Your favorite ice cream flavors and your favorite desserts

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Your favorite ice cream flavors and your favorite desserts
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-20, 16:42

I love chocolate.

Therefore, my favorite ice cream flavor is chocolate mousse royale from Baskin Robbins. Rich, creamy, and with little dark-chocolate particles to intensify the flavor.

If they don't have that, I'll take chocolate almond, but it seems less rich and creamy than choc. mousse.

If they don't have that, I'll take rocky road; but frankly, I'm not all that crazy about the marshmallow strands in it.

For the summer, I've been enjoying the orange and cream (Dreamsicle) shake from Del Taco. Such a treat in blast furnace weather.

For my favorite desserts, it would have to be two that I make myself.

1) chocolate mousse - *intensely* sinful and delicious. Omg! Rich, creamy, substantial - nothing like that light-weight, aerated, fluffy stuff. No way!

2) cheesecake - again, rich, creamy, using tons of original (not whipped) Philadelphia cream cheese and *NO* flour, with a top icing-layer of sweetened sour cream. God, UNbelievably good.

Unfortunately, both the nearest Baskin Robbins have shut down, so I hardly ever have ice cream anymore. *sniff*

I haven't made either the chocolate mousse or the cheesecake in a couple years at least. But maybe soon.

How about you? What are your favorite ice cream flavors, and your favorite desserts?

Thanks for any replies.

PS - I thought for sure that we already had a thread like this, and I did a search; but I found nothing. Sooo...
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-07-20, 16:43

Pavlova ftw.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-07-20, 16:48

Phish Food. Hands down. Chocolate, marshmallow, caramel and more chocolate? Sold!
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-07-20, 16:57

Chubby Hubby Ben and Jerrry's.

The ice cream flavor consists of pretzel nuggets, which are covered in fudge and filled with peanut butter, in a vanilla malt ice cream base, which is itself swirled with fudge and peanut butter throughout.


Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-20, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
Chubby Hubby Ben and Jerrry's.

The ice cream flavor consists of pretzel nuggets, which are covered in fudge and filled with peanut butter, in a vanilla malt ice cream base, which is itself swirled with fudge and peanut butter throughout.

You seem *very* enthusiastic about this flavor.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2007-07-20, 17:12

I enjoy either the Guinness or Mexican Vanilla flavored ice creams from Amy's in Austin, TX.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-07-20, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
You seem *very* enthusiastic about this flavor.
We bought some today. It has 8 billion calories so I eat like 3 bites a day.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-07-20, 17:15

Normally, I probably would not respond. Except that I had a piece of chocolate cake a couple weeks ago that may very well have been the most incredible thing I have ever experienced.
RichieB

2007-07-20, 17:17

Coldstone Creamery's Chocolate Devotion. Chocolate ice cream, chocolate chips, fudge and brownie mixed together. I always add chocolate shavings in the mix too! Yummmm....
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-20, 17:26

Gelato from a local cafe a block away from my home. Anything berry-ish.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-20, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Normally, I probably would not respond. Except that I had a piece of chocolate cake a couple weeks ago that may very well have been the most incredible thing I have ever experienced.
Cool. Homemade, restaurant, or store-bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
We bought some today. It has 8 billion calories so I eat like 3 bites a day.
Omg! I'm impressed. Such admirable restraint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
Coldstone Creamery's Chocolate Devotion. Chocolate ice cream, chocolate chips, fudge and brownie mixed together. I always add chocolate shavings in the mix too! Yummmm....
Thanks for mentioning this. I'll definitely have to try it.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-20, 17:31

Rocky Road

Peanut Butter and Chocolate

Peanut Butter and Cream

Peanut Butter Cup
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-07-20, 17:32

My favorite dessert from outside home: cheese cake.
And then my family recipes. Love Finnish berries

Blueberry pie, straight from the oven with a melting slice of vanilla ice cream on top.
Lingonberry pie. It's the same lower layer with a different topping (not just different berries). Served cold.
Frozen lingonberry thingy that's essentially whipped cream with vanilla mixed with lingonberries and frozen. Served with pear marmelade candy.
Cloudberry cake with strawberry inside (not jam but fresh strawberries crushed then preserved deep frozen with a good helping of sugar), whipped cream and Lappish cloudberries on top, the flour-y part of the cake moisturised with lemon juice (maybe a little cognac? I make the pies, I don't make this one).

Sorry guys, but I'm not an ice cream fan. We have enough cold and ice as is. The lingonberry thing doesn't count.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-07-20, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
Love Finnish berries
Oh, I love homemade lingon sylt on pancakes. (My mother is from Ostrobothnia.)

I'm not a big fan of sweet stuff, with the notable exception of chocolate, which I sometimes crave like a pregnant woman. However my girlfriend loves Häagen-Dazs ice cream, and the last time I was in Paris we found ourselves acting out one of those romantic vignettes for which the city is so famous. We were walking down the street when she fell under an irresistible urge to have some Häagen-Dazs, so we popped into a shop to get some. They only had a four-pack so we went with that. Back out to find somewhere to sit, and before long we were sitting on a nice bench in a leafy spot with a picturesque backdrop of French windows and wrought-iron balconies.

But just as we sat down, big fat raindrops started falling. My girlfriend's ice cream craving would not be so easily denied, so I pulled out a small umbrella and we sat there huddled on the bench in the rain, blissfully eating ice cream and peeking out at the passing world from beneath the umbrella. Presently we noticed a painter across the street, sheltered from the rain and stroking furiously at his easel. We didn't pay him much attention until we got ourselves outside the entire four-pack. By that point the rain was easing and my girlfriend suggested we walk across to the painter and see what he was doing. We staggered off the bench, crossed the narrow street, and had a look at an already beautiful, highly stylised, and almost complete watercolour... of us! There the couple sat under the trees and the umbrella, eating their ridiculous ice cream, at the bottom of the canvas but no less the focal point for that. A wonderful little moment, and all the more so because of its perfect serendipity.

That very evening the painting was hanging in a nearby gallery.

So I guess Häagen-Dazs ice cream will always have a soft spot in my heart. The four-pack, however, had multiple flavours, and I can't for the life of me remember what they were!

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-07-20, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I enjoy either the Guinness or Mexican Vanilla flavored ice creams from Amy's in Austin, TX.
OMG!

We have a winner!
rasmits
rams it

2007-07-20, 18:50

Gelato is the best.

Nutella flavored gelato surrounded by yoghurt flavored... Oh god...

If this truely is strictly for ice cream, I'm going to have to go with Phish Food from Ben and Jerry's.

You had me at asl
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-07-20, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Oh, I love homemade lingon sylt on pancakes.
I have never seen anyone use lingon sylt on sweet pancakes... just on black blood pancakes. Which is not a dessert.
Quote:
(My mother is from Ostrobothnia.)
But I'm not stupid enough to tell an Ostrobothnian how to eat their pancakes. You know what pastime the Ostrobothnians are known for, right?
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-07-20, 20:29

As much of a chocoholic as I am, and as much as I absolutely love chocolate based ice creams, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that beats homemade peach ice cream.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
sunrain
Veteran Member

2007-07-20, 21:59

Here's my favorite ice creams:

Mountain Huckleberry from Tillamook Creamery
Rocky Road from Umpqua Dairy
Freewell

2007-07-20, 22:30

Oh man, ice-cream has got to be one of the fruits on the tree of life! I seriously don't keep it in the house, because I know that if I do, I will eat it, and then the scales will tattle on me! (Wretched little informant!!)

But since you asked...

Favorite Commercial Ice-Cream Flavors:

ColdStone's Strawberry Shortcake Serenade in a plain waffle cone
Haagen Dazs' Coffee
Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey
Starbuck's Mocha Almond Fudge

Favorite Homemade Ice-Cream Flavors:

Cantaloupe
Pink Grapefruit
Mango

(Of course, only the ripest, most delectable fresh fruit should be used for the recipe.)

Favorite Desserts:

Homemade Tirimisu
Alaskan Snow Pie with Raspberry Sauce
Italian Ricotta Torte (I think it is actually a sin to eat this! The icing alone is like the most decadent chocolate mousse like substance. I am almost drooling just thinking about it!!!)
And then, there is that fantastic little number that my mom actually managed to eek the recipe of from a wonderful old Italian lady that owned a resturaunt and made the most incredible Coconut Creme Pie you have ever even imagined... Uses an entire dozen eggs!!!

Honorable Mention Desserts:

Cheesecake Factory's Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
Starbuck's Espresso Cake (not brownie) Though tragically I have not been able to find it for a couple years now. : (
Homemade Carrot Cake with Pecans and Cream Cheese Icing (Please do not ever desecrate such a sacred food with raisins!! )
Gourmet German Chocolate Cake covered in a sea of Coconut and Pecan Icing and garnished with melt-in-your-mouth Belgian Dark Chocolate shavings

There is not a single entry in the favorite dessert section here that upon touching your palate does not almost instantaneously transport you to a place, suspended somewhere between Earth and Heaven!
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-07-20, 22:42

coffee ice cream

creme bruele (or however you spell it)

g
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-07-20, 22:49

I like the simple flavors most...vanilla, chocolate, coffee, orange sherbet, etc.

Occasionally you get a craving for cookies&cream and such though...
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-07-21, 00:48

panna Cotta
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-07-21, 01:12

Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-21, 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
Gelato is the best.

Nutella flavored gelato surrounded by yoghurt flavored... Oh god...
Weird, I had this just tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain View Post

GOD I miss huckleberry ice cream... and Tillamook's is wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post
Lingonberry pie. ...
Frozen lingonberry thingy ...
Cloudberry cake ...
I absolutely love lingonberries and cloudberries. I may have to get some recipes from you.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-07-21, 01:29

Not much for sweet dessert. I'm usually too stuffed by that time.

However, sometimes these hit the spot:

Coffee, chocolate, pistachio or green tea ice cream
Mango gelato
Crema catalana http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crema_catalana

My absolute favorite would be something that no longer exists (the one room country store changed hands ) -- homemade fresh blueberry ice cream from a spot in Adamsville, Rhode Island (http://www.google.com/maps?q=Adamsvi... =map&ct=title)

I used to die for a cone of this on the way home from the beach as a kid.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-21, 01:38

Mmmm, yeah... my family used to make hand-cranked raspberry ice cream on the 4th every year. Us cousins would pick the berries from the thicket behind the grandparent's house, grandma would make the ice cream base, and then we'd crank it, taking turns.

Huh. You know what, us *kids* made the &*(%#@ ice cream, for *everyone* to eat! *shakes fists at adults*
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-21, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
By that point the rain was easing and my girlfriend suggested we walk across to the painter and see what he was doing. We staggered off the bench, crossed the narrow street, and had a look at an already beautiful, highly stylised, and almost complete watercolour... of us! There the couple sat under the trees and the umbrella, eating their ridiculous ice cream, at the bottom of the canvas but no less the focal point for that. A wonderful little moment, and all the more so because of its perfect serendipity.

That very evening the painting was hanging in a nearby gallery.
What a great story! You really should find a way to buy that painting, Dorian. I mean, *nobody* has stuff like that happen! Possibly in the entire history of the world! And it's a watercolor too. Just... perfect.

Maybe you could buy it on installment payments, or put it on "lay-away". (Do you folks across the pond even 'have' the payment arrangement called 'lay-away'? It's where 'you' start making small monthly payments, and the gallery keeps the item until it is paid for in full.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post
You know what pastime the Ostrobothnians are known for, right?
Eek! I'm afraid to ask. If it's too appalling for 'public' mention, maybe you could PM me the info. Since I'm half Finnish, I think it's probably something I really ought to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
As much of a chocoholic as I am, and as much as I absolutely love chocolate based ice creams, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that beats homemade peach ice cream.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Mmmm... one of my boyfriends got me started on fresh peach ice cream back in high school. Would 'love' to have some now. I've never actually made homemade ice cream; but whenever I do get around to doing so, I plan to use the richest cream possible (heavy cream?). I figure, if a person is going to sin, they might as well sin in a big way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain View Post

Oh god. Tillamook ice cream is absolutely to *DIE* for. Once you see those blissful black and white cows munching their way through those lush, green, Oregon-coast pastures, it's no surprise that the cream they produce makes the finest ice cream on the planet!

One summer, I made the fatal mistake of purchasing a half-gallon of plain old Tillamook vanilla ice cream. I became instantly addicted. It was like I was mainlining sweet rich cream directly into my veins. I am 'not' exaggerating, by the way. Oh.MY.GOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
Yep. I know the feeling. That chocolate mousse I make consists of semi-sweet chocolate, sweet (unsalted) butter, sugar and eggs. Once a person tastes chocolate desserts made from scratch (with no preservatives, additives, stabilizers, etc.), it really isn't possible ever again to fully enjoy manufactured stuff like Hershey Bars.

They taste so artificial, and more like flavored wax than anything. In the years since I first started making homemade chocolate mousse, I completely lost interest in candy bars, Hershey kisses, and any other manufactured chocolate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
GOD I miss huckleberry ice cream... and Tillamook's is wonderful.

I absolutely love lingonberries and cloudberries. I may have to get some recipes from you.
Will definitely have to try the huckleberry ice cream next time I'm up there. And the word cloudberry just has to be one of the coolest words *ever*, dontcha think? I actually have some cloudberry liqueur (direct from Finland) in my pantry at the moment. Haven't opened it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Mmmm, yeah... my family used to make hand-cranked raspberry ice cream on the 4th every year. Us cousins would pick the berries from the thicket behind the grandparent's house, grandma would make the ice cream base, and then we'd crank it, taking turns.

Huh. You know what, us *kids* made the &*(%#@ ice cream, for *everyone* to eat! *shakes fists at adults*
But certainly a productive way for kids to expend their boundless energies - with delicious results for all concerned. Yes? No? Maybe so?

Last edited by Windswept : 2007-07-22 at 10:28. Reason: HALF-gallon; not a gallon!
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-07-21, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Mmmm... one of my boyfriends got me started on fresh peach ice cream back in high school. Would 'love' to have some now. I've never actually made homemade ice cream; but whenever I do get around to doing so, I plan to use the richest cream possible (heavy cream?). I figure, if a person is going to sin, they might as well sin in a big way.
Amen! You gotta go for the gold!

I think part of what makes it taste so good is the amount of work you have to put into it. Don't get one of those automatic churners... just get Kick to do it for you.

Quote:
Yep. I know the feeling. That chocolate mousse I make consists of semi-sweet chocolate, sweet (unsalted) butter, sugar and eggs. Once a person tastes chocolate desserts made from scratch (with no preservatives, additives, stabilizers, etc.), it really isn't possible ever again fully to enjoy manufactured stuff like Hershey Bars.

They taste so artificial, and more like flavored wax than anything. In the years since I first started making homemade chocolate mousse, I completely lost interest in candy bars, Hershey kisses, and any other manufactured chocolate.
*Shudders*

Yup, Hershey/Nestle are an abomination. Real dark/semi-sweet chocolate is by far the only way to go.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-21, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
Don't get one of those automatic churners... just get Kick to do it for you.

Definitely sounds like a plan.