User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Who will be president first?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Who will be president of the Untied States first?
A woman 16 34.04%
A minority 31 65.96%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Who will be president first?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-31, 23:19

So what's your call? Who will make it into the oval office first?

I know this isn't a very broad poll, so if a mod would like to add more options, feel free.

Come waste your time with me
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-07-31, 23:20

Options?

There are no options!!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-31, 23:22

You just got in too early. Vote now
Quagmire
meh

2004-07-31, 23:24

I feel a minority will be in the oval office. I think a black person will be the first minority. Maybe that Omas(please correct spelling if spelled wrong) guy will be the first black. His future is bright.

giggity
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-07-31, 23:37

Minority, if only because Obama is so much more likeable than Hillary.

vs

PS How the fsck did you get "Omas" from "Obama"?

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.

Last edited by Barto : 2004-08-01 at 00:38. Reason: Changed "mainstream appeal" to "so much more likeable" and found a better picture of Hillary.
Quagmire
meh

2004-07-31, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
Minority, if only because Obama has more mainstream appeal than Hillary.

vs
Thank you for sort of correcting me. I believe too that Obama will be the first black pres.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-31, 23:43

Barack Obama. I've heard a lot of people referring to him as quite possibly the first black president. Given his amazing presence and charisma at the Democratic convention, especially when you think that he's in his early forties and only a state senator. If that speech he made at the DNC was so good, imagine how great he'll be by the time he has been in national politics for longer.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-31, 23:47

But he's a democrat, and from Illinois. I'm really not sure about those people

I could see him becoming president, however, I wouldn't vote for him, as I won't vote for him in the Illinois Senate race. However, he will win that because the Republicans in Illinois are in very sorry shape.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-31, 23:59

Yep, you can basically toss out your votes this year DMB, because Illinois is very strongly in favor of the Democrats right now. Kinda sucks how the electoral system works, doesn't it?

Actually, my votes will be important for the first time in a while. Minnesota has historically always voted Democrat (one of a handful of states that Dukakis won, the only state Mondale one next to DC), but this year it's a close race. I still can't imagine the Republicans taking the state, but anything is possible (especially when you have people like Dick Cheney in positions of power...), so I'll make absolutely sure I get out and vote. The Dems can use every vote they can get here.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-01, 00:54

He did give a very compelling speech at the convention this year, however I feel we are a long way from either of the two options occurring. However groundbreaking it would be, much of the United States is still ... not in the right mindset.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-01, 01:19

I couldn't agree with you more. That's partially the reason I posted this poll, I wanted to see who y'all were less resistant to. I doubt either will happen in my lifetime, and I'm only 18. A sad situation, but I just don't see either happening anytime soon.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-01, 01:24

I turn 18 exactly on November 2nd, I don't believe I will be voting this year. Something about the candidates just doesn't persuade me. Everyone says your vote counts, but if I don't believe in what is being said be either of the two major candidates, I don't know what to do. Maybe I should look up a minority candidate.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-01, 01:28

Don't be a pussy, vote

Even if you don't think your vote counts, it does. And if you don't vote, that is you officially waving your right to complain about the candidate that ends up in office.

So it's your choice, vote and complain, or don't vote and keep your mouth shut

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-01, 01:39

Your right. Hahaha
Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-01, 01:46

eh? don't you need to register a certain amount of time before the election before you can vote?

if you turn 18 on election day, is there even any way to become eligible to vote?

can you do the registration process beforehand...

I procrastinated on it, and only recently got it done, so I'm not too savvy on this stuff.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-01, 01:48

I think I can do it before, I'm not too sure tho. I might be wrong. I'll look into it, wherever I go around here I have college students trying to register me to vote, so I don't know.

Wrao
Yarp

2004-08-01, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Yep, you can basically toss out your votes this year DMB, because Illinois is very strongly in favor of the Democrats right now. Kinda sucks how the electoral system works, doesn't it?
THIS is the primary reason why I'm not that motivated to vote, I mean, I still will, but, I live in california fercrissakes, not only is california strongly democratic in the electoral college, but it's worth 55 friggin votes.

But, I won't be in california on november, guess where I will be?

Boston Massachusetts, another very democratic state.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-01, 02:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
I think I can do it before, I'm not too sure tho. I might be wrong. I'll look into it, wherever I go around here I have college students trying to register me to vote, so I don't know.
What state are you in? Because of our system, I can see how you might be less than motivated to vote in one of the "safe" states like Texas, Illinois, California, Kansas, etc. But there are so many battleground states this election. Even my home state of Minnesota is a very close race - I'll definitely be casting my vote this election!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-01, 12:12

There is no way Hillary Clinton would get elected after all the social and political baggage she has collected IMO. She's certainly driven to try (and more power to her) but I don't think she has a good chance.

Obama is the most likely candidate in my estimation, but we'll have to wait till 2012 since he's going to be elected to the Senate this year if my neighbors in Illinois and I have anything to say about it. That's six years to 2010... then another two until the election.

So we got a ways to go, but barring some very popular minority or female governor running in 2008 (someone we can't forsee right now), I think Obama is the guy. We'll see how he performs in the Senate, but I have no qualms whatever about voting for the guy right now. Very bright, has a genuine vision to shake things up a bit, and a very good communicator. That's more than I can say for most politicians.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Akumulator

2004-08-01, 12:23

I'm going to be voting as many times as possible this year.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-01, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
I'm going to be voting as many times as possible this year.
1?

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-01, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
What state are you in? Because of our system, I can see how you might be less than motivated to vote in one of the "safe" states like Texas, Illinois, California, Kansas, etc. But there are so many battleground states this election. Even my home state of Minnesota is a very close race - I'll definitely be casting my vote this election!
Yeah, I'm not sure what the policy is here. But seeing as I am in a swing state, Wisconsin, my vote would really count all the more.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-08-01, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
eh? don't you need to register a certain amount of time before the election before you can vote?

if you turn 18 on election day, is there even any way to become eligible to vote?
Here in Minnesota you can register on the day of the election. Or is that only for the state elections, not national?
k squared

2004-08-01, 15:34

How about an option for a minority woman?
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2004-08-01, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Here in Minnesota you can register on the day of the election. Or is that only for the state elections, not national?
For the presidential elections, as long as you have proof of identity, you can register the day of. State elections depend more on the state itself. Minneosta and Wisconsin have pretty lax registration laws and allow you to register the day of and it doesn't take all that long. I don't know how it is in other states though.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-08-01, 16:12

I predict we will see a minority woman before we see Ralph Nader.

Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-01, 16:26

On Obama. The speaker was better than what was spoken. The speech itself tugged on one too many heartstrings.

I'm imagining a worst case scenario... It would be sadly ironic if inner-city youth saw Obama as "acting white" because of his academic/social status and don't feel compelled to vote in future elections.

Are there any notable mixed-race politicians out there that could throw a wrench into this topic?
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-08-01, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
I turn 18 exactly on November 2nd, I don't believe I will be voting this year. Something about the candidates just doesn't persuade me. Everyone says your vote counts, but if I don't believe in what is being said be either of the two major candidates, I don't know what to do. Maybe I should look up a minority candidate.
your vote DOES count.
http://www.perkel.com/politics/young.htm
make sure you vote, it IS in your best interest.

as for the poll... I think Hillary has a decent shot, but if Kerry wins, and does well as president, she'll have to beat out Edwards, Obama, AND Lieberman (god knows he'll still run ) in 2012. Wow, that seem like it is much farther away then just 8 years...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-08-01, 20:18

i think you all underestimate the amount of racism in this country. there's no way a black man or women would get elected president for at least another generation. there are just too many racist people in this country for that to ever happen.

now, you might have a shot with a caucasian looking latino, but that's about it.

as for a women president, from everyone i've talked to they'd have a harder time convincing other women to vote for them than anything else. time could prove me wrong though, we'll see. of course, if you would put a competent women canidate up against either of the two bozo's that are running now, i think you'd have a shot.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-01, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
In Illinois you're required to register at least 60 days before the election date to be eligible to vote in federal and state elections.