User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Did the previous version of MacOS have DLL Hell problem?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Did the previous version of MacOS have DLL Hell problem?
BlueApple

2006-09-03, 05:36

1.) Did the previous version of MacOS (MacOS 9, and eariler) have DLL problem?

2.) Another related question: Did it have registery?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-09-03, 06:02

1.) No, though you could have problems with mutually incompatible extensions. This sometimes was a real pain in the *ss, because they could only be disabled at startup. So, if you had an instability which you believe was caused by some extension, you had to reboot untill you found the culprit.

2.) No

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-03, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
1.) No, though you could have problems with mutually incompatible extensions. This sometimes was a real pain in the *ss, because they could only be disabled at startup. So, if you had an instability which you believe was caused by some extension, you had to reboot untill you found the culprit.
Occasionally, that turned out to be pretty easy.

I once installed a control panel that supposedly would allow me to run non-native resolutions on my iBook's LCD. When I selected one and restarted to make it take effect, I came back to a totally black screen. Restarted again, same black screen.

Restarted once more, holding down the shift key to keep extensions turned off, and it started up fine. Went to the last thing I installed (that control panel... duh ), moved it out of its folder, restarted one last time, and everything was back to normal.

Waiting for each boot sequence was, by far, the longest part of the process. It literally took me about ten seconds of "work" to make the fix.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-09-03, 09:20

Because you knew what caused the conflict.
I remember the hell I had to go through to keep my network, internet and scanner working alongside ProTools and it's accompanying funky digidesign hardware.
The final solution incorporated luck (booting sometimes kept failing, as well as launching ProTools) and not plugging the scanner in it's USB-port before the computer was completely booted up.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-03, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
Because you knew what caused the conflict.
Yup, I sure did.

Simple, one-panel install & a virtually closed system FTW

I didn't have a printer until this year, though, when I brought back my mom & dad's old Epson from visiting over Christmas. Thankfully it works without hassle.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-09-03, 10:59

Anybody remember Conflict Catcher? It would do a binary search of your extensions to figure out which one (or group, together) was causing you problems. It would keep track of which to enable and disable between reboots until the culprit(s) were discovered. It was pretty cool. I definitely remembering needing it on more than one occasion to find which two installed extensions were giving me trouble because they were not compatible with one another.

Ugh.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2006-09-03, 12:16

This thread may be of interest...
Does MacOS X have Windows-Registry equivalent?

Edit: Ooo, and this one too...
Will Apple ever implement a program manager??