User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The TV Thread (for shows not called "Lost")
Page 33 of 33 First Previous 29 30 31 32 [33]  Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2023-08-10, 10:52

Legion snuck in a few dance numbers during its run, but they didn't feel so out of place since the show relied heavily on its (brilliant, imo) musical selections. The dance battle between Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza and Jemaine Clement was maybe the most out there, but in the context of the show it was mind-blowing.

One of my favorite TV series ever. Can't wait to see what Hawley has in store for his Alien series.

So it goes.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2023-08-11, 06:02

The last episode was a return to more familiar territory of not requiring kitchen utensils in eyes or ears. Might even be considered to be quite good with the introduction of a young scot

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-11, 06:15

Star Trek Strange New Worlds has been adventurous in the same spirit as the original series. I am an absolute fan.

¡Damned!

2023-09-08, 10:37

First teaser is up for Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, the new Godzilla series coming to Apple TV+ in November.

Kurt Russell and son Wyatt play the same character in two different eras, and we get to see John Goodman again before he gets et on Skull Island? Gotta admit, I'm pretty dang excited for this.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-09-08, 15:58

The new season of Crime Scene Confidential started up again this past Wednesday night on ID channel at 9pm, starring my favorite pink-haired forensic investigator/crime scene tech.

I watch Ahsoka on Tuesday night at 9m, the above on Wednesdays at 9pm and a vacation home remodel/improvement show on Saturdays at, you guessed it, 9pm.

That’s really it for my TV viewing. Anything else is just background noise/fuller (HGTV or Food Network nonsense), or ghost-hunting/supernatural idiocy on TRVL (formerly Travel Channel, aka Samantha Brown’s “traveling the world in a sundress and flip-flops” network. I miss her terribly, now that the channel is just walk-to-wall night-vision/“OMG, did you hear that?!?” ghost bullshit.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-11-02, 21:51

Fuck a duck.

Letterkenny is ending. The final season airs in December and then it's over.

https://www.avclub.com/letterkenny-e...ulu-1850988161

It's fucking embarrassing.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-11-02, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Fuck a duck.
Don't, you'll regret it.

Never understood the attraction to that show, it won't be missed.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-11-03, 05:49

Letterkenny was fascinating.

I fell into it during Covid times, and it was fun in a sophomoric way.

The ultimate glib.

The innuendo, the straight up profane.

The cliques and weirdos and freaks.

The virtuous farm folk, more clever than you'd guess.

A sharp, pugilistic version of Canadians we'd never heard about.

A never-ending stream of drop-dead gorgeous fuckworthy women, getting fucked by the hero farm boy who just happened to have a mysterious doppelgänger who's an ace hockey player.

The "it's complicated" life of the local goth/meth head.

The fighting, oh the fighting.

Over and over and over.

It just stopped being fun at some point.

I have not seen the last few seasons, and it will be tough to get back in that space to finish watching it.

At the end of the day I'm just beyond that humor?

This sophomoric moron has moved beyond Letterkenny.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-11-03, 08:06

Man, I’m out to lunch. I’ve never heard of this. At the suggestion of a friend, I checked out some of that Trailer Park Boys stuff and just hated everyone involved. It never clicked with me. No Canadian show ever has, for whatever reason. I don’t drink enough maple syrup, I guess? Hell, most of the output of my own country never has either, so hardly a huge surprise. I like a specific type of humor, drama, etc. and most shows, regardless of origin, just don’t have it. So I just keep the TV on HGTV or TRVL as background noise throughout the day, although both are fairly unwatchable anymore (morons remodeling their kitchens without a single clue how or unrealistically house-hunting, and nonstop ghost-hunting/paranormal fare)m, which is just fake, lying, ginned-up BS and endless stretches of cameras/microphones NOT picking up the “shadow figures” or voices the on-air talent claims to be experiencing)..

With as many cameras all in the world now, turned on/in use and places to host/share stuff (YouTube, Instagram), we’d know for 100% sure by now if half this shit - ghosts, Bigfoot, skin walkers, UFOs, chupacabras, lake monsters, etc. - truly existed or not. Funny how no definitive, unquestionable “proof” is never caught, leading me to only one conclusion…everyone’s imagination and storytelling capabilities outweigh their cameras’ abilities.

TV is so weird/complicated these days. “Seasons” are 6-8 episodes, there can be years between them, you never quite know where a show stands (is it coming back? Renewed? Canceled?) The whole “streaming” racket is annoying, viewer unfriendly and isn’t an improvement over anything.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-11-03 at 08:21.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-11-06, 12:54

I was prowling around Netflix a bit last night (no, I don’t know why either) and came across a thing called “Get Gotti”, which is a true-crime/documentary about the rise, and fall, of Guido in Chief, John Gotti. Looks to be three episodes in what they’re calling season 1. I watched the first. I’ll watch 2-3 later this evening.

You know the drill on this stuff…tons of archival footage/photographs, wiretap audio, crime scene photos, mugshots, shots of the NYC skyline, period music, etc.

Nothing new under the sun.

But I have such a deep interest in NY mafia stuff, that I’m compelled to watch anything in that ballpark. This episode focused on the assassination of Gambino family boss Paul Castelkano outside a NYC steakhouse in 1985, I think. And how Gotti, a member of the Gambino family/crew was behind it because he believed he was passed over for a promotion and that he believed his life was in danger because he was dabbling in the sake of coke and heroin, which old-timer Castellano expressly forbade, under penalty of death.

“That’s the thing with these old-school greaseballs. They don’t want nobody fuckin’ around with the drugs. It’s bad for business. You get pinched and the Feds try to get you to turn rat to knock off some jail time. It’s easier to just say “no drugs” and then whack out anyone who doesn’t obey. Keep it all in house, because once people starting workin’ with/for the cops/Feds, you can’t take a piss without wondering if today’s the day YOU get arrested.”

Imagine the above in a Scorsese-like Joe Pesci voiceover, because that’s exactly what the episode was conveying.

Anyway, Gotti is rising through the ranks to become the new boss. But he doesn’t do it quietly/low-key like the old-timers. He dresses up, drives flashy cars, loves the camera/news coverage, etc. which gets him sideways with others of the more “we don’t talk about this thing of ours” school of thought.

So interesting. Got anyone here into this stuff like I am, give it a watch. It’s just funny how those movies aren’t far off the mark. Everyone’s name ends in a vowel, everyone’s got a nickname, you gotta earn, and kick up to the boss, or it’s not gonna be a good day/week, these guys will fight/shoot each other over nothing.

“Hey, it’s the cost of doin’ businesssss…whaddya want from me?”

That workd exists. Maybe not as much as decades ago, but what a bunch of characters. Straight off the silver screen, some of them.

Netflix: Get Gotti. The NYOD OCTF (Organized Crime Task Force) broke into the social club Gotti hung out every day and placed some bugs. It’s crazy to hear those recordings and what these people talked about on a daily basis 24/7.

“Make that fat rat fuck disappear, do you understand?”, etc.

Disappeared, he did. They’d find him in multiple spots around the city, after a few years. Head in the Bronx, hands in States Island, legs over in Jersey, etc.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-11-06, 15:04

Watched Get Got last week. Really enjoyed that one.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-11-06, 16:43

I just finished the third episode. Finally got him. He was too arrogant and talked too much. Even when he knew there was a good chance his places were being bugged, he wouldn’t shut up.

Pride/ego/arrogance caused him to die in prison, instead of home with his family.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-11-06 at 17:57.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-11-16, 21:46

Monarch: Legacy of Monsters hit Apple+ tonight.

I hope it's going to be fun!

Because I am so tired of television

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-11-17, 00:26

But isn't where all the good stuff is happening? Or is that just something entertainment writers like to trot out? There's a lot of stuff out there, for sure. And a lot of it looks well made. Just more out there than anyone can reasonably be expected to watch/keep up with.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-11-17, 00:32

Did I already talk about this? There's a great documentary on Netflix about my favorite person on the planet, Keith Richards. It's called Keith Richards: Under the Influence, and it's just interviews with him and others, as he talks about his influences, hangs out with them, tells stories, plays music/records, etc.

I know the joke/temptation is to just think of him as a wasted inspiration for Jack Sparrow, but he's one of the most articulate, funny and grounded "famous people" I've ever seen/heard. Even if you're not a Stones/Richards fan, you'll probably like the doc because it's just so "real" and interesting/grounded, and a neat peek into someone a lot of people write off.

And you'll learn a lot about rock 'n' roll, blues and country music. If you've ever wanted to see Keith Richards warble a Merle Haggard(!) prison song on piano(!!), this doc is for you!

The man can talk about music like few others can. You can't help but like him, or want to hang around him.
¡Damned!

2023-11-17, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters hit Apple+ tonight.
Perfect timing! Anna's got a girl's night out tonight so imma get me some Detroit style with extra sausage and plant my ass down for the duration.

So excited.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-11-17, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Perfect timing! Anna's got a girl's night out tonight so imma get me some Detroit style with extra sausage and plant my ass down for the duration.

So excited.
Both of the first two episodes were solid.

I think it's going to be a fun one.

Also: I rewatched S2 of Slow Horses in preparation for this show to begin rolling into S3.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-02, 17:29

Fallout trailer is finally out. April 2024 release slated. I'm really looking forward to this. I fell in love with the Fallout world back when I got a steeply discounted Fallout 4 GOTY Edition.

I even started going back and playing older versions of the game but never really made it far with them. I might go back another time and try again... but not likely. Kinda like me and the Halo series.

Speaking of that, I saw some production notes about they are picking up season two of it. I hope they stay somewhat true to the lore, but you never know.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-02, 21:43

Just finished up S1 of Reacher on Prime at Dad’s. It was pretty enjoyable. Dude is a tank, which is apparently how he’s written in the books. What Hollywood nimrod decided midget Tom Cruise was a good choice for the two theatrical feature films?

I know casting movies isn’t always a 1:1 to the source material, but come on. Make the effort. Don’t be completely ridiculous/off-the-mark.

Unlike many, I like Cruise and don’t lose my mind at the mention of his name. In fact, he and those M:I movies are the only things bringing me to the multiplex in recent years,, now that Star Wars, Marvel, DC and 007 have all kinda shit the bed
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-03-06, 17:06

Constellation is… something. I don't really love it, but it has piqued my curiosity enough that I'll keep watching.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-03-06, 19:04

Yes I'm watching Constellation and it's interesting. It feels like I've seen this story before. Are you all caught up?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-03-07, 06:01

Quote:
It feels like I've seen this story before.
Spoiler (click to toggle):
If you're into the "what even is real" aspect, Apple also has Shining Girls, but I thought it kind of ebbed towards the end.

Quote:
Are you all caught up?

Watched ep 4 last night.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
The obvious thing to happen would be that she (more or less accidentally) murdered him in that scene, but I guess what they're really going for is that he survives, but has had it with her?

But that doesn't fully explain why the daughter ends up joining _her_ instead of him.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-04-01, 05:46

This weekend I watched the documentary about Steve Martin. It provides an interesting insight into his career, and a difficult relationship with his parents, notably his dad. At times it seemed like it was a real life version of The Jerk. I went into appreciating Steve Martin for his contributions to comedy, and came out of it appreciating Steve Martin for a human being who has found safe harbor with a family and a creative comedy partner.

Footnote: I was hoping that Constellation would be a one session show. But it isn't, and I'm wondering if it will get the pick up.