Stuff to which you are addicted
Page 4 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-06, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Roboman: it could be Coca-Cola doesn't sell Georgia here because they're the American distributor for Illy Issimo.
I have never heard of that in my life. If Coke is supposed to be distributing it, they're doing a horrible job, because as per their web site I can't get it anywhere near my zip code

Even without pricing information I can't help but also feel that Illy Issimo seems to be quite a bit upmarket, competing more with Starbucks' bottled beverages, and could likely be sold alongside Georgia. I mean, you're not going to see an Illy Issimo machine anywhere.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Ryan
Veteran Member

2009-05-06, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I have never heard of that in my life. If Coke is supposed to be distributing it, they're doing a horrible job, because as per their web site I can't get it anywhere near my zip code

Even without pricing information I can't help but also feel that Illy Issimo seems to be quite a bit upmarket, competing more with Starbucks' bottled beverages, and could likely be sold alongside Georgia. I mean, you're not going to see an Illy Issimo machine anywhere.
I've only seen it in California so far but it's definitely marketed to the same segment as Starbucks' bottled beverages.
artesc

2009-05-06, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I mean, there is an art to making a fine coffee but unless you go to an independent coffeehouse you're not going to get that anyway. How would a bottler making coffee be any different than the Starbucks barista making it with a push-button machine from a premade "beverage base"? It wouldn't - the only thing that's different is the image, the illusion. And everybody knows that. When you go to Starbucks you aren't paying five bucks for a Vivanno, you're paying five bucks for going to Starbucks - the comfy seats, the jazzy music, the friendly people, the quaint image of a small-town cafe with chalkboard menus. The image of it all, that "third place" between home and work, that's what you're paying for. And everybody knows this because nobody in their right mind would pay five bucks for Starbucks's actual coffee, let's be real.
And this is exactly why I never drink Starbucks. It sucks and the image it projects of itself makes me nauseas. If I want mediocre coffee, I'll go to 7-11 and get a cup of 99 cent coffee (and a Danish for only 29 cents more!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Roboman: it could be Coca-Cola doesn't sell Georgia here because they're the American distributor for Illy Issimo.

They make a bit much of themselves on that website don't they? It's freaking coffee in a can, not Jesus-Juice.

artesc all the way!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-06, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesc View Post
And this is exactly why I never drink Starbucks. It sucks and the image it projects makes nauseas. If I want mediocre coffee, I'll go to 7-11 and get a cup of 99 cent coffee (and a Danish for only 29 cents more!).
"Grabbing a coffee" and "going to Starbucks" are completely separate in my mind. I mean, I do go to Starbucks, every once in a while, and when I go there I do buy a drink, because it seems like I sort of owe them that much if I'm going to be using their space. But that's not why I go - I go there because I want to get out of the house and want a comfy place I can just chill and write and draw or whatever. (That's why, when I do go there, I usually get a "treat" drink, like a Vivanno. I know it's not coffee, but I'm not going there for coffee.)

I like Starbucks because the people there are nice and they treat their employees well but their coffee is merely average. Not bad, per se, but not worth the price in and of itself. Again, I don't think that's a shock to many people.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-05-06, 20:54

Quote:
They make a bit much of themselves on that website don't they? It's freaking coffee in a can, not Jesus-Juice.
I do like the splatter rollover effect on the cans. It's like a crime scene and anorexic Italian models together at last! Or, wait, maybe it's a bulimia thing.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
¡Damned!

2009-05-06, 20:58

I'm not sure if *addicted* applies in my case, but I love teh alcoholic beverages, and once or twice a week (once, lately, because I'm working so much ) I'm of the persuasion to get out of my mind; that is, fuckered up. Sadly, I'm not really able to slash and burn as much as I used to (again, work is keeping me busy *knocks on wood*) but I do enjoy the occasional leaving of Planet Earth when times allow.

I should clarify. I love the progression. That is, I love (and hate, safe dif) the progressive oddness my mind wanders to after every drink. The fullness of imaginative scenarios, right there, in front of me, so real that I catch myself mouthing the words. The warmth of the surrounding crowd, where before the drink they were cold and unfamiliar. I loathe the drunkard, honestly, but I love the drunk.

I don't know. I love talking to people and looking into their eyes. Most drinkers are liars, but there are a very few wheat nuggets that escape the chaff and have a story. That's what I live for.

So it goes.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-05-06, 21:03

coffee and 80's thrash metal CD's.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2009-05-22, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm not sure if *addicted* applies in my case, but I love teh alcoholic beverages, and once or twice a week (once, lately, because I'm working so much ) I'm of the persuasion to get out of my mind; that is, fuckered up. Sadly, I'm not really able to slash and burn as much as I used to (again, work is keeping me busy *knocks on wood*) but I do enjoy the occasional leaving of Planet Earth when times allow.

I should clarify. I love the progression. That is, I love (and hate, safe dif) the progressive oddness my mind wanders to after every drink. The fullness of imaginative scenarios, right there, in front of me, so real that I catch myself mouthing the words. The warmth of the surrounding crowd, where before the drink they were cold and unfamiliar. I loathe the drunkard, honestly, but I love the drunk.

I don't know. I love talking to people and looking into their eyes. Most drinkers are liars, but there are a very few wheat nuggets that escape the chaff and have a story. That's what I live for.
i've never heard the process of "getting drunk" described so poetically. For someone turning 21 in under 3 months, that was beautiful.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-05-23, 03:15

Caffeine and Nicotine are longtime morning regulars, but I'm trying to run them off.

Chewing niccy gum rather than lighting deathstix today. Even drinking decaf to help lower stress while weaning myself off smokes.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-05-23, 09:20

Twiitter.
SpecMode
Wait what

2009-05-23, 09:30

Twitter here as well, but here's an odd one to add to the mix: headphones. Specifically, I've somehow managed to collect some half-dozen pairs of head/earphones just in the past few months. Heck, just today I picked up a pair of Grado SR125s at Yodobashi in Yokohama, in my apparently neverending quest for aural bliss (without completely breaking the bank in the process).

I can't wait to get back to the States, so I can continue the process of replacing all of my AAC/MP3 CD rips in iTunes with Apple Lossless. Yes, I am obsessed.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-05-23, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Twitter here as well, but here's an odd one to add to the mix: headphones. Specifically, I've somehow managed to collect some half-dozen pairs of head/earphones just in the past few months. Heck, just today I picked up a pair of Grado SR125s at Yodobashi in Yokohama, in my apparently neverending quest for aural bliss (without completely breaking the bank in the process).

I can't wait to get back to the States, so I can continue the process of replacing all of my AAC/MP3 CD rips in iTunes with Apple Lossless. Yes, I am obsessed.
The wallet doesn't start to hurt until you start looking at Amps.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-01-20, 20:57

This is a pretty interesting thread. I re-read most of it just now and discovered that I had had an addiction to Klondike bars awhile back. I haven't had one or even thought of one for a very long time.

Well, my current addiction has been to grilled cheese sandwiches. I make them with seeded rye bread and colby longhorn cheese. Yum. They are very good, and I'm going to make one for dinner in about an hour.

I think this addiction will be ending soon though, because it has been going on for about three weeks and I sense a point of satiation approaching in the not too distant future.

I am curious to know if any other members read about addictions they had mentioned in this thread but that they have long forgotten about - as I had forgotten about the Klondike bars.

An addiction that I apparently will *never* get over is the one I have for Jane Marple, Hercule Poirot, and Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes. At present, I've been listening to an audiobook version of Holmes stories on a CD player I have in the kitchen, so that all the time I spend cooking or cleaning is also spent listening to great stories. My DVD player in the living room at the moment contains a Poirot story called Murder in Mesopotamia, which is part of DVD set I own.

I'm not sure why Marple, Poirot and Holmes are so addictive. I know I really like stories that take place in different eras of time, as opposed to stories about modern/real-life crime, because real-life crime is all too close around us as it is. Stories from different eras and locations around the world are more enjoyable to me.

Oh, and this is Thursday, so Sherlock Holmes is on PBS tonight! Yay!!!
murbot
Hoonigan

2011-01-20, 21:03

I'm addicted to cold turkey.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2011-01-20, 22:14

Maynard's Wine Gums, Cocaine, Grass, & Earl Grey Tea.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-01-20, 22:14

minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft

There is nothing but minecraft.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-01-20, 22:16

After three days, I would have to say that $#%@! Angry Birds game. But I've just about made my way through it all...

I may as well have spent that $4.99 on a backpack full of meth. I'm seeing (and hearing) it in my sleep, people. Friggin' birds...in a slingshot. Who invents this crap?
Bonn89

2011-01-20, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft minecraft

There is nothing but minecraft.
QFT.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-01-21, 16:03

*raises hand*

Guilty of Minecraft too.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-01-21, 16:33

For those looking for a healthier diet, I can think of no better start than cutting all the mass-produced, high fructose, chemical franken-colas out of your life and drinking this instead. Once you get a taste (there's also a lemon-twist variant), you are pwnt.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2011-01-21, 16:53

I drank ginger beer for a little while when I was in high school. It's just too intense though. I stick to Dr. Pepper (regular or diet), and not that often. Maybe once a week at most.

Oh, and I am addicted to video games in general. I feel like a junkie when I start playing anything. The other night I started to get really tired but it wasn't late enough that I wanted to go to bed yet, so I flipped on the computer and started playing Dirt 2... immediately I perked up and felt like myself again. Kinda scary.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-01-24, 23:18

My Bloody Valentine's, Loveless. That album's not in constant rotation for me anymore but once I hear it again, I'm hooked. It's gotten to the point that I'm thinking about buying the CD version so I can rip it in Apple Lossless and getting a new pair of headphones to listen to every nook and cranny of it. It's brilliant. I feel like a junkie who is thinking about getting a new kit to shoot up with.

The drumming on The National's latest album, High Violet, is getting up there. Tight.

edit: it's so bad that when I'm in its thrall, I think "I should be listening to it" (it being Loveless) any time I'm listening to anything else. I have made my 3 year-old listen to the guitar bending with me. He's got good musical tastes but he didn't quite get it. I think it's because he wasn't wearing headphones.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-01-25, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post

[...]

Well, my current addiction has been to grilled cheese sandwiches. I make them with seeded rye bread and colby longhorn cheese. Yum. They are very good, and I'm going to make one for dinner in about an hour.

I think this addiction will be ending soon though, because it has been going on for about three weeks and I sense a point of satiation approaching in the not too distant future.

[...]
Try some variations. Grill it with a few thin slices of hot green pepper inside (medium hot; fresh, not pickled). Or try it with a few slices of tomato. For the tomato, to avoid overdoing it, you lift up a slice and add it only for the last minute of grilling. For the pepper, you add it right from the start of grilling.

One of my own absolute lifelong addictions is good bread, especially sourdough bread. Some good local ones are available around here, but I also have my own sourdough starter to make it myself.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-01-25, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Try some variations. Grill it with a few thin slices of hot green pepper inside (medium hot; fresh, not pickled). Or try it with a few slices of tomato. For the tomato, to avoid overdoing it, you lift up a slice and add it only for the last minute of grilling. For the pepper, you add it right from the start of grilling.

One of my own absolute lifelong addictions is good bread, especially sourdough bread. Some good local ones are available around here, but I also have my own sourdough starter to make it myself.
Thank you for the suggestions about perking up the sandwiches, Chinney. I'd have to go mild on the green pepper though, because my mouth is very tender and hot stuff tends to cauterize the whole interior of my mouth and sears my taste buds into a state of oblivion.

Wrt bread though, yum. Fresh, homemade is so wonderful. I used to bake fresh bread (cracked wheat) every day; but I cheated, because I used a bread machine. I did buy some baking stones, which are supposed to give the bread an extra crunchy texture for the crust. So far, I've only used the stones for pizza and not for bread, but I'll get around to bread eventually. Makes my mouth water just thinking about crusty French bread. Mmmm....

I used to use the machine to make dough for absolutely divine hot cinnamon rolls. Intensely scrumptious.

Wrt other addictions I'd forgotten to mention, I've been buying green tea in vast quantities and drink hot green tea with half and half at least three times a day.

For awhile there, I was cultivating an addiction to shrimp at a quaint old restaurant in a nearby town. The shrimp is wonderful, but the cocktail sauce is heavenly - homemade, and with an exquisite, sinus-clearing tang of horseradish.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-01-25, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post

I've gotten hooked on a really twisted variant of grilled cheese... take lefse, Norwegian potato flour flatbread (kind of like a thick tortilla), slap some cheese between two layers, and toss it in a hot griddle with a bit of butter until the cheese melts and the lefse browns slightly - this will take about 90 seconds. The potato, cheese, and butter end up tasting like the absolute best parts of a twice baked potato with cheese on top.

Quick, easy *and* fattening! Huzzah!

It's like the world's strangest quesadilla.
arteggio

2011-01-26, 09:34

Green tea and grilled cheese go for me too, though I'm going to have to try these grilled cheese variations. I've only gone so far as to try to imitate the version of a small family-owned restaurant/pub in my area with little success; I can never seem to get the bread dry and crispy...

Plus, macaroni and cheese, Hard Rock style. The hint of cayenne and the blend of Velveeta (egh) and the cheddar and monterey jack liven it up, in a smooth way. Best macaroni and cheese I've ever had, I think.

Then there's Penn Station, a chain sandwich restaurant that opened up in my area. I had never had them before, and being a sometimes-simple person I got their club (minus bacon — hope that doesn't offend anyone) and think it's exquisite. It makes Subway feel like the McDonalds version of some high-quality burger restaurant.

Oh, and Minecraft.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-01-26, 09:59

-Twitter
-Tea Cooler (Iced Tea & Lemonade mixed, aka: an "Arnold Palmer"
-Double Stuf Oreos
-DiGiorno Pizza
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-01-26, 19:25

- Still WoW, but it's not as severe an addiction as before.
- Roberto's tacos. OMG.
- Doing creative things when the inspiration hits. Sometimes that's photography or writing or video editing or songwriting/playing or hanging pictures, but whatever it is, I'm completely addicted to it when I get the inspiration. I've stayed up all night on a work night before because of that.
- Hugging my dog.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-01-26, 19:34

-seltzer
-soup dumplings
-king of the hill
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-01-26, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I've gotten hooked on a really twisted variant of grilled cheese... take lefse, Norwegian potato flour flatbread (kind of like a thick tortilla), slap some cheese between two layers, and toss it in a hot griddle with a bit of butter until the cheese melts and the lefse browns slightly - this will take about 90 seconds. The potato, cheese, and butter end up tasting like the absolute best parts of a twice baked potato with cheese on top.
I love potato, butter, and cheese together, so your grilled cheese lefse sounds incredibly appealing. What kind of market might carry this potato-flour flatbread? Or is this a homemade item; and, if so, could you post the recipe here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
-Tea Cooler (Iced Tea & Lemonade mixed, aka: an "Arnold Palmer"
Thanks for the mention. I definitely plan to try this tea cooler. It sounds tangy, refreshing, and yes, absolutely addictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
-
- Hugging my dog.
Awwww. I love dogs.