User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Best Star Trek series


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Best Star Trek series?
Star Trek 16 19.05%
Star Trek: The Animated Series 1 1.19%
Star Trek: The Next Generation 45 53.57%
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine 13 15.48%
Star Trek: Voyager 4 4.76%
Star Trek: Enterprise 4 4.76%
Star Trek: 2.0 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Best Star Trek series
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2006-07-14, 12:06

So whats your favorite Star Trek series? I know you all have opinions on this, dont try and hide your geekiness...

I used to think of myself as a TNG man, but recently I've been watching a lot of DS9 and I think it might be taking the number one slot in my mind. I think the characters, especially the supporting cast are more developed. Sisko, O'Brien, and Bashir are very interesting characters. The character relationships are a lot more developed as well. Nowhere else in Trek do we see something as prolonged and complicated as the Odo/Kira thing. I suppose Riker/Troy is close but that story has so much less screen time.

If I were to rank them in order, I would probably go:

1. DS9
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. ENT
5. VOY
n/a. TAS - never seen it. Does it even count?

What are your thoughts?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
  quote
digitalprimate
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
 
2006-07-14, 12:08

I liked The Next Generation the best, with a close second ST Voyager.

I like the fact that they've given Scott Bakula work in TAS, but this series doesn't do it for me, so I don't watch it...
  quote
Sauvblanc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mel-Bun!
 
2006-07-14, 12:24

STV gets my vote simply for the eye candy aspect (Seven of Nine...yum!) but I also quite enjoyed the series as a whole.

STV and TNG are my top two. DS9 never really grabbed me and neither did STE. Never really seen enough of the original ST to have an opinion one way or another.
  quote
Wrao
Yarp
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Road Warrior
 
2006-07-14, 13:24

When I lived in boston we had a TV that only got reception on about 8 channels. I've never been a big TV watcher, but for a good 6 or 7 months it was about all I did. We watched 4 or 5 shows religiously; Cosby, Fresh Prince, Highlander, MXC and Star Trek: TNG.

As such, I have seen practically all of Star Trek TNG, and after much consideration, I have concluded... Babylon 5 is superior. However, TNG does have its moments.

My biggest problem with TNG is that a lot of the crises resolve themselves in the last 4 or 5 minutes when jordie discovers that you can actually send an inverse phase modulation relay into the tachyon pulse emitter. I swear that's happened over a dozen times.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
 
2006-07-14, 13:26

Wow, I had no idea there were so many!

I guess the original Shatner/Nimoy one, but I'm not really a fan of the whole franchise to tell the truth. It's just that I've seen those more (and know the characters better) than the newer ones.

Me and the whole "Star Trek" thing just never clicked.
  quote
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kuwait
 
2006-07-14, 13:48

TNG all the way!!!
  quote
Chinney
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa, ON
 
2006-07-14, 13:54

The quality of the underlying ideas, and their execution, make TNG the best. Picard was the best captain by far. The original series gets high marks for leading the way and for some interesting ideas, but let’s face it, the quality of the execution – esp. the writing and the acting – sometimes left a lot to be desired. DS9 and Voyager had some interesting aspects, but ultimately did not hold my attention. The plot line of DS9, especially, became so convoluted that you were lost if you missed an episode or two.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-14, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos
I used to think of myself as a TNG man, but recently I've been watching a lot of DS9 and I think it might be taking the number one slot in my mind. I think the characters, especially the supporting cast are more developed. Sisko, O'Brien, and Bashir are very interesting characters. The character relationships are a lot more developed as well.
I think that mostly sums it up for me, too. I realized in the recent years that the character development in DS9 is unparalleled in Star Trek.
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-14, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
The plot line of DS9, especially, became so convoluted that you were lost if you missed an episode or two.
I wouldn't necessarily call it a bad thing. TNG episodes were simply more standing out on their own, whereas DS9 had a strong outer storyline that kept developing.
  quote
Chinney
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa, ON
 
2006-07-14, 14:11

I get your point. Despite my comments above, it could be that on another viewing, DS9 would be the best. But for reasons I suggested above, DS9 was a series that required a lot of viewer commitment. Perhaps, though, that if you did make the commitment, it was worthwhile. But if you didn’t, it was not a series that you could easily just drop in and watch an episode or two, because without the understanding of recent character and storyline development, all the intricacies became confusing and boring. I made the commitment to DS9 for the first while, but eventually lost it.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2006-07-14, 14:51

TNG.

If only because DS9 disappeared off my radar AND at one point I swear the good doctor was using the units of capacitance to describe viral load.
  quote
PB PM
Sneaky Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-07-14, 15:05

DS9, no contest. Kraetos noted the characters, and I agree. Deepest story, and hey a nice big war to end things off. I thought STV was good, but the way they ended it was lame / too easy (not a big 7of9 fan ether, I mean the basic idea was just carried over from the STNG Data character... come on try something new).
  quote
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Inner Swabia. If you have to ask twice, don't.
 
2006-07-14, 15:06

7of9 is teh hotness neck down...
  quote
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Head in a trash can.
 
2006-07-14, 15:07

The orginal was the best. It's what I was raised on, and I love it to this day. The next generation was pretty crappy in the early years because they kept knocking off the orginal for awhile. However Q and the Borg were the greatest concepts ever. After a few years TNG took off and I liked it a lot as well.

And All That Could Have Been
  quote
PB PM
Sneaky Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-07-14, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
7of9 is teh hotness neck down...
Maybe so, but I'm talking about the character... Didn't think she was the great looking, but thats just me.

I watched almost all of the original, and I think a great deal of the acting is poor (IMO), which is my main issue with that show. Some interesting ideas, but they didn't really have the film technology to take advantage of them, and person who played Mr.Kick (W.S) didn't help any.
  quote
Banana
is the next Chiquita
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
 
2006-07-14, 15:50

One thing I find most amusing about the original series was how they got everything horribly wrong when they tried to predict the future technology.

Some examples:

They were using those analog spinners (don't know that is called- it's same what you use for your odometers) to tell the time, the speed. They didn't even think of digital LCD.

Their "communicator" == our cell phone, and our cellphone is actually better because it's dual phase so there's no "Over." and "Over and out" nonsense.

Their furniture- Fit for blockheads.

But, I did like the original series' stories despite the amusing shortcoming above.

Followed TNG on and off, then lost interest in the rest of franchise.
  quote
digitalprimate
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
 
2006-07-14, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
My biggest problem with TNG is that a lot of the crises resolve themselves in the last 4 or 5 minutes when jordie discovers that you can actually send an inverse phase modulation relay into the tachyon pulse emitter. I swear that's happened over a dozen times.
Actually, TNG is more like a soap opera set in the future. I liked the production design; very consequent and "up to date". DS9 has a darker feel to it.
  quote
Wrao
Yarp
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Road Warrior
 
2006-07-14, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalprimate
Actually, TNG is more like a soap opera set in the future. I liked the production design; very consequent and "up to date". DS9 has a darker feel to it.
Yeah, I thought the sets and stuff had a very... inoffensive appeal to them. Very bland and clean, hypoallergenic if you will. DS9 probably had tetanus.
  quote
PB PM
Sneaky Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-07-14, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Yeah, I thought the sets and stuff had a very... inoffensive appeal to them. Very bland and clean, hypoallergenic if you will. DS9 probably had tetanus.
Considering that the writers are the same, for the last half of STNG, all of DS9, STV and STE, they had to do something to separate them. I think the darkness of DS9 comes from the fact that is not an "earth" based station so they try to give the oppressive, as you said, dark feel of its creators.
  quote
Wrao
Yarp
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Road Warrior
 
2006-07-14, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
Considering that the writers are the same, for the last half of STNG, all of DS9, STV and STE, they had to do something to separate them. I think the darkness of DS9 comes from the fact that is not an "earth" based station so they try to give the oppressive, as you said, dark feel of its creators.

I think they were just trying to mooch off of Babylon 5.
  quote
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minnesota
 
2006-07-14, 16:52

TNG. TNG. TNG. TNG. TNG. TNG.

That show was so awesome, and it still is. Picard was the best captain ever, and Patrick Stewart is probably the best actor ever to have graced any Trek show before or since. Some of the episodes were pretty cheesy, but all Trek series have suffered from that, especially in the first two or three seasons.

DS9 is my second favorite. It really gets a nice long storyline going, much like Babylon 5 (which I also loved), and unlike any other Trek series. I liked Sisko and Quark, but the Bajorans pretty universally pissed me off.

After DS9, I'm not sure. Probably TOS, just for camp appeal and nostalgia. It's fun to watch it and to see just how silly it looks now (even though it was probably pretty cool back in the 60s). And I really like Spock.

Voyager and Enterprise were both pretty lackluster IMHO. Enterprise got a bit better towards the end, but then it was unceremoniously canceled. T'Pol was a terrible Vulcan (hot, but nothing at all like a Vulcan should be). Voyager was fun at times, but it seemed kind of aimless. It was pretty much a forgone conclusion that they'd be tooling around in the Delta quadrant until the last episode of the series, so that removed a lot of the tension from the episodes, especially the ones that involved a chance of their making it home.

I have to say, though, that the Star Trek movies (as a whole) rank right between TNG/DS9 and the other series as far as how much I enjoyed them. I liked the movies a lot more than the original series. I enjoyed almost all of them in their own way (with the possible exception of The Motion Picture, which was too slow and plodding to be of much interest).

I really did love B5. Never saw it on TV, but I got all the DVD sets and watched every single episode, along with every single commentary reel and every single feature-length TV movie. The only part of the B5 universe I missed was Crusade. It was really a wonderful series... the acting was a bit wooden, especially from the eastern European lady (Delenn), but the story was so gripping I was able to look past it. The only problem is that, after watching it once, I've never had even the slightest desire to go back and see it again. TNG, on the other hand, always seems new and fresh, even though I've probably seen most episodes more than once.
  quote
Wrao
Yarp
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Road Warrior
 
2006-07-14, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
and Patrick Stewart is probably the best actor ever to have graced any Trek show before or since. .

Brent Spiner should get some credit too. All said and done, he took wood plank acting to a whole new level.... on purpose.
  quote
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Minnesota
 
2006-07-14, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Brent Spiner should get some credit too. All said and done, he took wood plank acting to a whole new level.... on purpose.
True, and remember that he also played more roles than probably anyone else on the show. He didn't just play Data, he also played Lore and Dr. Soong, all of whom have distinctly different personalities from Data. And there were several episodes in which Data took on yet more personalities, and he pulled those off well too.

Patrick Stewart still has a commanding screen presence. The man made a PERFECT starship captain.
  quote
Kickaha
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2006-07-14, 17:20

Wow. I'm really stunned by the TNG love fest. I loved it when it first aired, but was pretty bored with it by the end, to be honest. Voyager had a great premise, then, just went... no where. Certainly not anywhere boldly. I liked Enterprise at the start, but B&B really were smoking crack - the final season's run, when they brought in *actual SF writers* was pretty damned good though. Too bad it was too late to save the show, it was just starting to get interesting again. DS9 was probably my favorite modern Trek series, but that's most likely because B5 set the stage for me loving large, epic story arcs. Gotta say, I love TOS, but they didn't have the effects capacity to really let it fly.

Which is why I went with the animated series. No, I'm serious. Most of the episodes were written by the same writers as TOS, but using animation let them do strange stuff that really, actually, honest to god, felt alien. Loved it. It's some of the best SF ever put on tv, crappy early 70s animation aside.
  quote
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Head in a trash can.
 
2006-07-14, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha

Which is why I went with the animated series. No, I'm serious. Most of the episodes were written by the same writers as TOS, but using animation let them do strange stuff that really, actually, honest to god, felt alien. Loved it. It's some of the best SF ever put on tv, crappy early 70s animation aside.
I never saw the animated series. Is there a place where I can buy them/download them (legally)?
  quote
digitalprimate
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
 
2006-07-14, 18:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Which is why I went with the animated series. No, I'm serious. Most of the episodes were written by the same writers as TOS, but using animation let them do strange stuff that really, actually, honest to god, felt alien. Loved it. It's some of the best SF ever put on tv, crappy early 70s animation aside.
Which brings us straight to what I believe is the best animated SF ever: Aeon Flux. But that's a whole other thread...
  quote
blakbyrd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Warrenville, SC
Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-14, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argento
I never saw the animated series. Is there a place where I can buy them/download them (legally)?
The DVDs are supposedly coming out around September. The cover art has been on several sites.
  quote
thegeriatric
geri to my friends
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Heaven
 
2006-07-14, 18:24

My Favourite has to be The Next Generation, closely followed by the original series. William Shatner was good.But.....Patrick Stewart took things to a whole new level. Don't forget the films they were great too.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  quote
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Portland, OR
 
2006-07-14, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric
Don't forget the films they were great too.
Some of them.

I don't follow ST enough to have a very valid opinion on which series was the best (if I had to choose, I'd say TNG, because Patrick Stewart rocks - I actually normally prefer larger story arcs, but I didn't follow DS9 closely enough to get into it), but I'm a big movie buff, so I'm more familiar with the movies. I've heard all the hardcore ST nerds have a law or something, that odd-numbered ST movies are good, and even-numbered ST movies are bad (or vice versa?). The ST movies are definitely a mixed bag.

I've never heard of Star Trek 2.0. I would assume it's going to be the next series, since all the series were listed chronologically in the poll, but how could we have an opinion on a series that wasn't out yet? (Maybe that's why it doesn't have any votes...)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
  quote
Foj
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta
 
2006-07-14, 19:25

  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Star Trek 2.0 = promo awesomeness curiousuburb AppleOutsider 8 2006-05-17 12:51
Adult Star Wars books Mac+ AppleOutsider 18 2006-04-05 21:09
Star Wars TV Series scratt AppleOutsider 15 2005-04-27 16:18
Paramount cancels Star Trek. Again. curiousuburb AppleOutsider 45 2005-02-25 20:23
Bluetooth Star Trek Communicator drewprops AppleOutsider 13 2004-11-12 17:26


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2024, AppleNova