User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Adobe CS5
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-05-03, 14:58

It's out now, so it's new thread time. Post anything about CS5 here, the more info the better. I got the 30 day trial going on a couple machines at work, we're going to see how well it works in a production environment.

Issue #1: Since Adobe seems to feel that changing the file format with every major release is necessary, CS5 files are not compatible with CS4 files, which are not compatible with CS3 files. We need CS5 docs to work in CS3. The only workaround we've found so far is to export an InDesign CS5 file as an IDML, which can be read by CS4 and converted again to a CS3-compatible file.

Pretty obnoxious and not a workable solution for us since we only have two CS4 licenses and they're on machines that are in a separate room. As if to add insult to injury, we will also be charged more to upgrade to CS5 from CS3 than we would if we were upgrading from CS4. Way to punish your customers, Adobe.

Overall the suite seems to be faster and more solid from what I can tell. We need more time to test it but it's promising. The content aware fill and the new refine edges tools are nice and we can definitely use them here. We're always having to remove things from property-supplied art and photos. Even a photoshop nub like me was able to get decent results with the content aware fill.

Anybody else have experiences to share?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-05-03, 15:42

I might snag that Illustrator try-out, just to see. I've actually only used CS and CS 2 (and lightly dabbled in Photoshop CS3 about two years ago). So I really know nothing about CS3 and 4, and 5 will probably blow my mind.

I've fallen so far out of the loop over the years...Photoshop seemed to get more like Illustrator, Illustrator seemed to get more like Photoshop, I don't know what in the hell is going on with GoLive/Dreamweaver, InDesign is nice but I find myself launching Pages more and more for any "quick 'n' easy" text-based projects for myself, friends or family.

I probably wouldn't even know where to begin in Illustrator CS5, especially having not ever used 3 or 4.