WMP for Mac & DRM

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
WMP for Mac & DRM
greenhybrid

2005-07-20, 22:05

What in the world...?
Quote:
WE'RE SORRY!

In order to offer a broad selection of full-length music videos on-demand and free of charge, MTV Overdrive uses Windows Digital Rights Management (DRM) to protect videos from unauthorized re-distribution.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's Windows Media Player Plug-in for Macintosh does not support Windows DRM. If DRM support becomes available for Macintosh, MTV will develop a version of MTV Overdrive that works on a Mac.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-20, 22:43

Yes? It seems pretty straightforward to me.

Windows Media DRM is only available on... drumroll please... Windows!

You can thank Microsoft for that.
greenhybrid

2005-07-20, 22:48

I'm wondering why this would be true. Microsoft playing more hardball?
LAmezq3984

2005-07-20, 22:55

yeah, I've had a lot of problems with DRM on my mac. I don't understand why Microsoft does that. Quicktime works fully on both platforms and restricts on both platforms (Pro version).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-20, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhybrid
I'm wondering why this would be true. Microsoft playing more hardball?
Yeah, that's about it.

The Mac version of Windows Media Player is a pale attempt at programming anyway. It's very telling that a small third-party startup company like Flip4Mac can make a QuickTime component for Windows Media playback (non-DRM'ed files only, of course) that works 1000x better than Microsoft's own software. Heck, Flip4Mac's software will even export to WMP format!

It just goes to show how much Microsoft really cares about its Mac users.

Shoot, the standalone Real Player for Mac is leaps and bounds better (for rm files) than WMP for Mac (is for wm files) in terms of reliability, performance, and features. WMP for Mac is an app I would personally be ashamed to release if I was its developer.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.