AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Stuff to which you are addicted

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Stuff to which you are addicted
Page 1 of 7 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-09-18, 19:17

The late Patrick O'Brian wrote a series of naval adventure novels, 20 or 21 volumes, set during the Napoleonic Wars (1803). They involve a British sea captain named Jack Aubrey and his friend, naval surgeon, Stephen Maturin. The Russell Crowe movie Master and Commander was based on two of these novels.

I read the series a few years back and became addicted to the books at the time. Just lately, I have been checking out the CD audio versions from the library and listening to each novel as I work in the kitchen or clean the house.

I just discovered this afternoon that once again I am addicted to this series of novels. Thank god that I am only on volume no. 6 or so, and have plenty more to go, because I find that I simply must have *more* after this volume... and then, even more after that!

Wrt other addictions...

At one point, some years ago, I became addicted to chocolate chip cookies. I made the dough from scratch, kept it in the fridge, and every day I would come home from work and bake two big cookies in the oven. I would have to eat them with a fork from a plate, because I liked these cookies when they were warm, with the chocolate chips all melty and delicious. Fortunately, this addiction eventually ran its course, and I haven't made those cookies from scratch in ages.

So, is there anything to which you are even mildly addicted?

Thanks for any replies.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-09-18, 19:22

cigarettes
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-09-18, 19:23

Yes, AN Macs,The internet, TV, And Sex (well i was 36 years ago )
¡Damned!

2008-09-18, 19:27

Freezie-Pops. I buy the cases of 200 at Sam's Club and go through about 6-10 a day.

Marathon. Once I start my annual journey through the trilogy I cannot be budged for food or fire.

So it goes.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-09-18, 19:48

Oh, *these* things are good. I love the combination of orange and cream; but, lately, I think I prefer the raspberry/cream, because the contrast is a bit more tangy between the berry flavor and the vanilla ice cream. Yum.

¡Damned!

2008-09-18, 19:57

I like those too. Especially the orange ones.

I usually stock at least 3 or 4 pints of Ben & Jerry's and Häagen-Dazs for my ice-cream fixation, but currently I have a dozen Dilly Bars in my freezer. 6 chocolate and 6...um...red. I haven't been able to figure out what flavor they are yet, but they're yummy.

[edit]: The internet says they're cherry. OK. They don't taste like cherry, but whatever. What they taste like to me is red.

So it goes.
judeobscure

2008-09-18, 20:04

Tea! Iced or hot and any variety.
Poirot or Marple I cannot resist watching or reading em.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-09-18, 20:12

I was going to say "The internet". But upon reflecting on it a bit, can we still consider copious internet usage to be an addiction?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-18, 20:25

Dr. Pepper or Cherry Rain Gatorade (it used to be Fierce Berry, but, of course, they up and quit making it). It was like Black Cherry Kool-Aid x1,000 and I miss it terribly. This Cherry Rain (is that a Prince song or movie? Should be...) flavor is a close second, which means it'll be discontinued any day now.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-09-18 at 20:35.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-09-18, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeobscure View Post
Poirot or Marple I cannot resist watching or reading em.
Oh yeah. I *love* Poirot and Marple. Glad to know I have some company. I like the Sherlock Holmes series too, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I like those too. Especially the orange ones.

I usually stock at least 3 or 4 pints of Ben & Jerry's and Häagen-Dazs for my ice-cream fixation, but currently I have a dozen Dilly Bars in my freezer. 6 chocolate and 6...um...red. I haven't been able to figure out what flavor they are yet, but they're yummy.

[edit]: The internet says they're cherry. OK. They don't taste like cherry, but whatever. What they taste like to me is red.
Cherry is an excellent flavor. Sometimes I'll buy those Smith Bros. cherry cough drops when I'm at the cash register, because they are just cherry flavored candy basically, no medicine at all.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-09-18, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
...it'll be discontinued any day now.
Someone high up in Gatorade doesn't like you or what?

As for addiction, it's energy drink, usually Full Throttle Blue Demon. Gotta have to chuck it as I don't really need the caffeine binge anymore.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-18, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Someone high up in Gatorade doesn't like you or what?
I don't know, but I used to special order (just for me from my local store) the Fierce Berry flavor by the case. They'd call me when they got a box in. I'm probably in their annual reports somewhere..."sales are unusually strong in Southeastern Tennessee...".

I was being a wiseguy about that new flavor I've come to like being discontinued; but I just went to Gatorade's site and there's no mention of the cherry-flavored Rain...just lime, tangerine and berry. The red cherry bottle/graphic is no longer there.

Guess I need to stock up this weekend.

"Gimme all you got!"

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-09-18, 23:08

Ever since moving into my new apartment, incense. I don't know why, it just smells so *good*, and it's so much fun to play with the smoke with your hand.

You ask me for a hamburger.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2008-09-18, 23:22

I'm addicted to running. And red Gatorade G2. I thought it was gimicky when it first came out, but after drinking it for a while I have come to really like it.

I still have to run though... I'll start to feel clammy and tense if I haven't run for a day or two.
Noel

2008-09-18, 23:34

Rice-a-roni Rice Pilaf. Only boxed rice I'll even touch, but good lord is it delicious.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-09-19, 00:43

Diet Dr. Pepper.
AWR
Veteran Member

2008-09-19, 01:31

I'm pretty addicted to "Alioli", a Catalan garlic mayonnaise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allioli

Typically it is served with grilled lamb or sausage, or with fideua (a kind-of paella made with small pieces of pasta instead of rice). However, my addiction forces me to have a bit of it on almost anything/everything - it is especially good on the side of a plate of spaghetti tossed simply with good olive oil, salt, crushed red pepper and either fresh basil or parsely or a pinch of dried oregano, and parmesan. Also orgasmic with roasted chicken and/or roasted potatoes.

Last edited by AWR : 2008-09-19 at 02:25. Reason: Fixin the Ingrish!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-09-19, 03:21

Coffee anyone?

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-09-19, 07:02

Dark Chocolate.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-19, 07:55

Learning. I get bored with life in general if I go more than a week or so without learning something interesting. If I go several weeks without learning something new, I actually experience something along the lines of withdrawal.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2008-09-19, 08:00

Caffine, chocolate, Air Conditioning and the internet.

In the past few weeks we lost power for a total of 8 days (thanks to hurricane Gustav and Ike) and I was going through internet withdrawal.

You're looking at eons of repression getting purged. If only they'd let us jerk off.

Beware the man of one book. ~ Saint Thomas Aquinas
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2008-09-19, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Coffee anyone?

Yup. And proud of it.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-09-19, 08:04

AppleNova
AWR
Veteran Member

2008-09-19, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Learning. I get bored with life in general if I go more than a week or so without learning something interesting. If I go several weeks without learning something new, I actually experience something along the lines of withdrawal.
Ohnnoooooooozzzzzzzzz! New Glasses, Moniker, a real makeover!

The Morning Coffee. The Morning Hot Shower.

I'm an empty shell for the day w/o those two.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-19, 08:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
Ohnnoooooooozzzzzzzzz! New Glasses, Moniker, a real makeover!
Actually, I ditched the specs. They were uncomfortable, so they're getting returned. Did I mention I'm also addicted to compulsive decisions? The glasses were basically an impulse purchase. I would have stayed with it if they'd been comfortable, but they're not.

Less serious things I'm addicted to: AN, twitter and the news. I feel like I have to know what's going on all the time. I guess that and the learning thing would go under a larger umbrella of information addiction.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-09-19, 08:59

Tea, the computer, and the internet. Having a non-working Mac, a non-working Windows desktop, and having the computer lab close at 9PM every night has been TORTURE the last month. TORTURE, I say. At least I still have my tea. (Except for where I can never find Stash Orange Spice in stores, but my boss lets me take home 2 teabags every day I work 'cause my work is cool like that...)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-09-19, 09:34

Both your computers died?! Awww, that's a bummer.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2008-09-19, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Coffee anyone?

Yup. My roommate is tired of me brewing a put of coffee every morning while he's asleep. Not my fault he doesn't have any morning classes.

I drink a mug-full in my dorm and then fill up my travel thermos for class. I'm always the only awake person in 8:30 calculus.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-09-19, 09:38

I can see how it must be difficult to sleep once the aroma drifts up his nostrils.

nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-09-19, 10:43

Most things Apple related generally keep me poor.

But on the other hand i am pretty much addicted to milk. I know its a bit of a child's drink but i can easily get through 16 pints a week on my own, which concerns my doctor a bit. In fact one day i had this allergic reaction to something (never did find out what) and i panicked thinking if i suddenly became allergic to milk, how would i live me life??