Linux on PPC.
gentoo. i tried a few distros and some bsds, but i like gentoo the best. i did the stage3 (or maybe stage2), so i could avoid most of those long compiles on install. its the fastest (atleast feels the fastest) os ive run on my g3/350. quite faster than osx. actually, i liked opendarwin alot, except i couldn't get audio working on a purely free darwin system, which i was running at the time. i've never owned an x86 box, so i havent tried any distros on em yet. i imagine its a bit easier, with regards to a lot of badly ported code.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-03, 19:33

Like thegelding, I put mine to sleep. It only gets restarted with updates that require it. I never shut it down, really.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-06-03, 20:28

I put my 12" PB to sleep.

I also have it perched on one of those white-plastic, tilted swivel-stands from the apple store, to keep air flowing underneath. I wouldn't be without it.

I bought one of those laptop backpacks at the apple store, manufactured specifically for apple, for when I go traveling. It is incredibly well-made, as you might expect. I think it was around $200. (You get what you pay for.) It's wonderful, and would be perfect for airplane and train travel in Europe.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-03, 20:37

thuh Freak,

Yah, I am using Gentoo myself on my x86 box right now. I have played around with many other x86 distros. . . Gentoo is not my number one in that respect, but it's up there.

I am now in the market for a laptop, and I plan on getting an iBook. I sure hope AirPort-ex gets Linux support soon. But OSX seems like it can hold my interest until then. I can't wait till I get it, this will be my first mac with OSX. Right now I am stuck in OS 8.6, which is still a great OS IMO, well much better then OS9 anyway.

I kinda wish Linux would get a little more backing on the PPC arch.
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-03, 21:32

Also I want to mention, that my parents has a 400 Mhz Powermac G4 Giga Eithernet. They had always put it to sleep before going to bed. But, when I had shut it down for a night and started it up the next day, all my family noticed that it was alot faster then being in sleep. The G4 is running currently Jaguar( 10.2.8). I don't exactly get how sleep puts less stress on the HD. The HD still needs to spin up when awaken, from 0 RPM to what ever the HD speed is. So where is the stress relief when being awaken then in start up?

giggity
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-06-04, 08:16

I put mine to sleep because: i) I always understood that Macs were designed to work this way and indeed the Mac sleep function always has worked well on my computer; ii) I really appreciate being able to work pretty much instantaneously on the computer and iii) OS X still has a horrendously long boot time, even in 10.3

Why would you do it any other way? Of course I do restart for updates, but that is pretty much it.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-06-04, 13:05

Sleep, sleep and sleep. I never shut mine down. I have a dual 2 GHz G5, a dual 1 Ghz G4 and a 12" Powerbook and all of them are on (sleeping or awake) 24/7/365. Starting the computer from power down takes as much power as letting the Mac sleep for 8 hours, and sleeping isn't a shock to the system like cold starting is.
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-04, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
I put mine to sleep because: i) I always understood that Macs were designed to work this way and indeed the Mac sleep function always has worked well on my computer; ii) I really appreciate being able to work pretty much instantaneously on the computer and iii) OS X still has a horrendously long boot time, even in 10.3

Why would you do it any other way? Of course I do restart for updates, but that is pretty much it.
How long does it to take to start up your computer. Mine starts up in 20 seconds and shuts down in 5 secs. Yes, when I resart the computer for updates it takes longer for some reason. I think when I start the computer back up I am going to put it to sleep and once 1-2 weeks shut it down for one night. So when I turn it on again the clean up manger does it stuff. I won't do that if there is an update that requires the computer to restart, so the clean up manager does it stuff.

giggity
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-06-04, 14:40

I sleep my PowerBook, but shut down my G5.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-06-04, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
How long does it to take to start up your computer. Mine starts up in 20 seconds and shuts down in 5 secs. [...]
I have not timed it with a watch, but whatever it is, it is still too damn long for me. Why wait however long for a boot-up when the computer can be on in 1/2 second if you use the sleep function?

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-06-04, 15:27

Quote:
How long does it to take to start up your computer. Mine starts up in 20 seconds and shuts down in 5 secs.
You're not serious! :wow: 20 seconds? My Dual G5 boots up in 1:25 and my Powerbook in 1:21.

If I'm doing something wrong, tell me.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-04, 15:29

Quaggo...I mean uhhh, undertaker can't count

Seriously though, 20 seconds is too fast. That unrealistically fast.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-04, 19:13

20 seconds for OSX might be to fast. . .

but when I was using Slackware Linux, after some tweaking my boot time was around 16 seconds. That's, from power on to CLI in 16 seconds. . .
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-05, 10:30

like the others: sleep, except for s/ware installs with my TiPB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertaker
Also I want to mention, that my parents has a 400 Mhz Powermac G4 Giga Eithernet. They had always put it to sleep before going to bed. But, when I had shut it down for a night and started it up the next day, all my family noticed that it was alot faster then being in sleep.
undertaker Do you mean that the startup procedure (boot time) was quicker after a shut down, or that the computer generally ran faster after a shut down as opposed to a sleep?

B/c a shutdown will clear the cache etc and generally clean up a lot of junk that accumulates which can eat away at your RAM, thus slowing the speed of your computer. I don't think sleep will eradicate this stuff, so I can understand your folks thinking that their computer got a bit "zippier" after a shut down and restart procedure, since they essentially got a clean slab of RAM to play with from scratch. (Did that make sense?)

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Quagmire
meh

2004-06-05, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
like the others: sleep, except for s/ware installs with my TiPB.

undertaker Do you mean that the startup procedure (boot time) was quicker after a shut down, or that the computer generally ran faster after a shut down as opposed to a sleep?

B/c a shutdown will clear the cache etc and generally clean up a lot of junk that accumulates which can eat away at your RAM, thus slowing the speed of your computer. I don't think sleep will eradicate this stuff, so I can understand your folks thinking that their computer got a bit "zippier" after a shut down and restart procedure, since they essentially got a clean slab of RAM to play with from scratch. (Did that make sense?)
Yes, that did make sense. Thank you for that answer. I do not know why people think 20 seconds is so fast. When I timed it with a stop watch, it came in between 20-30 seconds. I would say the average time was 35 seconds. I was implenting that my powerbook can start up in 20 seconds. I was not saying it does that everytime.

giggity
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-05, 11:09

Quote:
Yes, that did make sense. Thank you for that answer. I do not know why people think 20 seconds is so fast. When I timed it with a stop watch, it came in between 20-30 seconds. I would say the average time was 35 seconds. I was implenting that my powerbook can start up in 20 seconds. I was not saying it does that everytime.
ut check your Maths here... if your stop watch trial(s?) have your computer booting up between 20 and 30 seconds, then I don't think you can claim that the average is above this amount of time. The average would have to be an "average of the times you recorded" - most of which you state fall between 20 and 30 seconds - thus the average should not be above 30 seconds. Maybe it is a typo, or you didn't express yourself clearly enough, or perhaps I did not properly understand what you had written! Be wary of this when quoting times though, b/c people like to verify things they can quantify. In other words, the fudging of words and implied meanings can usually be tolerated, but most people do not like to see "fudged" figures.

I hope this make sense - of course I may have incorrectly read/intepreted your post - if I did so, then sincere apologies.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
wrinkles

2005-01-08, 21:11

How about going to sleep while logged in versus just logging out. Any differences (besides obviously not being logged in).
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-01-08, 21:27

I let my iBook's display go to sleep, but the system stays running 24/7. I just let OSX's overnight maintenance do its thing.

Those scripts won't run when it's asleep, correct?
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-08, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
I let my iBook's display go to sleep, but the system stays running 24/7. I just let OSX's overnight maintenance do its thing.

Those scripts won't run when it's asleep, correct?
Correct. Try not to reply to long dead threads tho guys...

Look at the time stamps—this thread is six months old!