AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Bioshock, bootcamp and Vista

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Bioshock, bootcamp and Vista
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-09-21, 20:17

I'm trying to play the bioshock demo I got off of Steam on my iMac (24" aluminum, 256 ATI vid card) and the demo just blanks out the screen. All the google hits I get take me to a nvidia card problem and new drivers but I've got an ATi card. Any ideas? I just want to get a sense of how the game will play now that it's down to $19.99 on Steam. I'd rather not pop for the PS3 version since it'll be $60 but I will if it won't be playable on my comp.

Also, how the hell do I turn off that damned media center crap that pops up on Vista? God, vista is annoying... I'm going back to XP when I get the chance.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-09-22, 00:19

I don't know how it will play on the iMac specifically, but I have it running on my Mac Pro in Vista 64, and it plays great. I have the nVidia 8800GT card. As far as disabling the UAC, read this.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-09-22, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Also, how the hell do I turn off that damned media center crap that pops up on Vista? God, vista is annoying... I'm going back to XP when I get the chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
As far as disabling the UAC, read this.

Not sure I see what one has to do with the other. Anyway, http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...nter-in-vista/ seems what you need.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-09-22, 01:21

Trying running the game as admin.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-09-22, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post

Not sure I see what one has to do with the other. Anyway, http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...nter-in-vista/ seems what you need.
Oh, yeah. Well I saw turn off that damned ... center crap and just assumed he was talking about UAC.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-09-22, 15:19

I got it working by using the -dx9 switch on the program file. This is the reason I hate gaming in Windows... I spent more time trying to get it working than I actually spent playing the game! BTW, it seems to work fine with the resolution down to 1280x something (widescreen).