Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Stuff to which you are addicted
Page 5 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  Next Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-01-26, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Thanks for the mention. I definitely plan to try this tea cooler. It sounds tangy, refreshing, and yes, absolutely addictive.
It's amazing. You can get a totally different version if you order it out at different restaurants, but there's a local dairy in my area that sells it and it's amazing.

If you really want to expand upon this, you can get some Sweet Tea Vodka and mix it with lemonade to make a Joh Daly (ie: an alcoholic Arnold Palmer)

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-02-07, 01:48

Orbit gum
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-07, 02:12

Staying up late.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2011-02-07, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
It's amazing. You can get a totally different version if you order it out at different restaurants, but there's a local dairy in my area that sells it and it's amazing.

If you really want to expand upon this, you can get some Sweet Tea Vodka and mix it with lemonade to make a Joh Daly (ie: an alcoholic Arnold Palmer)
I'll also throw my weight behind the Arnold Palmer / John Daly. Found a little company this year in Texas that makes a DELICIOUS version, as well as some great mint & honey green tea. Sweat Leaf. Turns out with amazon prime I can order cases of their stuff with free shipping!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-07-22, 18:17

Well, a recent addiction I've managed to acquire is to risotto and black beans. Weird, huh? Rice and beans together make a complete protein, or so I've read. I had never made risotto before and have just been using the recipe on the back of the package, but I found the Jamie Oliver recipe here via google, and it sounds delish.

Quote:
method

From Jamie's Kitchen This is a great recipe for making risotto. You want it to be smooth, creamy and oozy, not thick and stodgy.

stage 1

Heat the stock. In a separate pan, heat the olive oil and butter, add the onions, garlic and celery, and fry very slowly for about 15 minutes without colouring. When the vegetables have softened, add the rice and turn up the heat.

stage 2

The rice will now begin to lightly fry, so keep stirring it. After a minute it will look slightly translucent. Add the vermouth or wine and keep stirring — it will smell fantastic. Any harsh alcohol flavours will evaporate and leave the rice with a tasty essence.

stage 3

Once the vermouth or wine has cooked into the rice, add your first ladle of hot stock and a good pinch of salt. Turn down the heat to a simmer so the rice doesn’t cook too quickly on the outside. Keep adding ladlefuls of stock, stirring and almost massaging the creamy starch out of the rice, allowing each ladleful to be absorbed before adding the next. This will take around 15 minutes. Taste the rice — is it cooked? Carry on adding stock until the rice is soft but with a slight bite. Don’t forget to check the seasoning carefully. If you run out of stock before the rice is cooked, add some boiling water.

stage 4

Remove from the heat and add the butter and Parmesan. Stir well. Place a lid on the pan and allow to sit for 2 minutes. This is the most important part of making the perfect risotto, as this is when it becomes outrageously creamy and oozy like it should be. Eat it as soon as possible, while the risotto retains its beautiful texture.

• from Jamie's Kitchen ingredients

• approx 1.1 litres/2 pints stock (chicken, fish or vegetable as appropriate)
• 1 knob of butter
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
• ½ a head of celery, finely chopped
• 400g/14oz risotto rice
• 2 wine glasses of dry white vermouth (dry Martini or Noilly Prat) or dry white wine
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 70g/2½oz butter
• 115g/4oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese
The recipe from the bag didn't include wine, celery, garlic, pepper or cheese. But I intend to add in some of these next time - well, the garlic and cheese for sure. If you've never made risotto before, it requires adding in a ladle of stock at a time and letting that ladleful cook to absorption (stirring often). This "ladle at a time" thing is a pain, but be sure to do it, because the results are definitely worthwhile.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-07-22, 19:13

Good call Windswept. I'm a risotto fiend - it's my favourite thing to cook on the weekend. Made a fennel and seafood mix last Sunday and a porcini and wild mushrooms the week before that. Excellent Winter fare - although I realise it's not Winter now in the States.

I'll try the Jamie Oliver version tomorrow night.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2011-07-23 at 05:26. Reason: Name typo
Noel

2011-07-23, 00:17

Popchips

It is completely impossible not to eat a whole bag in one go.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-07-23, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Well, I'm no longer addicted to coffee. Last month I had food poisoning and didn't eat for two days or come anywhere close to wanting caffeine. Those two days were enough to get the monkey off my back and I just haven't started up since.

I still have the occasional cup but that's not too often anymore. Ironically I might be working at a Starbucks this summer though, so who knows what's gonna happen.

Wow, I'm dumb.

Ended up getting into roasting my own beans, pouring a couple hundred into brewing and grinding equipment and getting back to 4-5 cups a day. Whatever, it tastes too damn good.

(I blame the thesis. Also France.)
murbot
Hoonigan

2011-07-23, 11:30

Meat.

My diet these days basically consists of meat, eggs, vegetables, and fruit. (yeah, I oxforded te shit out of that sentence)

High on the meat intake, medium eggs, medium veggies, low fruit.

Used to eat pasta 3-4 times a week. I think the last time I had it was 6 months ago.

Unfortunately I'm balancing that out with whiskey. I see the empty bottles in my garage and worry that it's something I have to post in this thread. Damn you, whiskey.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-08-15, 21:06

Chocolate mousse royale ice cream - Baskin Robbins

The two nearest stores closed for some reason, and now the nearest Baskin Robbins is quite a drive. The upshot was that I hadn't had any chocolate mousse ice cream for a few years! I had forgotten how absolutely scrumptious this ice cream is, with its smooth creamy texture and its Belgian chocolate pieces. So now I've made the long drive three times in the past week or ten days to buy a hand-packed container of chocolate mousse. I've got to get through this addiction fast; but at present, I'm still craving this heavenly dessert. I'm glad the store's so far away. That will be helpful when I start putting an end to this.

Anyone else ever had an addiction to this particular flavor?

Just wondering.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-08-15, 21:27

My latest vice:

These things are delicious. I need to have people stop me from buying these things.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-08-15, 21:38

Cinnamon raisin WHAT?
ironlung

2011-08-15, 21:50

Almond poppy seed tea bread.

Also anything marzipan
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-08-15, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Cinnamon raisin WHAT?

Cinnamon raising PRETZELS.

Quite possibly the greatest things ever.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-08-15, 21:57

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-08-15, 22:23

Quote:
Cinnamon raising PRETZELS.

Quite possibly the greatest things ever.
I've heard of raising Arizona, but not pretzels. Anyway I am addicted now to one specific flavor of frozen yogurt at Yogurtland - Guava Pineapple Tart. OMFG. My nipples explode with delight. If you ever get a chance to try this flavor, DO IT. My second favorite flavor is blood orange tart, also very good.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-08-15, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post

Yes.

Just in time for my midnight snack.

I think I'll go stick 6 slices in the microwave right now.
addabox
Veteran Member

2011-08-16, 00:09

Trader Joe's has a non-dairy strawberry ice cream made with coconut milk. It's incredibly creamy and the coconutiness adds a subtle flavor, and I crave it.

Unfortunately, it's one of those incredibly irritating Trader Joe's items that seems to come and go randomly. It was gone for so long I assumed it was discontinued, then it reappeared. Now it's gone again. I dunno, maybe they have some hippy making it a pint at a time in his yurt in Oregon.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-08-16, 00:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post

Thirded. I pan-fry my own bacon - preferably the thick-sliced, dry-rubbed or peppered varieties. I even picked up a grilling press to keep it from getting all curled up on the pan.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-08-16, 07:52

My future sister-in-law made candied bacon a few weeks ago.

I was in heaven.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-08-16, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
I even picked up a grilling press to keep it from getting all curled up on the pan.
As an alternative, bacon baked in the oven comes out nice & flat. Perfect for making bacon, egg, & cheese on a kaiser roll sandwiches.

Quote:
My future sister-in-law made candied bacon a few weeks ago.
What type of candied bacon did she make? There's a bar here that sells bacon peanut brittle. So gatdamn tasty.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-08-16, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
What type of candied bacon did she make? There's a bar here that sells bacon peanut brittle. So gatdamn tasty.
I don't know exactly how she made it. She just said she put a lot of sugar, and molasses, and cinnamon. May have been a few more things, but it was delicious.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-08-16, 10:10

I'm really addicted to popcorn for the last few months.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2011-12-18, 17:23

I really *really* like Trident Tropical Twist gum. It turns out that the xylitol in the gum is good for dental health. This gum has no sugar, of course, and the long-lasting flavor stimulates salivation, which helps keep the teeth clean. Hard to believe that something so flavorful is also healthful. Try it if you never have; it's soooo good.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-12-18, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I'm really addicted to popcorn for the last few months.
Me too, which is weird because I hardly ever eat the stuff.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-03-12, 02:31

This is the closest to an appropriate thread as ever...

I just saw someone in his late 20s to mid 30s get carded buying NyQuil. He was shocked, I was shocked...the checkout lady had a very serious face and went "Yeah, duh!"

I've never seen it happen here before...NyQuil doesn't even have pseudoephedrine or codeine in it anymore, at least not the stuff that you'd run by the checkout counter.

Last edited by Eugene : 2012-03-12 at 06:52.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2012-03-22, 19:24

I recently recovered from a several months addiction to Dove Magnum ice cream. I love the dark chocolate outer coating, but my market doesn't carry the "double chocolate" version, with chocolate ice cream inside. Alas. Anybody else like these?

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-03-22, 20:02

Cheddar... Old cheddar... Like really addicted.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-22, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I recently recovered from a several months addiction to Dove Magnum ice cream. I love the dark chocolate outer coating, but my market doesn't carry the "double chocolate" version, with chocolate ice cream inside. Alas. Anybody else like these?

Love any kind of magnum. Since you are recovering from several months addiction, (maybe that waist line could lose a few pounds!! Oops )
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-03-23, 10:43

Chicken wings. I can't stop eating them. I lay them on a cooling rack on a baking sheet, then add salt, pepper, and roasted granulated garlic. Convection roast in the oven at 350 for 40 minutes. The hot sauce is 1/2 cup of Frank's with 4 tbsp of butter, plus salt, pepper, garlic. When they're done I bathe them in the sauce and chow down. Sometimes I eat a few plain. Maybe a small bit of teriyaki sauce on a couple. Maybe dip in a little ranch sometimes. I am drooling now and have a boner.