User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 7
Page 1 of 7 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2016-07-11, 09:03

My girlfriend has just ordered an iPhone 6s Plus. Her existing iPhone 5 has essentially replaced her Mac, so she thought the much larger display of the Plus would make sense. I’m not so sure, but I’m certainly keen to see what this beast is like in daily use.

She briefly considered waiting for the ‘iPhone 7’, which someone told her will come in September. However, I assured her that the next iPhone will drop the 3.5 mm headphone port. I read this on the internet.

Are either of these predictions sound?

Is dumping the headphone port a way to make the iPhone 7 waterproof?

What might replace the headphone jack?

What will the ‘A10’ processor bring to the table?

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-07-11, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Are either of these predictions sound?
Both predictions are sound. Apple has been releasing new iPhone models in September for most of the phone's lifespan.

There is a growing amount of "rumor evidence" that Apple will dump the 3.5 jack in favor of Lightning and wireless headphones.

Quote:
Is dumping the headphone port a way to make the iPhone 7 waterproof?
Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure about the waterproof-ness of the lightning connector, speakers, mic. etc., However, from what I have read, water penetration through the 3.5 jack has been trouble for Samsung's "waterproof" S7, so, perhaps that port gets in the way?

A lot depends on the meaning of "waterproof", since "taking a shower" and "swimming in the ocean" present two very different problems for waterproofing.

Quote:
What might replace the headphone jack?
Lightning headphones and Bluetooth headphones already exist, and appear to be the future. Lightning will only be compatible with iOS devices, but Bluetooth will work with everything. My guess is that Apple is going to push Bluetooth. While I am quite certain that Apple wants lots and lots of licensees for Lightning, I think wireless makes more sense since that will work with all Apple devices (and others, too) which would prevent them from having to engineer lightning ports into Macs.

Quote:
What will the ‘A10’ processor bring to the table?
A really big gatling gun, rocket launchers, titanium cockpit tub, high survivability, and super awesomeness!

Or, maybe it will just be twice as fast as the A9, increase the number of cores (especially graphics), and greater power efficiency. Phil Schiller will say something about the number of transistors (it has 27 billion! ), it will have a smaller footprint than the A9 and something about nanometers and such, so it will be a real smoker.

There is also the very remote possibility that the A10 will wait for iPad Pro refreshes and the iPhone 7 will get the A9x as found in the current iPad Pro. I doubt this, but it is possible.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-07-11, 19:16

Since the A9 is already manufactured on 14/16nm FinFET, I very much doubt the A10 will be smaller. 10nm FinFET yields aren't good enough for Apple's needs.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2016-07-12, 06:25

I was surprised how much stronger the A9 was in benchmarks compared with the A8 (in contrast to the modest improvement in Mac processors over the last few years). I wonder how much longer this rate of improvement will continue.

I could occasionally use some ground-attack capability, but I think I’ll get an iPhone SE and wait for the 3.5 mm port fallout to settle. I don’t feel like being an early adopter of that particular non-feature, especially since I have a nice pair of Sennheiser headphones that I see no reason to replace.

If the iPhone 7 is basically an iPhone 6s with improved silicon and no headphone port, I predict dire sales. I’m sure Apple knows the phone will need to offer much more than that. I think dumping the headphone port may have to be tied to a major attraction. Official water resistance would be a good one (I know current iPhones are already partially sealed against moisture).

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-07-12, 13:33

At one point I would've believed/assumed the same. Lately, however, the "whatever, Tim..." part of me assumes they'd do it just to piss off anyone over 30.

They'll tout some reason/benefit on stage so the Gruber and MG Siegler types can have something to "analyze"/tug to, but it would probably be met with a resounding "WTF?!" from the rest of us who'd be faced with replacing all our shit (or, at best, shell out $19-39 for stylish little white adapters/dongles to make Apple's occasional, clumsy "kiss our ass!" lurches into The Future go down a little easier.

Something wireless, something to recharge or keep up with, something else that probably requires a pain-in-the-butt firmware update at the worst time imaginable (and will brick your device if not done a certain way), etc.

I love Apple.

You're better off with the SE, Dorian. It just works and isn't trying to get cute/novel about anything.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2016-07-13, 04:42

Yes, I believe the iPhone SE will be mine.

But I’m curious about the iPhone 6s replacement too. Perhaps Apple will push the boat out on the camera, now that a protruding lens has been accepted. A bigger sensor or even a zoom lens that telescopes out from the back when in use? A zoom lens, however modest in range, would be a huge selling point and genuinely useful.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-07-13, 07:56

Seems like there are so many pictures of Lightning EarPods floating around that it's an inevitability that the headphone jack goes away.

I'm not too concerned about this at all. I very rarely use the headphone jack, so losing it wouldn't be a big deal. I don't have big fancy headphone or anything, so the few times I'd need headphones, the EarPods (or an adapter for my in ear headphones) will work fine.

I did see a few complaints about not being able to charge and listen to things at the same time, but that's something that doesn't happen for me either. The 6s+ has enough battery that this has never been an issue.

I'd really like it if this removal does make the phone waterproof as has been rumored. I've had cases for my phones for a few years so that I can use them in the water, but having it natively waterproof would be awesome.

Either way, I"m more than likely upgrading since I'm on the yearly plan with AT&T, so I"m definitely interested in how this will come out.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-07-14, 00:09

I've never truly understood the problem with a camera bump, the need for colours, or the antenna lines.

Who uses an iPhone without a case?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-07-14, 01:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I've never truly understood the problem with a camera bump, the need for colours, or the antenna lines.

My wife and I do. Haven't had a case on any of my iPhones except for a few weeks with the 3G.

They look so much better naked.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2016-07-14, 03:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I do. You could just as well ask: why get an Ive-designed iPhone, flawlessly made of premium materials, if you’re going to put it in a case? Though I accept there are many good answers.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-07-14, 06:55

I've not used a case in all these years, since summer 2007. However on this SE I gave in and have it in a clear, rubberized bumper type of thing.

So I still get the nice look (I would never cover an iPhone in some opaque case), but with a bit of bump protection. I'll take it off every now and then just to let it "breathe" and be naked and in its natural, perfect state. But if I'm out and about, I'll put it back on.

It certainly feels better without it (so small and compact), but apparently my klutz/butterfinger gene has kicked in here in 2016 and it seems that accidentally dropping, bumping and knocking over things has become my second job. My iPhone is the only thing I've managed to hold onto but I just don't think I trust myself at this point.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2016-07-14, 07:45

I have to use a case on the new phones. Without one they are too thin and slippery.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-07-14, 09:48

We sell a lot of cases.

I don't know what the official percentages are, but I would say that of the iPhone users I have encountered, probably 1 in 10 is caseless; and of the broken screens we repair, probably 1 in 10 were protected in a case. In other words, the phone is 90% more likely to be broken when dropped if there is no case.

Those are not scientific numbers, just observations.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-07-14, 15:53

I could have used both the iPhone 4 and 5 without a case because the sharp edges resulted in a more secure grip. Not so with the iPhone 6 or 7 design. They're like slippery bars of soap.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-07-14, 16:09

Biggest reason to have a case, particularly one with port covers, is too keep lint out of the damn lightning connector. My previous 5c's lightning port got jammed with lint several times, and it was tough to get out even with tweezers.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2016-07-14, 17:01

Every few months, I remove lint from the Lightning port and headphone port with a pin. I’m sure you have to be careful not to cause damage, but I’ve never had a problem.

This is a comparatively huge camera lens if true. What do you think Apple is doing here? Bigger sensor? The 6s lens is already about as fast as it can be without becoming unproductively large. Any change in the f-number will be minor.

Surely that lens, though larger than before, is still too small to be a zoom?

Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-07-19, 09:13

First thing I noticed. Could be a bigger sensor, or faster lens, or both. It's unlikely but maybe the whole unit is just thick enough for a small folded optic/zoom? Nothing too adventurous, think of a 24mm to 50mm equivalent. This is probably easier to achieve with a dual sensors, which also made the rumor circuit a while back...

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-08-05, 14:46

removing the headphone jack, only to include lightning cable EarPods may prove to be Apple's dumbest move ever.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-05, 14:56

Is it so they can lock you into Apple earbuds (and sell you s $19-29 adapter if you want to use another brand) or is there some benefit/reason for such a move (sound quality, etc.)?

Or is it simply in pursuit of "2016's thinnest smartphone" bragging rights (as though anyone gives a rip...is anyone truly squawking, in any sort of numbers that matter, that their iPhone 6/6s is "just too thick/bulky"?)

They've been chasing that thing for so long. It isn't all that meaningful or novel anymore, now that everyone else can do it too (and are). So now they're just all in a race to claim "thinnest this", "lightest that", etc. and acting as though everyone is totally cool with any loss of convenience or practicality in the process (because, apart from a handful of form-over-function aesthetes, I don't think we are).
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-08-05, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Is it so they can lock you into Apple earbuds (and sell you s $19-29 adapter if you want to use another brand) or is there some benefit/reason for such a move (sound quality, etc.)?

Or is it simply in pursuit of "2016's thinnest smartphone" bragging rights (as though anyone gives a rip...is anyone truly squawking, in any sort of numbers that matter, that their iPhone 6/6s is "just too thick/bulky"?)

They've been chasing that thing for so long. It isn't all that meaningful or novel anymore, now that everyone else can do it too (and are). So now they're just all in a race to claim "thinnest this", "lightest that", etc. and acting as though everyone is totally cool with any loss of convenience or practicality in the process (because, apart from a handful of form-over-function aesthetes, I don't think we are).
If some amazing new wireless earbuds are not included as standard equipment than I do not see any way they can justify the removal of the headphone jack as an improvement. For the quality of included wired earbuds, there will be no benefit to a lightning connection and there will be a lot of negatives associated with the change.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-08-05, 15:17

I have zero problem with the removal of the jack if that is true because I never use wired headsets at all. I have an assortment of bluetooth ones I use now so I wouldn't miss it at all. I'm guessing most people never plug anything into their phone now other than a charger. Heck, most don't even sync with a cable anymore.

However, I wouldn't be shocked if Apple doesn't make an adapter that's $19 at the least.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-05, 15:23

It's Apple. They'll justify it like all the other recent stupid shit they've done in the form-over-function sweepstakes.

"Removing the headphone port allowed us to make an iPhone that is half-a-millimeter thinner than the 6s..." *crickets* and a resounding "go to hell!!" from the back of the hall.

Ohmigosh, just once I'd love to hear someone in that event crowd remove their lips from Tim's ass and just respond to something stupid/pointless like a normal customer or human being."
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-08-05, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I have zero problem with the removal of the jack if that is true because I never use wired headsets at all. I have an assortment of bluetooth ones I use now so I wouldn't miss it at all. I'm guessing most people never plug anything into their phone now other than a charger. Heck, most don't even sync with a cable anymore.

However, I wouldn't be shocked if Apple doesn't make an adapter that's $19 at the least.
huh? Without a doubt, Most people who listen to music with headphones through an iPhone today listen through a cable. Bluetooth earbuds and headphones are not nearly that popular, primarily because they aren't very good and the good ones are very expensive. That's a problem that Apple could solve... but if they include lightning cable ear buds they didn't solve a problem... they created a bunch of new ones.

I support tough changes that promote adopting better technologies... and the technologies that will become the standard for the next 10 years. Lightning earbuds are not that. There is no benefit to the user experience.... zero. If Apple did this to make bluetooth audio become the norm, I'm all for it. But, without a better out of box user experience it only makes all of the negatives that much more pronounced. The fact of the matter is the audio jack is not preventing the iPhone from being thinner. The iPod touch is thinner and maintains the jack. And the audio jack is a universal standard. Interestingly, this would also make the iPhone 7 have weaker accessibility features as accessibility devices for hearing rely upon audio jacks as well.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-08-05, 21:23

I was EXTREMELY unimpressed with BlueTooth audio on a recent car rental... supremely disappointed with the reduction in quality.

Yet another fucking thing to have to keep charged.

Thanks, Tim Cook.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2016-08-06, 08:23

I don't think they're removing the headphone jack to make the phone thinner. The new iPhone doesn't seem to be any thinner than the iPhone 6s. The headphone jack is a long jack, so removing it may free up more internal space for things like a bigger battery (which is everybody's bugbear with the current iPhone), but honestly I think the simplest explanation is the correct one and they removed it so they could put a second speaker there.

As anyone who uses public transportation knows, A) a lot of people listen to music on the iPhone's speaker at full volume, and B) that speaker is terrible. It's designed, as Steve Jobs memorably put it when the iPod touch got a speaker, for "casual listening." (Yes, he even did the air quotes.) But I don't think Apple is comfortable with any part of the iPhone being terrible, and I think they're going to continue their strategy of adding more speakers to the iPad by improving the iPhone's on-device audio story, as well.

It's also a matter of skating to where the puck is going. Wireless headphones have been an ever-growing part of the headphone market, and in June, sales of Bluetooth headphones eclipsed sales of wired headphones for the first time (link), a trend that's expected to continue. And as wireless headphones have gone mainstream, the price premium has plummeted — I've seen some for under $10. Sure, people like us might quibble about Bluetooth's audio quality, but (big surprise here) most people prefer "cool factor" and convenience: the convenience of not having to thread their headphone cord through their layered clothing in the winter, for example. I've heard that once you go wireless, once you get used to that freedom, you just can't go back.

That's why I think people who think Apple is somehow going to make a big push for Lightning headphones are misguided. They'll have a Lightning adaptor for people who already have fancy wired headphones they love, and third parties will make Lightning headphones and it might even come with a pair in the box. But I think the real story will be wireless. That's what more and more people want, these days.

When Apple introduced the retina MacBook, the way they explained the port situation was very specific and deliberate. They didn't say "we did this to make it 0.05 mm thinner," or "one port is enough for everybody!" or anything. They explained that the MacBook was designed for a wireless world, and listed all the ways you could use wireless technologies instead of USB drives and cables. Then they said that the best way to charge something was with a cable, and so they still had to have one port for charging, and (this is important) since they had to have a port anyway, they might as well make it the most versatile they could. The implication is that if the MacBook could charge wirelessly, it would have no ports, because wireless is so much better.

That's how I think they'll position this, as well. Lightning won't be "the new headphone jack" — Lightning audio will be an afterthought, there for people with existing fancy headphones and only because they already have to have a Lightning port for charging. The iPhone will be wireless-first.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the iPhone 8 gets rid of the Lightning port, as well.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2016-08-06, 08:45

Does Bluetooth noticeably harm audio quality? I would be surprised if that’s provably true though not that many people think it’s true. But I haven’t looked into it, because wireless headphones have not seemed to be worth the hassle of syncing and keeping charged.

Here on public transport, vast numbers of people have headphones (with mics so they can talk nonsense to their friends almost continuously) plugged into their iPhone. Over half of them, I reckon. I doubt they care if it’s a 3.5 mm port or a Lightning port, but I don’t see much support for turtle’s statement above (“I’m guessing most people never plug anything into their phone now other than a charger.”)

The 3.5 mm port must take up, what, 10% of the volume of the current battery? In the long term, that’s worth saving. Especially if it additionally makes the phone look cleaner and more symmetrical (big things for Ive). Removing this port is normal Apple rationalisation.

Robo: I don’t think a second speaker makes sense in an iPhone. The distance between the two speakers would be too small to provide a noticeable stereo effect. You’d be better off making a single, bigger speaker.

An iPad is big enough, at the typical distance it’s held, to provide a subtended angle worth having.

For this reason, I don’t think Apple will put two speakers in the iPhone. If they do, I think it will be for packaging reasons (thinness versus one bigger speaker, inability to split a bigger speaker across the Lightning port, etc.) rather than for sound quality.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-08-06, 12:17

Wireless is the way forward, but in order for Apple to make that statement, and make it very loud and very clear, they must include wireless headphones in the iPhone 7 box. A failure to do so is a failure to make the point. "We believe in wireless, so here's your wired Lightning EarPods."

Ain't gonna work. They have to say, "We believe in wireless, and to prove it, we're going to include our new AirPods with every new iPhone, and every new iPod Touch*. So, suck it!"

The point would be made even more clear if all new MacBooks also included AirPods. They won't do that, because $99.

*Oh, and by the way, the 64GB iPod touch is distribution-backordered until "August 30". So, new iPod Touches are coming along with the new iPhone.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-06, 13:31

I wouldn't mind wireless earbuds if they sounded good (at least as good as the current one; I'm not audio snob and since I seem to be slowly going deaf anyway, I don't get that hung-up on audio quality).

I'd just like to not choke myself (or nearly rip my ear off) as I listen to podcasts or music in bed or on planes. I know I'd probably lose small, wireless earbuds with days of purchase, but I'd roll that dice if it removed the choking/snagging scenarios.

Apple might be moving to a totally port-free iPhone. Syncing is already wireless, charging will be that induction(?) stuff and they seem to be laying out the audio part as we speak.

As Robo says, iPhone 8 or whatever may be a sealed, hole-free thing. Just a hunk of aluminum with a few buttons and not much else. Its sealed design makes it waterproof? Or water-resistant in a way iPhones haven't been all this time.

iPhone Aqua...you heard it here first.

Okay, you didn't. But it's neat to imagine a phone that would stand up a little better to moisture, dust, cat hair, cookie crumbs, etc.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2016-08-06, 13:37

I think they’re already way more waterproof than we think. Try fully blocking the speaker holes with your thumb while it’s playing music. (Do it now if you haven’t.) It’s incredible how quiet it goes. There must be good sealing for that to happen.

Furthermore, I often see people using their iPhones in the rain. Yet I have never heard of one failing because of water damage. I’m sure it happens, but it would happen a lot more often if they weren’t already decently sealed.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-08-06, 15:26

Quote:
Does Bluetooth noticeably harm audio quality? I would be surprised if that’s provably true though not that many people think it’s true. But I haven’t looked into it, because wireless headphones have not seemed to be worth the hassle of syncing and keeping charged.
Bluetooth audio sounded like dog shit in the rental Malibu I used last month.

All the highs and lows were gone. The music was lifeless and "soft", as if it had been downsampled.

This recent article indicates that there's a new codec that preserves audio quality.

We'll see.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter