User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

graduation and birthday coming up...what is coming soon?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
graduation and birthday coming up...what is coming soon?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-04-25, 10:58

ok, so my youngest is graduating high school in a couple of weeks, then her birthday is in june.

she is heading off to college in july...she wants:

a macbook
a red nano
an iHome
a tv

now she is going to the dorms and the dorms are small...so i'm thinking a flat tv with dvd player inside it to save space...same thing with the iHome...she gets a clock and a radio and a way to play her nano all in one...

so those are easy choices

but the macbook and nano...do i get them now or convince her to wait till july?

will the nano be updated (larger HD or wifi) in the next couple of months...and, if we wait, do we run the risk of missing out on the red nano (she likes both the color and the charity aspect)

will the macbook undergo any changes in the next two months...any that are important. a slight spec jump ain't a big deal. the current macbook (i keep writing iBook and have to change it...grrrr...i think they should go back to iBook just to help my fragile brain) is plenty powerful to do all she needs in college.

i think she would be fine waiting a bit for either, more the macbook as she has a iMac in her room and really only needs the macbook when she goes off to college (she wants the black...rebel that she is)...but i think she wants the nano sooner than later...so i might have a tougher time convincing her to wait...

thanks

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-04-25, 11:26

Nano updates are pretty unexpected. They have been coming in October almost exclusively, and I wouldn't expect anything different this year. We also don't know how long Apple plans to sell the red nano. You're probably safe to buy the nano now.

As far as the MacBook goes, wait as long as you can. Santa Rosa (Intel's new chipset/platform) comes out next month, and I'd be more suprised if Apple didn't update all their notebooks to it shortly after.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-04-25, 11:40

I'd wait on the MacBook as well, if only to take advantage of the free iPod nano deal - assuming they do that again this year.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-25, 11:51

It will probably be safe to assume that any iPods featuring in the Mac+iPod offerings aren't the latest models, so I guess there's no problem with getting the iHome and TV now and waiting with the Mac+iPod for August.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-04-25, 11:53

ohhhh, when do they usually do the buy a macbook, get a free nano dealie? great idea to wait....

g
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-25, 11:55

From July to August, when the students are going back to school.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-25, 12:18

I'd definitely wait on the MacBook/iPod thingie, gelding. Seems we're right on the cusp of an update, if the dates (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook) and "new technology about to be released" (Santa Rosa) are anything to go by. Those two things are both hitting in the next ~30 days or so....that's just screaming "new Apple notebooks by mid-summer", IMO.

If she can wait (doesn't need it right away for anything important or school-related), waiting another month or so might be wise...she'd get the latest and greatest, heading into school (and they usually do those "buy a Mac, get an iPod" bundle promos going into the new school year too, as mentioned earlier in the thread. You might get a lot more bang for the buck (brand new faster MacBook and free iPod) if you're in a position to be patient.

With all the above factors in play, I'd wait a skootch longer. No question.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-04-25, 12:23

Just get a regular nano, and spray it red.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-04-25, 12:27

I'll chime in with the rest of the "wait!" crowd. Any time you have the option, regardless of expected promotions or upgrades, it's *always* wise to wait for as long as possible before buying. Heck, I'm in the market for a new MacBook (and I'm dying waiting), but my needs aren't yet (!) enough to override that impulse to order. The next couple of months will be tough, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-04-25, 12:48

In other words as soon as an update is released your credit card will be out and put to good use.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-04-25, 12:56

yeah, buying toys is always fun...buying toys that also serve a useful purpose, priceless

i think i can convince her to wait till july...at least on the macbook...the nano will be tougher as her mini doesn't hold a charge very long...hell, you can never have too many iPods...one at graduation, one in july...hell, we can find someone to give one to

g

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-04-25, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
you can never have too many iPods...one at graduation, one in july...hell, we can find someone to give one to

g
Hey, if you can't treat yourself every so often then there's something wrong. Keep it!
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-25, 13:12

I graduated twice already and got nothing. Give me the Macbook and her the rest.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-04-25, 13:25

Yeah, probably best to wait...until she can buy it herself.
aranhamo

2007-04-25, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh View Post
I graduated twice already and got nothing. Give me the Macbook and her the rest.
For high school graduation, I got a Thomas Guide (I was working in Orange County, going to college in Riverside County and living in San Bernardino County, so my mom figured I could use a Thomas Guide). For college graduation, my parents took everybody to dinner. I get my masters in two weeks, and I might take the family out to dinner, but I'll have to pay for that myself. The computer I used all through college was a Rev. B Bondi iMac that I bought used for $400.
spikeh
BANNED

2007-04-25, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranhamo View Post
For high school graduation, I got a Thomas Guide (I was working in Orange County, going to college in Riverside County and living in San Bernardino County, so my mom figured I could use a Thomas Guide). For college graduation, my parents took everybody to dinner. I get my masters in two weeks, and I might take the family out to dinner, but I'll have to pay for that myself. The computer I used all through college was a Rev. B Bondi iMac that I bought used for $400.
My parents don't believe in rewarding me for doing things I should do anyway, which is fair enough I suppose. They took the attitude of "well, if you can't see how your education is its own reward then more fool you." But I'd still quite like an iPod and things, just for not giving them (too m)any scares, and getting to University safe and sound (if via a full-time job).
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-25, 18:28

That Macrumors buyer's guide is worthless AFA the Cinema Display info. Those are NOT updated screens. They have all the same problems that have plagued this rev since the beginning. Unless someone has concrete info that the underlying panel is *new* technology, the ACDs are still (long) overdue for an update.

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2007-04-25 at 18:54.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-04-25, 20:10

mmmm, yeah my kids are borderline spoiled...but they're good kids...

as for the stuff...she needs a computer for college, but she could use a campus computer i guess...

heck, school is 30 thou a year...what's 1 grand more for a computer

g

spikeh
BANNED

2007-04-25, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
mmmm, yeah my kids are borderline spoiled...but they're good kids...

as for the stuff...she needs a computer for college, but she could use a campus computer i guess...

heck, school is 30 thou a year...what's 1 grand more for a computer

g
I didn't mean to suggest they were spoiled or anything It's nice to see parents who go above and beyond just conceiving / giving birth / housing / funding It's my 21st in 3 weeks and I expect to receive a lump of coal with a card saying "jesus says he hates you & richard dawkins equally".
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-04-25, 20:30

g, what college may i ask? is it a private school?
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-04-25, 21:40

no, a state school but it is out of state and out of state tuition sucks (4,800 vs 16,800) ...so we have out of state tuition, dorm and food...that is 25 grand...then they figure books and other expenses at 4 grand

she is going to ASU to the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism...

if she went in state, well we have free tuition here in new mexico...plus my youngest is a brainiac so the University of New Mexico offered her 5 grand a year over expenses to go there...but she wants to go to ASU...

now, because she is a brain ASU has also offered her some dough...so instead of 30 grand it is costing us 20 grand a year...

still hurts a bit...keep telling her that at the end of 4 years she could make 20 grand by going to UNM vs costing 80 grand going to ASU, but she ain't buying it....

like i said, kinda spoiled....

but it will be good for her to get out on her own and it will be good for her to get internships in a bigger city like phoenix...so all is good

it's just money....and i have very little respect for money....and college is probably the best time in most people's lives, so she might as well get the most out of it...

just will have to put off buying that lexus sc 430 or tesla roadster till i'm 60

g

just so you know i'm not spoiled...i ride either my Indian made scooter (a vespa px clone called Stella) or my almost 20 year old moutain bike to work...i haven't owned a car in 2 years...with my daughter leaving i thought i might buy a mini or something...i started getting grief about it...excuse me? my daughter telling me we can't afford it because she is going off to college?

i did put off that decision till after summer just because i
A) ride my bike in the summer
B) my scooter is still a blast for me to ride
C) might get a second scooter this fall instead of a car (hoping they bring an american version of the Gilera Fuoco to the states)
D) figure i can get a second scooter this fall and pay it off and get a car next year...if i get a car this year it will likely be 4 years before i can justify buying more toys, at least until my kids are out of school...

should get better...right now i have my wife getting her masters (she should be done at christmas), my eldest in her sophmore year (thankfully in state...but you still have books and rent and such) and my youngest trying her best to burn her inheritance (jokes on her, i plan to outlive any money i make and die a pauper...a happy pauper, but a pauper all the same)

Last edited by thegelding : 2007-04-25 at 21:53.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-26, 09:55

I can't believe how expensive state schools have become. It's TOTALLY out of hand and unfair IMO. I don't care if you're out of state... no state university should charge 20K a year for tuitition and board. No one can freaking afford to go anymore! Meantime, good private schools are now commonly $35k-50k a YEAR. That's fucking ridiculous! So what, now unless you qualify for massive financial aid, the only way you can go to a top-notch school is if your parents make in excess of $150k a year? That's just wrong....

No university should be allowed to charge that much just for a name and name-dropping ("we have this professor and that professor, acclaimed for this and that"). Makes me sad for a lot of people out there, whose kids worked hard in high school, but have to settle for some local college because every good school in the nation is $20K+ a year. Complete rubbish. And it makes the dumbass athletes who get there because they're good at sports, but skip classes and miss the education part anyway, look all the worse.

But getting back On Topic, at least the computer prices are good.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-26, 09:59

Costs a pretty penny to get your learn on. Good thing I'm dumb...I've got a little money left.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-04-26, 10:20

Yeesh. And I thought my £17,000 of student debt was bad.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-04-26, 10:40

I could not agree more with Moogs post above. One point of clarification though, you'd likely need to make a whole lot more than 150,000 a year to pay for your kid's college at private school these days. And then there are families with 2 or 3 kids in school around the same time.

Sorry about the detour, g. That said, it sounds like an awful lot of gear for graduation and a birthday. I realize it's a personal decision, and I respect your's, but I would be tempted to spread it out over a couple of years - available cash nothwithstanding - as I think one can have too much of a good thing. She's still young, and should be delighted to have a nano for her birthday and a MacBook for graduation. If she'd like a flat screen TV, etc., perhaps she could get a summer job and buy them for herself. I remember all kinds of jobs I did in college (dishwashing, Dominos delivery, Mexican restaurant sous-chef, waiter ...), and I learned as much on those jobs as I did in my classes.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2007-04-26, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranhamo View Post
You still live around San Bernardino County?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Meantime, good private schools are now commonly $35k-50k a YEAR. That's fucking ridiculous! So what, now unless you qualify for massive financial aid, the only way you can go to a top-notch school is if your parents make in excess of $150k a year? That's just wrong....
*cough* Thomas More College *cough*

I pay 10k a year including room and board. It's a very rigorous education, and graduates generally get good jobs. One is a State Representative (Maureen Mooney), another works for various think tanks (Vicki Murray), etc. Not bad for a college less than 30 years old, with less than 90 students (total), currently.

Of course, one's a senior executive at Microsoft, so maybe TMC isn't that great...

Full Disclosure: In addition to attending TMC as a student, I also work in Development for the College.

Last edited by screensaver400 : 2007-04-26 at 11:03. Reason: Added another reply
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-04-26, 11:20

awr...as for all the goodies

ha, no....the laptop will be from her grandparents, the iHome from her uncle, the iPod from her aunt...etc etc...

family flies in and brings gifts at graduation (my wife's family is from the hills of west virginia orginally...good people, but my wife was the first of them to graduate college...so education is important to them and all that)...

i hate to admit what i got her for graduation....but it will be her transport...as i said kinda spoiled...

for her birthday we will get her the tv/dvd combo

in my defense i was horribly poor as a kid (and damn happy...being dirt poor was offset by living 3 blocks from the beach in santa monica)...shined shoes from 7 years old till i was old enough to get a paper route, then lied about my age to become a lifeguard at a age rightfully too young for that job...didn't have much when i was young, so i give lots to my kids...it does make for interesting dynamics...in the summer i ride my bike 7 miles to work each way...my daughter drives the car i gave her for an early graduation present 3 blocks to school....

i wish i was joking about that...she's still a great kid, but i just roll my eyes everytime she gets in her car to go three freakin blocks...

as for private school...god i was so happy she choose ASU over USC...would have had to sell both my kidneys

g

AWR
Veteran Member

2007-04-26, 11:35

Make her work for it, damn it!!

I hope you have a shower at work, g. Seven miles in the New Mexico summer ... sounds like it could be a 'warm ride'. Hope the triathlon training continues well.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2007-04-26, 11:44

i leave the house at 6:30...so it is cool enough, plus the ride is slightly downhill the whole way, that i just have to do a "european" shower at work....now coming home at 5:30pm and being uphill...that is when i am sweating "just a bit"

not sure if i'm doing any triathlons this year or not...but my sister in law is doing an Iron Man this october...so she will be putting me to shame...of course she also doesn't work so she trains alot

me? i post too much on the internet to get in enough training

g

my daughter did have a job her junior year and half of her senior year...we discussed it and let her quit this winter so she could get more snowboarding in...

ok, maybe she is more than just kinda spoiled

cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-04-26, 13:09

Get her a red stingray, she'll love you.