User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Ram & Superdrive Question (Powerbook)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ram & Superdrive Question (Powerbook)
Fooboy

2005-02-21, 18:46

I am hoping to get a 12 inch powerbook soon after my birthday (I'll be 23 in early March, Graduate Texas A&M in May ... ) and since powerbooks are pretty much awesome as is ... there are only 2 questions: Ram and Combo/Superdrive.

For Ram - I have pretty much decided that 768 will suffice. I don't have tons of money and I will pretty much be going standard multitasking / usage and although a gig would be nice I dont think for the money Its worth it for ME. But I have one question ... if I played a game on the powerbook it would be Warcraft III (NOT WoW). How much ram does OS X and general programs + WC3 take up? I am not familiar with memory usage for games for Macs. Or another way to ask ... How much ram does wc3 take up?

My other question is this ... and It might be dumb (I guess this is more of a DVD question and not superdrive question) ... If you burned a DVD of Music, Pictures, & Video ... can you access the information from a normal DVD Player / Home Theater system setup? Say for example you wanted to show your in-laws vacation pictures, some mp3's, and a few clips of video - instead of having them crowd around a 12 inch powerbook with weak speakers - put it on their Big TV and 5.1 speaker system for a SHOW. Can you do that? Or can DVD players only read Video and not pictures or music?

Thanks!
+++

2005-02-21, 22:07

Hey,

Yes you can make a picture slideshow with music with iDVD. Definitly go with the superdrive - you'll end up wanting it if you're planning on doing anything video.

The Oldest Mac Gaming Clan on the 'Net
1.5ghz 12" Powerbook w/Superdrive
Wraven

2005-02-21, 22:23

DEFINTELY get the SuperDrive. I bought a mini without one and just got it upgraded. So go with it - you'll end up wanting one. Congrats on your impending graduation - I am class of '00. WHOOP!

Cheers,
Wraven