AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Minecraft 1.2 update upcoming features

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.2 update upcoming features
Page 4 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-01, 07:00

Hey! Do we have an official date for the switchover from Terra Nova to "Catworld"????

I want to reserve the time on my schedule for that adventure!!!

¡Damned!

2012-03-01, 07:09

Maybe Brad should check out the world seed Elysium mentioned earlier in the thread. It'd be nice to have most all biomes fairly close to spawn.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-03-01, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I tried this, and, well, it doesn't look so great. It looks big. So, in lieu of that idea, maybe we can use glowstone every [x] blocks in place of the half-slab, or just decide on a nice style of light fixture every [x] blocks (7 seemed to work nicely for the skyways, but we should vote). I still think we should go cobble instead of sandstone though. That looked so nice in BP.
Maybe stick with the two wide path with half slab but stagger the glowstone markers in the pavement.

H C G H

H C C H

H C C H

H C C H

H C C H

H C C H

H C C H

H G C H

Six distance to keep the symetry with adjoining paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Maybe Brad should check out the world seed Elysium mentioned earlier in the thread. It'd be nice to have most all biomes fairly close to spawn.
He has the seed for testing purposes. So we'll have to see what we come up with.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
¡Damned!

2012-03-01, 12:49

I'd rather the half stone be replaced with glowstone instead of the cobble, but yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too.

* plus, I'm totally giving you rep for that Alphabits shit when I get in front of a machine. Seeing that from you was the point I knew you were totally hooked.

So it goes.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-03-01, 14:58

1.2 is out!
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2012-03-01, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
1.2 is out!
No damnit! I need it to wait until next Saturday.

Hotel internet all next week.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-03-01, 15:29

make sure you save all your shiny stuff in a chest and not in your inventory, or else you wont be able to warp it to the new world
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-03-01, 16:01

Remember, we're not jumping to 1.2 until Bukkit is actually ready; despite the fact that their devs work for Mojang now, it'll probably still be a few days minimum before everything works right.

EDIT: Apparently the usual array of bugs managed to slip through to the official release; they're already up to version 1.2.2, and given the list of bugs still present in that release (from MinecraftWiki), I'd bet on at least one more bump in the next day or so.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-03-01, 16:10

lol, Notch!
I figured it'd be a little bit before we move, but i thought it might be a nice friendly reminder
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-03-01, 17:26

FWIW, there are already early dev builds of Bukkit ready for 1.2.2 with which I'll be experimenting later tonight (very much later, maybe tomorrow, because I'm working late at the office again today).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-01, 17:32

It would be cool if we could start our 3rd major* world on 3-3. It'd be like Cube World!

Because, y'know, it'd be made out of cubes.

*) Meaning a world I was a part of, of course.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-03-01, 17:51

Jeb, you mean.

Apparently, the 1000+ block spawn jump problem still exists in 1.22, so careful now...
¡Damned!

2012-03-02, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
1.2 is out!
1.2.3 is out!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-02, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It would be cool if we could start our 3rd major* world on 3-3. It'd be like Cube World!

Because, y'know, it'd be made out of cubes.

*) Meaning a world I was a part of, of course.
Noooooooo!!!!

That's the same night as Cardboard*Con!!!! ((

Edit: and I hadn't thought about how fitting the whole "cubed" thing was until you said it. Totally stealing it for an update to the CC page on Facebook.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-03-02, 10:36

Just a quick status update on my testing from last night:

Bukkit feels stable, but the APIs are currently changing (deprecating and cleaning up a lot of old cruft) meaning a bunch of old plugins are currently broken. For example, the plugin I used for copying chunks of stuff between worlds needs updating. That said, those plugins are luxuries we don't immediately need for a fresh world start.

Only two gotchas I saw in my testing:
1. It seemed that zero hostile mobs were naturally spawning in SMP. They'd spawn with eggs and mob spawners, but not on their own in the dark. I tried tweaking settings to no avail. Not sure if this is a MC or Bukkit bug (probably Bukkit).
2. Bukkit doesn't fully support the new "giant" tree type. I planted four saplings and added bonemeal, but it just created a normal tree.

I was originally thinking we'd start a fresh world over the weekend. What do you guys say? Can we live without hostiles and giant trees for a while? If so, I'll pick and announce a time for us all to get online to break ground.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2012-03-02, 11:00

Sounds good to me.

How long was it before spawn jumped in TN (or LG for that matter)? Days? Weeks? I honestly don't remember. I'm not going to start anything until it jumps, as I'd like our main city to be near spawn (ala BP).

Or is there a bukkit plug-in to set spawn?

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-03-02, 11:31

There are plugins that can set the spawn location. If we start a new world this weekend, I'll take measures to ensure spawn stays put (unless we decide later that we find a much better place).

Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2012-03-02, 11:50

I'd rather wait until the mobs spawn naturally, I feel like that's half the fun of a new world. That oh shit, the creeper is following me, and i have no weapons moment.

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-02, 13:15

I'm all for starting this weekend, as long as we're sure the giant trees will be able to grow later.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-03-02, 13:35

I'm with Steveuh: no point having a brave new frontier without danger around every corner.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-03-02, 15:03

Mobs would be good. That whole first night thing.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-03-02, 15:24

i'ma so far away....
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-03-02, 15:27

Another vote for waiting for mobs to be fixed, at least.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-03-02, 15:27

I can't do it Saturday night and I agree about the mobs thing.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-03-02, 15:48

OK, no starting until we have hostiles.

Maybe that means a vanilla server for a few days then instead...
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2012-03-02, 17:14

Looks like the mob spawning glitch was fixed in build 2014.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-02, 18:26

I like the idea of vanilla the first few days. Good option and what we did in the past too if I recall correctly.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-03-02, 18:50

What does Bukkit get us, that regular users use?

Warp and worldwarp...and what else? Excess drop clearing is unlikely to be needed for a little while. We can do without warping and world warping for a bit.

Yeah, Vanilla will be fine.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-03-02, 20:19

+1 to starting out vanilla for a few days. More of an incentive to, y'know, not die (since you'll have to run back to the group if you do).

Also, 1.2.3 is out now, which fixes the worst of the bugs still present in 1.2.2 (crashes above level 255, etc.). It seems to introduce a few new ones, though - blocks won't show the 'cracking' animation above sea level, among other things.
¡Damned!

2012-03-02, 21:48

All of the bugs from 1.2 - 1.2.3 seem rather silly imo. Jeb is starting to feel more and more like Notch in that IRON GOLEMS but no trees grow above [x] and spawn is still broken because wat.

I'm sure working on the fun stuff is more, erm.... fun, but Jesus, people. Fix the shit that is broked first.

I don't know, I'm not a coder, but I'm anal retentive - and I expect that that's a quality desired in coders as well. Not at Mojang apparently.

So it goes.