AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Kscherer's Word of the Day™

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Kscherer's Word of the Day™
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-21, 16:51

We all use words inappropriately, and I mean ALL of us! So I thought I would start this thread and try to post words—with their actual definitions—as an educational resource for any interested parties. Naturally, anyone may post their Word of the Day™ and, of course, belittle each other for using them wrong! Or right, for that matter.

Now, keep in mind that I am no grammar professor, and I have given up my day job as Internet Grammar Officer because it is too much work and exposed too many of my own english flaws. However, I do like to learn at least one new word per year, preferably one with at least three letters.

Anyway, here are the thread rules:

1) Word must be real, and composed of actual letters;
2) Word may be from any language, as long as it follows rule #1;
3) Word must be accompanied by it's definition (not yours) from a reasonably accurate dictionary (not Wikipedia);
4) You may badmouth each other's words all you want. Just make sure to use your own words properly;
5) You may tell stories (or lies) about how the word is misused. This part should be fun;
6) Post why you think the word is misused, not necessarily why the establishment thinks so;
7) Please follow the "Word: definition" format to make it easy to spot your word/definition.

Anywho…I'm bored, so here goes…

Retarded: less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age.

People use this word to associate slight deviations from the norm with a mental and/or physical disability. Believe it or not, the word itself does not bother me, even though I had a child who was, by definition, retarded, both mentally and physically. However, the word was used as an insult for so long that calling someone who is actually retarded "retarded" is much like using that pesky "n"-word to describe a black person. It is true, given the exact definition of the word, but the word has evolved into an insult, rather than a strict descriptor. It is also used to associate stupid ideas and thinking with what they are, and sometimes quite humorously.

So, use it sparingly, and never to describe an actual "retarded" person.

**Edit: Unless otherwise noted, I will be using the Oxford dictionary built into my Mac. It is easy to use, and I am too lazy to dig through a hundred boxes in search of an actual book.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2011-03-21 at 17:04.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-03-21, 17:17

biased: (adjective) having or showing bias or prejudice: They gave us a biased report on immigration trends.

bias: (noun) a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question. His bias was in evidence when he gave the report.

Dear Internet: if you want to call someone's objectivity into question, you can say they are biased, have a bias, or have a biased opinion. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "BIAS OPINION", YOU HALFWITS. When you say that you are saying that their is opinion is cut on a diagonal, which is the only form of "bias" that serves as an adjective. Stop it, you sub-literate monkeys.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2011-03-21, 20:16

SINISTER |ˈsinistər|
(adjective)
1 giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen : there was something sinister about that murmuring voice.
• wicked or criminal.

2 [ attrib. ] archaic & Heraldry of, on, or toward the left-hand side (in a coat of arms, from the bearer's point of view, i.e., the right as it is depicted). The opposite of DEXTER.

DERIVATIVES
sinisterly |ˈsɪn1stərli| adverb
sinisterness |ˈsɪn1stərnəs| noun

ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense [malicious, underhanded] ): from Old French sinistre or Latin sinister ‘left.’
* via New Oxford American Dictionary - via Mac built-in dictionary app

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-03-21, 20:39

egrote: to feign an illness to avoid work. Use it wisely.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2011-03-21, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
egrote: to feign an illness to avoid work. Use it wisely.
Hmmmmm... Wordnik comments dispute
Not a genuine word. Given in Bailey's dictionary (1721-61), and egroting "feigned illness" in other 18th-century lists, but no actual uses are known to the OED.

From Latin aegrot- "be ill" from aeger "ill". Universities may allow an aegrotat "sick note".
but I once had a real aegrotat usage, so...

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-03-21, 21:17

Who are you going to believe, Wordnik or Bailey's dictionary (1721-61)?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-03-21, 21:47

were |wər|
second person singular past, plural past, and past subjunctive of be .

Dear friends with poor language skills and certain disabilities, I know that you can't tell the difference between the words "where" and "were" (as in "We where going to tell you later."), but please afford me time for a silent, inward cringe before I respond to your Facebook posts.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-03-21, 21:58

You people apparently do not understand the phrase "word of the day". Word being singular, day meaning one per. Unless of course you want to vote me "Word Chancellor" and I will decide at the end of each day whose submission wins.

For example, today I would choose: Sinister... because a) it's a cool word; and b) Burb is going to need a win to cherish this week, after I kick his butt in fantasy hosket.

...into the light of a dark black night.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-03-21, 23:07

That was an appropriate admonition.
By the way, could you define the word "Hosket" and provide a reference?

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-03-22, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
That was an appropriate admonition.
Uhthankyousuh.

Quote:
By the way, could you define the word "Hosket" and provide a reference?

Hosket (ha•sket) n. - common derivate of the word hockey, the world's 2nd greatest spectator sport behind wet t-shirt contests, thought to be coined by a drunken pirate in the early 21st century.

Ex: "There is no time for March Madness when there is important hosket to be watched."

zippy
Veteran Member

2011-03-22, 09:59

Quote:
biased: (adjective) having or showing bias or prejudice: They gave us a biased report on immigration trends.

bias: (noun) a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question. His bias was in evidence when he gave the report.

Dear Internet: if you want to call someone's objectivity into question, you can say they are biased, have a bias, or have a biased opinion. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "BIAS OPINION", YOU HALFWITS. When you say that you are saying that their is opinion is cut on a diagonal, which is the only form of "bias" that serves as an adjective. Stop it, you sub-literate monkeys.
Yes, yes - a thousand times yes. I see this all the time: "I may be bias, but..." I refrain from correcting this each and every time I see it because I don't want to come off as a douche. And frankly, it's just so pervasive that I wouldn't be able to sustain the effort.

You can have a bias, or you can show a bias, but you can't be bias. You can, however, be biased.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

Last edited by zippy : 2011-03-22 at 17:31.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-22, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Hosket (ha•sket) n. - common derivate of the word hockey, the world's 2nd greatest spectator sport behind wet t-shirt contests, thought to be coined by a drunken pirate in the early 21st century.

Ex: "There is no time for March Madness when there is important hosket to be watched."
That's the spirit! Although I think you are in violation of rules #1 and #3, although I suppose I will cut you some slack, considering you did a fantastic job of making up both word and definition.

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
…you can show bias…
No need to take your clothes off. You might scare the children!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-22, 11:13

You guys'll like this one:

rumor: a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth

Dang, I hate the way this word is used around the interwebs as if it had the same meaning as this word:

fact: a thing that is indisputably the case

I get a ridiculous number of questions about the "new" Apple thing that is certainly coming out next week. "Where did you get that information?" I ask.

"From the internet! CNN said so!"

"Well then it must be true!"

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-03-22, 12:56

Quote:

a·gree·ment   
[uh-gree-muhnt]
–noun
1. the act of agreeing or of coming to a mutual arrangement.
2. the state of being in accord.
3. an arrangement that is accepted by all parties to a transaction.
4. a contract or other document delineating such an arrangement.
5. unanimity of opinion; harmony in feeling: agreement among the members of the faculty.

However:

fu·tile   
[fyoot-l, fyoo-tahyl]
–adjective
1. incapable of producing any result; ineffective; useless; not successful: Attempting to educate the internet was futile.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-03-22, 13:16

kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-22, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Attempting to educate the internet was futile.[/b]
That is just fuh-knee!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-23, 10:03

How did this word:

opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

Become synonymous* with this one:

news: newly received or noteworthy information, esp. about recent or important events

*synonymous: having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word or phrase in the same language

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-03-23, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
How did this word:

opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

Become synonymous* with this one:

news: newly received or noteworthy information, esp. about recent or important events

*synonymous: having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word or phrase in the same language

Short Answer: Greed (gr-ee-d) n. - intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth, power, or food.

Long Answer: Anything that improves their news programs' ratings, including half-truths, opinion-as-reporting, and emotional spin, puts more money in their pocket.

Also known as:"They don't give a shit about informing us of actual facts that are put into proper context, so much as doing everything they can to make huge ad revenues, and manipulating our political opinions to favor whichever Washington whores are on their campaign payroll."

kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-24, 12:03

hypocrisy: the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.

hypocrite: a person who indulges in hypocrisy.

Asking for peace while dropping bombs is hypocrisy. Shame on us.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-03-25, 08:51

Gray (gr - A) adj. - of a color intermediate between black and white.

In common parlance, something that is "a gray area" can be said to contain complexities that make a "black and white" judgement of same to be impossible. To wit: we (along with several other countries who agree it's a good idea) use cruise missiles and bombs to create and enforce a no-fly zone. This zone prevents a dictator who exhibits signs of delusion and mental illness, from launching air attacks and ground-based tank and rocket attacks against his weakly armed civilian population, which in the midst of a democratic revolt. What makes it gray is the mix of positive and negative consequences. Negative is parts of the country get broken down and destroyed, and some civilians will get killed. Positive is far fewer people will die this way than if the dictator is allowed to directly resist the revolt with his military, and ultimately, a country will be able to govern itself.

A better definition of hypocrisy is when we decide to intervene on the behalf of one nation's struggling and abused citizens over another, saying it is about human rights and dignity. In reality it is because one group of citizens lives near oil fields while the others live in a land devoid of all industry or natural resources. We help the Libyans but we routinely watch other groups of African citizens get slaughtered (Rwanda, Congo, et al) because their country has no business interest to us. THAT's the hypocrisy.

Last edited by Moogs : 2011-03-25 at 09:09.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-25, 12:55

Quote:
THAT's the hypocrisy.
THAT is true. Which is why:

Quote:
Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence (I conjure you to believe me, fellow-citizens) the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake, since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of republican government. But that jealousy to be useful must be impartial; else it becomes the instrument of the very influence to be avoided, instead of a defense against it. Excessive partiality for one foreign nation and excessive dislike of another cause those whom they actuate to see danger only on one side, and serve to veil and even second the arts of influence on the other. Real patriots who may resist the intrigues of the favorite are liable to become suspected and odious, while its tools and dupes usurp the applause and confidence of the people, to surrender their interests.

-George Washington
wisdom: the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise.
• the soundness of an action or decision with regard to the application of such experience, knowledge, and good judgment : some questioned the wisdom of building the dam so close to an active volcano.

I cannot help but think that our continued involvement in the Middle East is much like building that dam next to the active volcano. President Washington would be .

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-25, 13:01

Quote:
Gray (gr - A) adj. - of a color intermediate between black and white.
gray: an improper spelling of grey.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-25, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

Yeah, but who says the British know how to spell?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-25, 15:32

The Queen.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-25, 15:41

LOL: abbreviation : laughing (or laugh) out loud (used in e-mail).
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-03-25, 15:50

FOF: frown on face. Invented by Paul Miller, formerly of Engadget, who I'll miss despite always being wrong.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-25, 17:15

sympathy: feelings of pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-03-25, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

Except that I pulled it from the OS X Dictionary. It's the British spelling that is Grey. You being American I presume you thought it was the other way around?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-03-25, 23:31

confusion: lack of understanding; uncertainty

joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-03-26, 01:13

Quote:
Except that I pulled it from the OS X Dictionary. It's the British spelling that is Grey. You being American I presume you thought it was the other way around?
English |ˈɪŋglɪʃ|
adjective
of or relating to England or its people or language.

noun
the West Germanic language of England