Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Blazer Layout?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Blazer Layout?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-01-06, 15:32

I was browsing this site from my Treo last night, and it took forever to load. How much work would it be to do a layout that was less graphics-intensive for PDA browsers?

I really don't know, so please don't flame me if the answer is obvious to all you web developers.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-01-06, 15:47

Yeah, Dave makes a good point. I'll be buying some kind of PDA soon, and a text-only version of AppleNova (like vB's "archive" feature) would be awesome.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Batman

2006-01-06, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Yeah, Dave makes a good point. I'll be buying some kind of PDA soon, and a text-only version of AppleNova (like vB's "archive" feature) would be awesome.
The current archive is pretty good for text based browsing, but it doesn't have any posting ability. Utter Stupidity : Of course, to make it so you could post through a text-based environment would require some tweaking of vB's base code.

Edit : (15:15:17) Atomicbartbeans: i'm curious... how would a text interface require vB code tweaking? i think brad would just have to make a new theme

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.

Last edited by Batman : 2006-01-06 at 16:15.
HOM
The Elder™

2006-01-06, 16:58

Using Oprea mini on my new phone has been a breeze. I turned off images, but it runs just fine and loads up in about 3-5 seconds. I've had no problems posting from it.

Depending on your provider you might want to look into a proxy service. When I had my treo I used a proxy to downsample the images and it went much faster.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-11, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I was browsing this site from my Treo last night, and it took forever to load. How much work would it be to do a layout that was less graphics-intensive for PDA browsers?

I really don't know, so please don't flame me if the answer is obvious to all you web developers.
I actually started a slimmed-down, "low-graphics and high-contrast" version of AppleNova a while ago when I made the new current theme. I intend to work on it more when I can make the time. Are there any guidelines I should follow for simulating a PDA browser? What's the general size? Do they run a variant of IE or something else?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
HOM
The Elder™

2006-01-11, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I actually started a slimmed-down, "low-graphics and high-contrast" version of AppleNova a while ago when I made the new current theme. I intend to work on it more when I can make the time. Are there any guidelines I should follow for simulating a PDA browser? What's the general size? Do they run a variant of IE or something else?
KICK ASS!!!

If I'm not mistaken there is a plugin for VB that allows it to generate WAP pages. HoFo and TreoCentral both use it for a their pages.

http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...php?styleid=12

Or

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108640

Please make this happen and I'll be forever grateful.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-01-11, 13:32

How'd Brad get banned?!?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-11, 13:36

Chuck Norris did it.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited