AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Favorite Music Videos (and why)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Favorite Music Videos (and why)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
rasmits
rams it

2007-08-26, 11:59

Can't believe there hasn't been a favorite music video thread! Well, there is now!

This isn't about 'the best videos of all time'. That's too subjective. Basically, just post links to your favorites and tell us why you like 'em! I'll start:

I love the song and the video is just perfect. Very visual, always moving. I love it!
Yes, it's a Beatles cover, and it's also one of the only political videos I've actually liked. The imagery is rather graphic for a mainstream music video and I remember feeling pretty strongly about it when I first saw it. Most music videos don't do that.
This video is so cute. It's entirely hand made by the lead singer if I remember correctly. I feel so sad for the paper cow!
Yes, I know it's just simple stop action, but I've never forgotten this video since I first saw it! These two can definitely make good videos...
This is the first music video I remember seeing. Of course it's the famous banned video about school shootings. I was pretty young and loved this band, they were my first album. My mom and I would listen to it in the car, so I can't hear them without thinking of her.
No, it's not technically a music video because it's live, but I think she has an amazing voice. Seeing these acoustic performances makes me wish she'd just ditch the band.

Oh! And no making fun of me please.

You had me at asl
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-08-26, 12:03

Hands down, Stacey's Mom by Fountains of Wayne.

Rachel Hunter? Always worthy of a drool.
JohnnyTheA

2007-08-26, 12:08

Whip It - Devo
tomoe
Veteran Member

2007-08-26, 12:22

Satisfaction and call on me and sunshowers and Hiphop and Da Mystery of Chessboxin' and Here I go again and Express Yourself always manage to entertain...at least for a little while. The first 2 I like for their gratuitous, OTT skin. The 3rd one because it has little animals and the song's good. The last 4 I like for nostalgic purposes; they collectively remind me of grade school, middle school, and high school.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-08-26, 12:24

Thriller.

It's just totally awesome.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-08-26, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Thriller.

It's just totally awesome.
Its good, but when I watch a Music video, I generally like the entire series of 24 to still be playing when I get to the end.
rasmits
rams it

2007-08-26, 12:32

Yeah actually, in light of recent events, Thiller just creeps me out even more.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-26, 12:44

I always loved Everclear's "Santa Monica". I just thought that was such a watchable video. Just sets a mood for me, for some reason...makes me think about - and miss - California a bit.

Some other favorites:

Brian Setzer's "Gettin' in the Mood"...just fun, great visuals and he's, hands-down, the coolest guy walking the planet. Those cars, that hair, those tattoos, his guitar playing. My hero.

Mark Knopfler's "What It Is". The song gives me chills, and the video appeals to me.

Destiny's Child's "Bootylicious"...no, I'm serious! Sexy as can be. I've had a crush on Kelly Rowland (the one with the short hair and red streaks) for a good five years or so, and I love how she looks and dances here. And I think it's cool they stuck Stevie Nicks in there throughout, since it's her "Edge of Seventeen" song that they've sampled for the main hook.

Big Country's "Fields of Fire". So stirring...I can watch this every day. Makes me want to put on a kilt and stand on a hillside. What an awesome, unique band. RIP Stuart...

Lit's "Zip-Lock"...again, just another fun video with great visuals. I'd love to be at that party, for about 78 reasons.

Adam and the Ants' "Stand and Deliver". Opened my eyes to a different music and look. One of the earliest videos I remember seeing on MTV when I was in seventh grade or so.

R.E.M.'s "South Central Rain". Just takes me back to a specific time and place...late 80's in the South, when every band had jangly Rickenbackers and wanted to be the next R.E.M. Their older music like this makes me think of a couple of people, and it's both comforting and bittersweet.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts' "Crimson and Clover". One word: RAAWRRRRRRRRR!

Loretta Lynn's "Miss Being Mrs.". A beautiful, simple song. If it doesn't get to you just a little bit, then you might already be dead. If you've seen "Coal Miner's Daughter" (or if you know anything about Loretta), then you know who she's singing about, and how heartfelt it must be. When she goes, it'll be another Johnny Cash type of loss. She's a giant in my book. She wrote all of those songs, which puts her a peg above so many of her contemporaries. Like Johnny, she's cooler than most people realize. And I'm afraid it'll take her being gone for others to realize what a force she was. Nothing but respect and admiration for Loretta Lynn...one of my all-time favorites. She never changed.

Don Henley's "Boys of Summer". The granddaddy of them all. I never get tired of this song. It's so beautiful and longing, and if it hits you just the right way, at the right time, it can blow a hole in your chest. The video is perfect for the song. It's a more somber, reflective counterpart to "Santa Monica" above; they strike me as similar songs (or they make me feel the same way...they just go about it a bit differently).

I'd mention Duran Duran, but they're kinda in the All-Time Hall of Fame, and it just seems pointless to bring up the obvious. Great stuff they did, I love them all. Most hold up surprisingly well. The uncensored "Girls on Film" was quite the sight for a young teen boy, and the absolute best bassline ever recorded for a pop song, IMO. You go, John!

There you have it. A little fun, a little heartbreak, a little sexiness...my favorite music videos.

Oh, honorable mention: he's a flaming asshat on wheels, but I love the video for Kanye West's "Gold Digger". Those womens are so sexy! I love those retro pin-up looks.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-08-26 at 12:55.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-08-26, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Yeah actually, in light of recent events, Thiller just creeps me out even more.
You were, er, attacked by zombies?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-26, 12:48

"The Hardest Button to Button" and "Fell in Love With a Girl" by the White Stripes, definitely. And "The Denial Twist." Basically any Gondry-directed video, actually.

I like most of the White Stripes' other video, too. "Seven Nation Army"...that Coke commercial Jack did...I don't really like "Blue Orchid" but it gets an honorable mention because it made Jack White looks like Jack Sparrow. <3 <3

Garbage has a history of great videos, as well - including my all-time favorite video, "The World is Not Enough." I also really like "Special" and "Tell Me Where It Hurts," just because it'll probably be their last.

I think my second favorite video of all time is "Walk Away" by Franz Ferdinand. For some reason, "Portions for Foxes" by Rilo Kiley has stuck with me, as well. (And they're getting back together, I hear. Whoo!)

I know there's some I'm forgetting. I'll probably post more later.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-26, 13:05

Oh crap, I just remembered one of my favorites! Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough"! Like the Adam Ant one, it introduced me to a new look and sound that I'd never heard before. Also one of the earlier videos I remember seeing years and years ago. I thought those women were really sexy, again in a way that I wasn't quite accustomed to seeing. But I came around to that look quickly.

The 1:54 mark in the video is a good example of the hotness (the two playing with the umbrella drink).

Wrao
Yarp

2007-08-26, 13:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDpfH-o9d3s

Born not to know - tony toni toné

It's not necessarily my favorite, but I did just so happen to have it in my bookmarks.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-08-26, 14:13

Sitting, Waiting Wishing by Jack Johnson is very impressive -- it's all one take, and they *filmed it backwards*. Jack Johnson learned to lip-sync his lyrics backwards, walked backwards, strummed his guitar backwards... even tapped his foot backwards. It's well done. Not necessarily my favorite (Thriller has got to be up there... but I haven't thought too hard about it yet), but it's very good.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-08-26, 14:19

One of my favorite songs with a really cool video to match.

The Postal Service - Such Great Heights

I love how they blend really intricate machines with human emotions... I like it.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-08-26, 15:05

These are old - but here are 2 British Pop samples:

We Close Our Eyes - Go West 25 years ago this was the bees knees. *ahem* Directed by Godley and Creme no less. (Some of their work included "Wrapped around your finger" by the Police, "Rockit" by Herbie Hancock and the aforementioned "Girls on Film" by Duran Duran.)

In contrast, for a live gig, with no sound check and not even your full show set up - Radio Ga Ga @ Live Aid 1985 - Queen Freddie's command of the crowd is a sight to behold. He was in his element and Queen stole the show that day.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-08-26, 15:16

Regina Spektor - Fidelity
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SGTDRztaCCw

I like the style of the colors in the video
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-08-26, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
(Thriller has got to be up there... but I haven't thought too hard about it yet)
!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-08-26, 15:19

They still make videos? Who plays them... not MTV... MTV only pumps out shit reality shows, cartoons and spring break contests I thought. Oh wait I forgot about...

"YO-YO-YO this is Eric from the GRiiiiND. Time for some Fu ShnEKENZZZZZZ!"

...into the light of a dark black night.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-08-26, 16:22

Truly the 80s were a golden age for music videos. My favorites include the Peter Gabriel videos in that era (well late 70s to early 90s I guess)... yeah, pretty much all of them. Shock the Monkey, Sledgehammer, Big Time, Digging In The Dirt, etc. A-ha's "Take On Me" is a classic too.

edit - the topic says "and why", haha. Okay, but you asked for it! Well as far as music goes I am a child of the 80s. When I was old enough to start listening to music and deciding for myself what I liked, it was right around 1980 or 81. I consider myself fortunate to have lived in a decade when you could turn on the radio at home or in the car and surf stations, and nearly all of them would be playing good music. Not just ok music - really good music. I still believe that the 80s was one of the best decades for music we've ever had.

We didn't watch much tv at my house and we didn't get MTV (didn't have cable either). So I saw what videos I could at friend's houses, probably to their annoyance ("hey can we watch MTV? Let's watch MTV!"). Back then videos were really cool but mostly because I got to see what bands looked like and stuff while I was listening to the music. It was always about the music for me. Peter Gabriel was and still is one of my favorite musicians, and his videos were awesome. Awesome to the max. Take On Me was my favorite song for like, a year or something, and the video was completely awesome. I also loved Duran Duran, and their videos were great too.

Funny story about that - I liked Duran Duran so much I convinced my mom to rent their "Duran Duran Videos" videotape at the local video rental store. This is when I was still 12 or 13-ish I think, so their videos were a little risqué for somebody my age but my mom was clueless. The reason I think it's funny is because I only wanted to listen to the music and watch the guys in the band play their instruments. I couldn't have cared less about the scantily clad women, I mean they were nice looking and all that but sometimes they got in the way of seeing Duran Duran.

I watched that tape over and over again until we had to return it. When we went back to the store, I asked if we could rent it again. My mom asked the clerk if it was really okay for a kid of my age to rent that tape (why she didn't ask that the first time I have no idea), and he said "well it's got a little skin in it but no nudity, it's probably ok."

I'll never forget the look of horror on my mom's face. Needless to say we didn't rent it again. But she never bothered to ask me why I wanted to watch it... she probably just assumed it's cause there were almost naked ladies in it. But as a 13 year old boy in that situation, can you really tell your mom "But I only want to watch it for the music"? It wasn't till later that I was able to buy the albums on tape and listen to them all the time.

Anyway sorry for dragging it out, music is just a huge passion of mine.

Last edited by Xaqtly : 2007-08-26 at 16:51. Reason: topicality
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-26, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
They still make videos? Who plays them... not MTV... MTV only pumps out shit reality shows, cartoons and spring break contests I thought. Oh wait I forgot about...

"YO-YO-YO this is Eric from the GRiiiiND. Time for some Fu ShnEKENZZZZZZ!"
MTV, in its current form, is the reason so many kids and teens are screwed up (and need a sound beating).

It's truly disgusting, the stuff they show and promote on there. Hey, I'm not a prude...and I'm not talking about any music videos (hell, they don't even play music videos anymore). I'm not talking about suggestive lyrics or a little butt cheek flash. That never hurt anyone.

I'm talking about all these shows like the girls having their sweet 16 birthday parties and acting like little materialistic bitches, and then all the "Real World" stuff with the trumped-up drama and idiocy, and everyone banging everybody and cheating and saying "fuck" and "bro" every .6 seconds. All that "reality" crap they seem to love playing...there's never anyone on any of them with a single good trait that you wouldn't mind your kid picking up on.

MTV is, honest to God, wall-to-wall shitheads. Every show. Every person on every show. There isn't a redeeming characteristic to anyone involved. I flip past it and there's some "dating" show where people are on a bus waiting their turn to meet some jughead frat twat or shallow, fake-tittied skank, and it just makes me want to poke my eyes out, the few seconds of it that I see. You couldn't power a nightlight with the combined brain power of the idiots involved.

It's no wonder things are so loused up (kids riddled with STDs, shooting up schools, having babies, in rehab, etc.). Every show they have on there promotes the worst aspects of humanity: stupidity, greed, materialism, promiscuity, ignorance (and being happy about it), shallowness, irresponsibility, substance abuse, bitchiness, etc.

Little freaks.

And don't anyone say a word to me about "you're just getting old...it's the same as it always was, 'scates". Bullshit. When I was coming up, it was videos and cool stuff like Live Aid and music news about actual musicians. Concerts, cool contests where you could go meet artists on tour, etc. It was music, and actual songs/videos all day long. There weren't any shows on there about young people carrying on like a-holes. That all started with "The Real World" back in the 90's, and it's just gotten worse. Way worse.

MTV is such vile, corrupting crap. It really is. If I had a kid, they wouldn't know it existed because the first time they acted like one of those idiots ("that's not the color of car I wanted for my birthday...you ruined my whole $#%$%^^@! life, Dad!"), I'd knock them through a wall.

Honestly, go turn it on right now (assume you're over, say, 25-30) and see if you can stomach more than six minutes of whatever's on. I bet you can't.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-08-26, 17:28

Michael Jackson - Thriller.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-08-26, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Honestly, go turn it on right now (assume you're over, say, 25-30) and see if you can stomach more than six minutes of whatever's on. I bet you can't.
Agreed. Yet nobody crusades against MTV for its shittyness. Lets all blame GTA, it's easier.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-08-26, 20:36

Look Good in Leather, a track from Cody Chesnutt's Headphone Masterpiece, which is, well, a masterpiece. A feel-good song and video from the greatest lo-fi artist to ever go undetected by mainstream radio.

This was actually the cheapest video to ever play on MTV (I think I remember hearing a budget of $5,000), but it flopped and never resurfaced... until now!
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-08-26, 21:37

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Flavor

It's got Beck and Mike D. It pays homage to RUN DMC's Walk this Way. It has a bizarro cameo from Flava Flav. It just reeks of awesome. Far and away the coolest video from the nineties. This was released during the height of the Blues Explosion's reign of awesome.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-08-27, 10:07

Coldplay - The Scientist

The whole backwards-filming thing must have been hard to do I guess. I love this video
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-08-27, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
[*]Jeremy by Pearl Jam[/list]
This is the first music video I remember seeing. Of course it's the famous banned video about school shootings. I was pretty young and loved this band, they were my first album. My mom and I would listen to it in the car, so I can't hear them without thinking of her.
"Jeremy" was banned? I remember seeing it all the time when it came out. It was in high rotation for about a year. Why ban it once it was old news?

I'd probably have to go with Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me. No particular reason - it's just the first one that came to mind!

I'm sure given time I could come up with any number of superior videos (like Sugar Cube by Yo La Tengo -- a video any Mr. Show fan must see).
rasmits
rams it

2007-08-27, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post
"Jeremy" was banned? I remember seeing it all the time when it came out. It was in high rotation for about a year. Why ban it once it was old news?
Well, sort of. According to Wikipedia:
MTV restrictions on violent imagery prevented Mark Pellington from showing Jeremy putting the gun in his mouth and pulling the trigger at the climax of the video ... this footage was edited with a zoom effect for the MTV version of the video so the gun was not visible. Pellington also shot a slightly different take of the classroom Pledge of Allegiance sequence. In the MTV version of the video there is a brief shot of Jeremy's classmates making a gesture that could be either the American Bellamy salute or the Nazi Hitler salute, but the original footage shows a Nazi flag with a swastika in the background of the classroom ... After the Columbine High School massacre in 1999, the video was banned for a time.

You had me at asl
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2007-08-27, 10:41

Ah. So there was a ban, but the more crucial thing is that it was censored. Thinking back, I must have only ever seen the censored version. I hate finding things like that out - that I never got to see the intended expression.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-08-27, 18:51

Sting - Fields of Gold - I just think the song and video are beautiful.

Benny Bennassi - Satisfaction - Hot women with power tools FTW!

Last edited by Foj : 2007-08-28 at 16:16.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-08-27, 22:47

Geez - I remember when I first saw that Benny Benassi clip. That was a mighty fine piece of work. Good call Foj.