Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Building a PC

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Building a PC
faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-06-22, 19:29

This summer, I've decided that I'm going to build myself a nice little box that I can play with. I'd like some input from you guys to see if I can improve, save a little here or there, if I missed anything or if anything is incompatible. I checked, but I can make mistakes. I plan on running Linux on it, probably Gentoo. Any input on OS choice would be appreciated, as well as a use for this box.

NewEgg wishlist here

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think

Last edited by faramirtook : 2005-06-22 at 21:14.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-22, 19:51

Working link.

The case could be a bit better... often times a little extra fit and finish goes a long way towards how much you like the system. Put it in a crap case and you'll hate it, put it in a good one and you'll like it. I'd suggest spending about an extra $30 on the case. Nothing fancy or expensive, but maybe something a *little* bit nicer than that ugly Rosewill crap. Since you have a microATX motherboard, maybe you'd enjoy a microATX case as well? I've heard good things about Inwin cases.

The other thing is that graphics card. Don't even bother with the GeForce MX4000 (just a rebadged GeForce 4MX). The motherboard you selected has an integrated S3 video chipset, so if you don't care about graphics performance you should just save your money and use that. If you do want a little graphics performance, get something a little nicer than a GeForce 4. There are several options for cards that are still very cheap but perform better:

GeForce FX5200
GeForce FX5500
Radeon 9250
Radeon 9550

All but the 9250 support Pixel Shader 2.0 and DirectX 9. None are super performers but they're not too bad either... if you have any desire to do any gaming with this box, any of the following should run current games fairly well at medium settings, especially the Radeon 9550. They're not exactly "future-proof," but it doesn't sound like you're making a gaming box anyway. As long as you make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you don't get one with a 64-bit memory interface (128-bit is a must), any of those should be much better than a GeForce 4MX.

And while I realize that you're probably saying you don't care about graphics performance, I still say you should avoid the GeForce 4MX, if only to convince companies to STOP F*CKING MAKING THEM!!! They're awful cards, outdated when they came out and even worse now.

PS. I should mention you picked a good motherboard/processor combo. Semprons are great low-end chips that'll still easily handle anything you throw at them, and they absolutely molest comparably-priced Celerons. Of course I'd love to suggest going with Socket 939 and an Athlon 64, it's ridiculous and you don't need that kind of performance. Save your money.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-06-22 at 19:57.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-06-22, 20:55

Revised Wish List
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-22, 21:23

MORE POWER!!!!

Get a bigger power supply...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-22, 21:47

MicroATX is limited in the power supply department. For this computer, 300W is more than enough. I ran a much higher-end system (A64 3000+, GeForce 6800, three hard drives, two opticals) from a 350W power supply with no problems. Granted, I had an Antec which is probably a whole lot better than the one in that case, but it'll do.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-06-22, 21:48

Wrong forum, and possibly wrong board. Even if hell did freeze over and Macs will be using Intel in the future, building PCs seems somehow outside the scope of this place.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-06-22 at 21:50.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-06-22, 21:50

Durr... thanks.

If discussing the relative merits of various ass-cleaning methods (bidet vs. toilet paper) is within the scope of these forums, then I think discussing a PC build is okay too. But just like the toilet threads, if the PC building threads get out of hand, they'll start to get locked.

That said, this isn't exactly the best place to discuss this sort of thing. While there are several people who have experience building PCs, no one here can really compare to some of the guys at the PC enthusiast websites like Ars Technica. Ask the same question over there and you'll probably get a much more useful reply. I'm not 100% sure if Inwin cases are great... I have heard good things about them but someone there will surely be able to tell you if they're actually any good or not.

Last edited by Luca : 2005-06-22 at 21:57.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-06-23, 17:18

That's why I posted to "Apple Outsider" in the beginning, because it is the only non-Mac forum.